News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

The "Does my voice pass?" thread

Started by Isabelle, September 19, 2012, 02:14:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

iKate

Quote from: Ashey on July 15, 2015, 07:40:55 PM
Throwing my hat in the ring, so to speak. I've been speaking like this for over a year now, so I know it passes, and I'm comfortable with it, but I'd still like some opinions from some more discerning ears. So here's the ubiquitous 'rainbow passage' in my normal speaking voice. I can go higher fairly comfortably and sound normal, but it's not as natural for me.

http://vocaroo.com/i/s1FAGriMWRF5

Your voice sounds good!
  •  

the bore worms

Hello.

I'm hoping for some honest opinions on my voice.  I'm generally satisfied with it and it seems to pass reasonably well, as far as I can tell.  The problem is that it's just too inconsistent, and on days when it's not sounding its absolute best I'm wracked with insecurity over it which only exacerbates the problem (ie. it sounds best when I'm relaxed/confident).  I've given a lot of consideration to vocal surgery but the idea of even more surgery and yet another prolonged recovery period is very unappealing.  SRS is in less than a month, so just focusing on getting through that for now.  It's difficult - I feel the voice is manageable but constantly struggling with it is a real drag and surgery really seems like it's been the Holy Grail for some.  Anyway - any thoughts/criticisms are appreciated.  Thanks!

http://vocaroo.com/i/s10r6zGtFJrw
obligatory transition details:
HRT 6/2013
FFS 8/2014
SRS 9/2015
  •  

iKate

Quote from: the bore worms on August 09, 2015, 08:55:45 PM
Hello.

I'm hoping for some honest opinions on my voice.  I'm generally satisfied with it and it seems to pass reasonably well, as far as I can tell.  The problem is that it's just too inconsistent, and on days when it's not sounding its absolute best I'm wracked with insecurity over it which only exacerbates the problem (ie. it sounds best when I'm relaxed/confident).  I've given a lot of consideration to vocal surgery but the idea of even more surgery and yet another prolonged recovery period is very unappealing.  SRS is in less than a month, so just focusing on getting through that for now.  It's difficult - I feel the voice is manageable but constantly struggling with it is a real drag and surgery really seems like it's been the Holy Grail for some.  Anyway - any thoughts/criticisms are appreciated.  Thanks!

Well as one of those people who had surgery and can just open her mouth and talk, I can say that if that is your worst voice you don't have anything to worry about. The fry does concern me though but it could add a touch of femininity if used right.

But I would say based on that recording 100% pass.
  •  

Dena

Hello.

The biggest problem in voice surgery recover is keeping your mouth shut. Even if you go to Dr. Haben, the voice isn't going to be very usable for the first month. There are also lifting restrictions and you shouldn't breath through your mouth. The day after surgery, I checked out of the hospital, got on a plane in New York at 1:30, flew to florida where I had a three hour layover, then returned to Phoenix getting home around 10 with three hours of jet lag. Combine that with the fact I didn't sleep much on the trip but yet the next day I hopped in my car and visited with my mom at work. I haven't been at work much the last three weeks because there isn't any need for me and I was limited how much I could speak but other than that, voice surgery slows you down very little. It's pretty comparable to getting your wisdom teeth extracted.

As for the voice sample, it sound pretty good and if you can maintaining it, it would always be gendered female.
Rebirth Date 1982 - PMs are welcome - Use [email]dena@susans.org[/email] or Discord if your unable to PM - Skype is available - My Transition
If you are helped by this site, consider leaving a tip in the jar at the bottom of the page or become a subscriber
  •  

the bore worms

Thanks to both of you for the commentary (and surgical info).  I know the recovery from VFS isn't too grueling but the idea of taking another month off of work is not appealing.  Plus, I am speaking to clients literally all day at my job, to the point that even my natural voice would often be very tired and throat sore by the end of a full day.  So everything would have to go quite swimmingly for me to be even semi-useful after only a month off.
obligatory transition details:
HRT 6/2013
FFS 8/2014
SRS 9/2015
  •  

iKate

Quote from: the bore worms on August 09, 2015, 10:00:08 PM
Thanks to both of you for the commentary (and surgical info).  I know the recovery from VFS isn't too grueling but the idea of taking another month off of work is not appealing.  Plus, I am speaking to clients literally all day at my job, to the point that even my natural voice would often be very tired and throat sore by the end of a full day.  So everything would have to go quite swimmingly for me to be even semi-useful after only a month off.

I really don't think you'd need it to be honest. Your voice is easily passable.
  •  

Alaia

It's probably going to be years before I can afford surgery (if I choose to get it). So I'm doing my best with training my voice. I get lots of practice with my job, but still get misgendered on the phone occasionally. Thoughts?

http://vocaroo.com/i/s1BK9Tc4VPKe

"Let yourself be silently drawn by the strange pull of what you really love. It will not lead you astray."

― Rumi
  •  

iKate

Quote from: Alaia on August 13, 2015, 01:21:09 PM
It's probably going to be years before I can afford surgery (if I choose to get it). So I'm doing my best with training my voice. I get lots of practice with my job, but still get misgendered on the phone occasionally. Thoughts?

http://vocaroo.com/i/s1BK9Tc4VPKe

That recording sounds pretty femme to me. You say you get misgendered occasionally? This was one of the big reasons I did voice surgery, because while I probably could train my voice, there was always the potential to slip back and I did not want that.   

But without surgery you sound pretty passable in this recording. So keep doing whatever you're doing.
  •  

Alaia

Quote from: iKate on August 13, 2015, 01:37:53 PM
...because while I probably could train my voice, there was always the potential to slip back and I did not want that.   

Yeah, this is one of the biggest issues for me. I think I do great when I'm consciously aware of my voice, but sometimes I tend to slip, especially when around friends where I'm just chilling and more at ease. And then I say something that sounds way too low and I'm like 'GAH!! Damnit!'

Then there's also coughing which is very difficult to make sound feminine.

"Let yourself be silently drawn by the strange pull of what you really love. It will not lead you astray."

― Rumi
  •  

Cindi Jones

Femme. Do you ever get called sir on the phone with that voice? I doubt it.

Cindi

Hello.

Author of Squirrel Cage
  •  

Dena

Quote from: Alaia on August 13, 2015, 04:01:01 PM
Yeah, this is one of the biggest issues for me. I think I do great when I'm consciously aware of my voice, but sometimes I tend to slip, especially when around friends where I'm just chilling and more at ease. And then I say something that sounds way too low and I'm like 'GAH!! Damnit!'

Then there's also coughing which is very difficult to make sound feminine.
The problem with voice surgery is you still need to be pitch aware. I need to stay in the mouth voice and it can go a low as 170 hz and up to 300hz or better. The sweet spot where it is most effective is around 210hz but the voice still isn't stable enough for me to work on locking it in.
Surgery for me was the result of no other options. My voice was so low it wasn't possible for me to use that pitch without being on the very upper end of my falsetto and I lacked control there.
Rebirth Date 1982 - PMs are welcome - Use [email]dena@susans.org[/email] or Discord if your unable to PM - Skype is available - My Transition
If you are helped by this site, consider leaving a tip in the jar at the bottom of the page or become a subscriber
  •  

iKate

Quote from: Dena on August 18, 2015, 09:47:32 PM
The problem with voice surgery is you still need to be pitch aware.

This is by no means universal. I do not watch my pitch. I just talk and nobody (so far) has gendered me male by my voice.
  •  

Guinevere

Hi,

I've been full time for quite some time now but I still have a ton of anxiety over my voice even though multiple friends have said it's fine. I feel like I've reached a point where it's not quite right but I have no idea what I still need to do. According to the programs I've used my pitch is fine but I still feel like it's missing something. I would really love to get an unbiased opinion on how I sound and if needed some tips on where to go next. Thank you for your time.

http://vocaroo.com/i/s1gJW5eNYgj3

•  

TheMissingM

Well, I've been full time for three years... although my passing has gone off as hit or miss basically. I have tons of anxiety over my appearance and my voice but this is about voice. Friends tell me all the time I sound normal, especially considering I recovered from a throat injury(related to the vocals.) I haven't exactly checked myself with programs, so I wouldn't really know.

I'm 100% self trained, haven't seen a coach or anything.. just watched videos and read webpages.

http://vocaroo.com/i/s0Plr7AterR1
  •  

Venus

Quote from: Guinevere on September 07, 2015, 07:51:50 PM
Hi,

I've been full time for quite some time now but I still have a ton of anxiety over my voice even though multiple friends have said it's fine. I feel like I've reached a point where it's not quite right but I have no idea what I still need to do. According to the programs I've used my pitch is fine but I still feel like it's missing something. I would really love to get an unbiased opinion on how I sound and if needed some tips on where to go next. Thank you for your time.

You talk a bit fast, but it sounds really good.

Quote from: TheMissingM on September 09, 2015, 11:40:51 PM
Well, I've been full time for three years... although my passing has gone off as hit or miss basically. I have tons of anxiety over my appearance and my voice but this is about voice. Friends tell me all the time I sound normal, especially considering I recovered from a throat injury(related to the vocals.) I haven't exactly checked myself with programs, so I wouldn't really know.

I'm 100% self trained, haven't seen a coach or anything.. just watched videos and read webpages.

I feel really bad for saying this, but I can definitely tell in some of it. The first ~3 seconds are really obvious. I think you can probably listen to it to help know what to avoid. It gets much better after that and if you weren't intently listening for it I don't think someone would notice. It's sort of a soft airiness that you can hear from time to time, but I probably only recognize it because I've heard a lot of girls talking in trained voices. You're really really close though, apart from your opening I'd say you're about 95% there. Just keep at it, okay? You're very close. It may be related to speech or a way of talking itself and since you're 100% self trained I'm betting something like that would easily push you into completely passable all the time, even to really discerning ears.

I'll definitely have to have the surgery myself. It's not because I can't change my voice (I'm actually really good with various voices), it's just... it feels so silly for some reason that I just start laughing before I can ever even get a word or two out, and I'm too embarrassed to even do it while home alone... well alone around others.  :P
  •  

TheMissingM

Quote from: Venus on September 11, 2015, 09:14:33 PM
I feel really bad for saying this, but I can definitely tell in some of it. The first ~3 seconds are really obvious. I think you can probably listen to it to help know what to avoid. It gets much better after that and if you weren't intently listening for it I don't think someone would notice. It's sort of a soft airiness that you can hear from time to time, but I probably only recognize it because I've heard a lot of girls talking in trained voices. You're really really close though, apart from your opening I'd say you're about 95% there. Just keep at it, okay? You're very close. It may be related to speech or a way of talking itself and since you're 100% self trained I'm betting something like that would easily push you into completely passable all the time, even to really discerning ears.

I'll definitely have to have the surgery myself. It's not because I can't change my voice (I'm actually really good with various voices), it's just... it feels so silly for some reason that I just start laughing before I can ever even get a word or two out, and I'm too embarrassed to even do it while home alone... well alone around others.  :P

Honestly, thank you for being honest with me. In the past I've had people I trusted to be my ears lie to me and tell me that I sound absolutely fine and presentable when I didn't. It's actually going to bring me to my next point.. I'm actually at my limit for what I can do. I do sing to myself and I do try to practice certain things but I can't hear myself, or I guess the better way to put it is... I can't hear what I really sound like. I hear what I sounded like before I started training my voice. When I listen back to recordings no matter how hard I try to make it sound different, all of it sounds the exact same to me; A low masculine voice. I've lived with this for quite a long time and it's made practicing my voice extremely difficult... but I've gotten where I am now by basically trying to play it off. Now that I know something is wrong with how I speak, even if it is minor I can maybe try to do something about it so I do thank you for this.

I suffered vocal damage about 6 years ago, so if it's an option I'll probably be aiming for the surgery myself.
  •  

Guinevere

Quote from: Venus on September 11, 2015, 09:14:33 PM
You talk a bit fast, but it sounds really good.

Thank you, I know I talk a bit fast normally and I think it's exasperated because I was a bit nervous posting this. :)
I think it's probably just self perception that makes me worry, so thank you for saying that.

I would like to say also I agree with Venus about the first 3 seconds are very breathy and not very natural sounding, also I feel like it might sound a bit strained. I defiantly think it passes, though the main thing I noticed was your lack of confidence. I know it may be hard but you need to sound confident even if your not, because otherwise you can't sound natural. This might be just because you where recording though so don't read too much into it. I hope you don't mind me saying this because I've not had any training either but I hope this does help. :) 

•  

Sharon Anne McC

Isabelle:  Your voice is quite feminine.  You have much different between your former male voice and current female voice.  Keep doing what you are doing because it is working fine.  You accent is cute.

Erica:  Your voice is fabulous.  Love the raspy quality.

1956:  Birth (AMAB)
1974-1985:  Transition (core transition:  1977-1985)
1977:  Enrolled in Stanford University Medical Center's 'Gender Dysphoria Program'
1978:  First transition medical appointment
1978:  Corresponded with Janus Information Facility (Galveston)
1978:  Changed my SSA file to Sharon / female
1979:  First psychological evaluation - passed
1979:  Began ERT (Norinyl, DES, Premarin, estradiol, progesterone)
1980:  Arizona affirmed me legally as Sharon / female
1980:  MVD changed my licence to Sharon / female
1980:  First bank account as Sharon / female
1982:  Inter-sex exploratory:  diagnosed Inter-sex (genetically female)
1983:  Inter-sex corrective surgery
1984:  Full-blown 'male fail' phase
1985:  Transition complete to female full-time forever
2015:  Awakening from self-imposed deep stealth and isolation
2015 - 2016:  Chettawut Clinic - patient companion and revision
Today:  Happy!
Future:  I wanna return to Bangkok with other Thai experience friends

•  

iKate

Quote from: Guinevere on September 07, 2015, 07:51:50 PM
Hi,

On average it sounds feminine but I am not a fan of the "valley girl" accent. As far as passing goes, you pass. The fry is an especially nice touch.
  •  

iKate

Quote from: TheMissingM on September 09, 2015, 11:40:51 PM

Sounds good to me!
  •