Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

The "Does my voice pass?" thread

Started by Isabelle, September 19, 2012, 02:14:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seras

Well I fed like 20 seconds of the sound of your voice back into my mic and it said you were 150hz average, of course it went up and down. That was just the average level. So you really wanna gain quite a lot of pitch.

An octave is actually not a specific amount of HZ so if you raised one octave from your current level you would be at 300hz and if you raised an octave from 300hz you would be 600hz get it? So you would maybe wanna try and go up half an octave? Then you would have 225hz, 220hz is middle C and is the average HZ for a womans voice I hear. Are you musically minded? If it will help you can can find out which note you are at currently (ish) but not till tomorrow cause my insomniac self needs to go sleep. It is 4am :P

Really though just increase pitch. It is not hard, well it is hard work, but not difficult!
  •  

TSJasmine

Quote from: Seras on November 22, 2014, 09:58:31 PM
Well I fed like 20 seconds of the sound of your voice back into my mic and it said you were 150hz average, of course it went up and down. That was just the average level. So you really wanna gain quite a lot of pitch.

An octave is actually not a specific amount of HZ so if you raised one octave from your current level you would be at 300hz and if you raised an octave from 300hz you would be 600hz get it? So you would maybe wanna try and go up half an octave? Then you would have 225hz, 220hz is middle C and is the average HZ for a womans voice I hear. Are you musically minded? If it will help you can can find out which note you are at currently (ish) but not till tomorrow cause my insomniac self needs to go sleep. It is 4am :P

Really though just increase pitch. It is not hard, well it is hard work, but not difficult!

Hmmm okay :3 Thanks! If you don't mind me asking, what did you use to measure the Hz? I had an app but it's kind of retarded lol
  •  

Seras

Just brushed my teeth, lucky you were quick. I used PRAAT which is kinda tricky to use. So you can use it if you want but you will have to follow a guide to figure it out.

http://www.fon.hum.uva.nl/praat/download_win.html

Or if you want an easier but less effective piece of software you can use overtone analyser. It can only record 10 second segments though unless you buy it (though there is a free trial) but 10 seconds is easily enough to check out your pitch, also it has some really nice visuals. I often actually have it running at the same time as PRAAT anyway because of this:

http://www.sygyt.com/en/overtone-analyzer-editions

Don't stress your voice! Make sure you have water to drink. If it hurts leave it a while.
  •  

divineintervention

•  

Skeptoid

I must state this before too much damage is done. You do not do not do NOT need to raise your pitch Jasmine. You sound perfectly fine. If you raise it you might sound ridiculous.
"What do you think science is? There's nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. Which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?" --Dr. Steven Novella
  •  

TSJasmine

Quote from: Skeptoid on November 26, 2014, 11:19:22 PM
I must state this before too much damage is done. You do not do not do NOT need to raise your pitch Jasmine. You sound perfectly fine. If you raise it you might sound ridiculous.

This is honestly what went through my head too but I figure some of these girls sound like natal women so I assume the feedback will be reputable (hopefully). There's quite a few mixed opinions though sooo :/ Kind of hard to tell lol I think I might just try to get voice training one day.
  •  

JustASeq

Quote from: Hanazono on November 22, 2014, 06:35:44 PM
you sound a bit robotic
I'm into technology ;)
But seriously, a lady robot or a boy robot?
-Seq
  •  

JustASeq

Sweet! I work on a lot of IT support calls at work and it must be interesting to get instructions from the "Microsoft Mary" Like Windows Operating System, I come with my own optional voices to enrich the listeners experience blah blah...

But in all seriousness, my voice is still a work in progress that I maintain by using everyday. I'll try and record some other things after I make some more progress. Anyone every try to do accents?
-Seq
  •  

Skeptoid

Daria is female too. There's nothing wrong with that.
"What do you think science is? There's nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. Which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?" --Dr. Steven Novella
  •  

TSJasmine

I'm back, girls!  :angel:

I've been talking with my voice slightly raised lately & it's becoming easier to reach a higher pitch. I've been working on my voice & I know it doesn't come over night but I want more feed back. In this one I actually show you guys my original voice so you guys can better know where my starting range is. Praat averaged it at 120 Hz when I tried. Not sure where the voice I was talking on the clip averages out at, but I'm not sure I trust praat all that much. Don't have much choice though I guess haha Anyways, here you go. Please give me all the feedback you can & don't hold back :) It'll help me in the long run.

https://soundcloud.com/bunny443/voice-12-4-14
  •  

teamkp

@TSJasmine, I think you pass right away.  Your low voice sounds like a girl who just woke up from a late night of partying.  You come off playful and very cheerful, I would see if you can a portion of the novel and how your higher pitch sounds like.
Hi my name is Natalie.
I am a 28 year old XY who is gender confused.
On this forum I prefer the pronouns female pronouns, ie. she and her.
If you have any comments or questions, please ask me, I am open book.
  •  

TSJasmine

Quote from: teamkp on December 04, 2014, 09:14:07 AM
@TSJasmine, I think you pass right away.  Your low voice sounds like a girl who just woke up from a late night of partying.  You come off playful and very cheerful, I would see if you can a portion of the novel and how your higher pitch sounds like.

Like, finish the novel & see how my voice adapts? & Thanks for the compliment :) Getting a female voice down is so difficult :(
  •  

teamkp

@TSJasmine, sorry I missed a verb there.  I meant record yourself reading a novel or something serious so you can hear how you sound.  I think your voice will pass in a casual setting, but I think the test is if you can pass in a professional or academic setting.  Good luck girl.  My female voice right now sounds like a drag queen, oiy I have many miles to go.
Hi my name is Natalie.
I am a 28 year old XY who is gender confused.
On this forum I prefer the pronouns female pronouns, ie. she and her.
If you have any comments or questions, please ask me, I am open book.
  •  

GorJess

http://vocaroo.com/i/s0snwL7tFtxF

There's two voices in that, one where it usually is, and a small sample of the higher voice, that I can't sustain, not so much from lack of practice, but probably from how broken my vocal chords are. A member here who met me in person said the normal voice as androgynous, doubt it's even that good.

My mother says it just gives me away, which hurts a lot...she means well, and wants me to succeed, but it doesn't change those feelings. :(
You are here in order to enable the world to live more amply, with greater vision, with a finer spirit of hope and achievement. You are here to enrich the world. -Woodrow Wilson

With Dr. Marci Bowers in San Mateo
  •  

TSJasmine

Quote from: GorJess on December 06, 2014, 10:23:47 PM
http://vocaroo.com/i/s0snwL7tFtxF

There's two voices in that, one where it usually is, and a small sample of the higher voice, that I can't sustain, not so much from lack of practice, but probably from how broken my vocal chords are. A member here who met me in person said the normal voice as androgynous, doubt it's even that good.

My mother says it just gives me away, which hurts a lot...she means well, and wants me to succeed, but it doesn't change those feelings. :(

Your usual voice is androgynous. It sounds like a girl with a deep voice :)
  •  

GorJess

Thanks for the timely feedback; much appreciated. That's pretty reassuring, all considered, since it is at least female in other areas, right?

Hopefully it suffices for when I job hunt next fall, or I'll need to get some serious money for surgery and such...
You are here in order to enable the world to live more amply, with greater vision, with a finer spirit of hope and achievement. You are here to enrich the world. -Woodrow Wilson

•  

TSJasmine

Quote from: GorJess on December 06, 2014, 10:42:55 PM
Thanks for the timely feedback; much appreciated. That's pretty reassuring, all considered, since it is at least female in other areas, right?

Hopefully it suffices for when I job hunt next fall, or I'll need to get some serious money for surgery and such...

People are telling me my voice is androgynous too & I'm realizing that I can bring it into the female range insanely easy. I wish I would've realized before. You probably can too
  •  

GorJess

Hmm, fascinating. My voice was always low, basically broken to be low when I was born. I can reach female range pretty easily, yeah, but I can't sustain it. It's my problem if I try to sustain a sung note as well. If I can get past that hurdle, and my voice not tiring out so easily, I'm gold.

•  

JustASeq

Quote from: Annabolton on December 10, 2014, 01:02:29 PM
is this any better? is it close to passing? https://soundcloud.com/anna-bolton-1/win-20141210-135515mp4

I feel like you are "there" with the pitch, but I feel like the one you put up on Nov 20th sounded way more natural and more passable because of that.
-Seq
  •