News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

The "Does my voice pass?" thread

Started by Isabelle, September 19, 2012, 02:14:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jennygirl

Quote from: Jen on June 19, 2013, 10:55:14 PM
So I have been kind of freaking out about my voice since I found out my avg fundamental pitch was substantially lower than I thought it should be.  So for the past two days I've been trying to raise it up higher without having it sound strained and without damaging anything, etc., and I mean, it's just been, epic fail, that's all.

So, tonight I was feeling worn out, not even caring anymore, and I just talked into the recorder with my regular talking voice.  No worrying about techniques, or pitch, or resonance, or mumbo jumbo of any sort and, idk... even though the pitch is lower, rough sounding, and just not good, it's the first recording I've made that didn't sound like a total mess to me.  So, I don't even know what that means.  Maybe I just need to be okay with my voice being a smidge low.  Sorry for sounding so bleh in the recording.  I'm still freaking out and hating everything lol.

https://soundcloud.com/user552616740/6-19-2013-9-11-pm

Jen I TOTALLY feel you on the regressing thing. I think it is possible to over practice. That used to happen to me all the time. Sometimes I would take a break from work and I wouldn't practice, then I would come back a few days later and my voice would sound so good! I don't know what causes that. Probably just takes time to build the strength.

Another thing to keep in mind is that for some people's facial and sinus structures, a lower frequency may indeed sound "better" or more natural. It's possible that forcing yourself up into a higher register isn't helping you at all. I think you should definitely feel it out and see where you are most comfortable. That way you will also feel the best when you are using your voice!
  •  

kelly_aus

https://soundcloud.com/kelly-stephen/for-erica

This was something quick I did last night for a friend who had never heard me speak..
  •  

BunnyBee

Quote from: Jennygirl on June 20, 2013, 12:16:55 AM
Another thing to keep in mind is that for some people's facial and sinus structures, a lower frequency may indeed sound "better" or more natural. It's possible that forcing yourself up into a higher register isn't helping you at all. I think you should definitely feel it out and see where you are most comfortable. That way you will also feel the best when you are using your voice!

I wonder if you are right about that.  I have noticed that most women my height I have heard talk seem to have lowerish voices and I wonder if it's just that our heads are just these enormous resonating caverns or something lol.  But I dunno, my head isn't that big, but maybe the holes in it are?  All I know is that my throat hurts and I'm really fed up with my voice atm.
  •  

ZoeM

Ok, sucky work voice time.
http://soundcloud.com/omicron123/rp-test/s-C6jU7
I need to get rid of the glottal bit of my voice. It sucks. :(

Don't lose who you are along the path to who you want to be.

•  

BunnyBee

It sounds pretty good to me,Zoe :).   Especially in certain places it's really good
  •  

BunnyBee

This really does feels like a breakthrough for me, but the mental block going on there is just... and idk how I will fare against it.  Somebody please tell my subconscious that I really do want to use that pitch when I talk?

https://soundcloud.com/user552616740/block
  •  

kyh

Quote from: Jen on June 20, 2013, 03:31:35 PM
This really does feels like a breakthrough for me, but the mental block going on there is just... and idk how I will fare against it.  Somebody please tell my subconscious that I really do want to use that pitch when I talk?

https://soundcloud.com/user552616740/block

Your voice sounds very female and natural to me :) In fact it's quite a pleasant female voice to listen to. Maybe just keep forcing yourself to talk this way, especially while looking in the mirror to reinforce the fact that this is you, this is your voice?
  •  

BunnyBee

Thank you!  it feels so so good to hear somebody say that.  :)

Idk yet how hard it will be to get over that block yet because I just discovered this while singing in the car on lunch break today,  I was like, if I can sing naturally in this range and it sounds fine, why can't I talk in it?   It was really weird to feel my voice start squirming and fighting against it when I stopped singing and started talking.  I think your idea might be a good one!
  •  

Jennygirl

I have become sooooo incredibly aware of cis girls' voices. I'm always comparing mine to theirs. The dynamic of pitch range that cis females use continues to amaze me and it makes me feel like my voice is almost monotone in comparison (in conversation at least).

Range of voice is so crucial!!
  •  

BunnyBee

So many things to work on!  Just have to tackle them one at a time I guess :)
  •  

Sybil

Quote from: Jamie D on June 19, 2013, 01:16:09 AM
To my ear, Sybil, you sound very convincing.  I would be ectatic to have your voice.
Thank you, that's very nice of you to say.

There's still this quality in my voice that really bothers me and I'm trying to figure out how to get rid of. I'm not really sure how to describe it; I'd like my voice to be more crisp, if that makes sense. I hope I figure it out some day.
Why do I always write such incredibly long posts?
  •  

Seras

Hi again.

Been trying to work on improving my resonance. Here is a short recording. I don't think the first 10 seconds or so is too bad. I stumbled a bit on the word "resonance" though and then a few other words after.

https://soundcloud.com/olivia1988-1/23rdjune/s-AOEEl

Think it sounds better than my previous upload I put up here?

https://soundcloud.com/olivia1988-1/17thjuneuploader/s-Hq8xp

I would really like any feedback any at all, even if you are just telling me they both suck. I am most interested to hear if you think there is any improvement with regards to resonance between these two voices. Since if it sounds better in the first link then this would suggest I am working towards the right direction. Which would be good to know :)
(As would the opposite be good to know then I can try something else)

•  

Sybil

Seras,

Those both sound the same to me (I'm sorry, I never like saying that).

Here are some new things I thought of that you might like to try:

1. It really sounds like you're just using too much of your throat to create sounds. Try to do a few fake hiccups; you don't need to make sounds with these, just try to memorize what muscles you use to do that. The important ones are at the apex of the hiccup (where it tightens the most). The next time you try to talk, keep your muscles that way. It will help tighten a lot of things. Try to focus on speaking from the back of your throat, not the front. Another way to feel this is to try to clear your throat, but only use the very top and back of your muscles when you do that (it should feel more like it's around your vocal cords when you do this).

2. I think you may already be doing this because of what we discussed, but try to fill out your throat a little with the very back/bottom of your tongue. You can get a feel for this by swallowing: the part that has the most influence is the part of your tongue that sort of "recovers" after you swallow; when whatever it is you're swallowing has already gone down your throat. You can also kind of feel this when you position your tongue to make an "N" sound.

I tried to pick out some words for you to focus on, but your speech is very monotone. Try adding more sharpness to your words, kind of like shrieking or yelping .. er, not obvious shrieking or yelping, though. They should be subtle -- I hope that makes sense.

Good luck!
Why do I always write such incredibly long posts?
  •  

yanping

so I now I have a fairly decent feminine speaking voice. but I love singing, so I've been working on my singing. Tell me how my singing voice reads.

https://soundcloud.com/yanping-chimie-soong/creep-version-3
  •  

kelly_aus

I'm entertained that there has been people listen to my clip. but no comments..  :laugh:
  •  

Seras

Thanks Sybil.

edit: Spent a few minutes trying to combine those tips you said. Might have some potential, I can hear a different quality to the sound in some of my recordings. Quite the job in multi-tasking though  :D
  •  

Jennygirl

Quote from: Kelly the Trans-Rebel on June 23, 2013, 11:43:14 PM
I'm entertained that there has been people listen to my clip. but no comments..  :laugh:

Well I think your personality comes through a lot in your voice. I like the dgaf attitude you have with it and I lol'd at one of your previous recordings. Your forum handle does indeed suit you very well.

And I do think that I agree with you. Sometimes it does sound a bit feminine or a bit masculine, but I can see that you don't care enough for it to affect your passing, and as we all know confidence makes the biggest difference. As long as you're not using your truck mode I doubt you get read much at all due to not changing your voice.
  •  

BunnyBee

I try not to give too much voice advice cause I'm pretty sure y'all don't want this blind woman leading you across the street.

Ok, a video recording this time, from last wk/e.  Obv still many rough edges, fighting them, I will win!  I'm doing a little better now with keeping the fry out than I was here.  Still struggling a smidge with the impulse to lower it.  Still afraid that if I use too much inflection I will get stuck on a lower pitch range.  Oh, also not happy with the up-chin camera angle lol.  Idk how to camera...
  •  

Jamie D

It is a process, Jen.  You will get there.

In your video, I did not get a sense of dissonance from your appearance and voice.  It did sound a little strained, though.

EDIT - let me expand on my comments.

In your video, I saw a clearly female face, and heard a female voice.  Have you ever seen someone on TV, or heard them on radio, and said to yourself, that voice does not go with that face/body?

Well, I did NOT get that with you.  No man voice at all.  I have three daughters, ages 26 to 19.  I know what girls sound like.  I know what guys sound like.

Your voice is getting there.  I know you are not satisfied.  In time, Jen, you will be.
  •  

Jamie D

Quote from: yanping on June 23, 2013, 11:33:52 PM
so I now I have a fairly decent feminine speaking voice. but I love singing, so I've been working on my singing. Tell me how my singing voice reads.

https://soundcloud.com/yanping-chimie-soong/creep-version-3

Singing is not your strong suit.  Sorry.

(Me neither)
  •