Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

The "Does my voice pass?" thread

Started by Isabelle, September 19, 2012, 02:14:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dena

Quote from: WishnHopeN on December 06, 2015, 10:53:34 PM
http://vocaroo.com/i/s1TW4OIFGFWA
This is a rough recording of my voice without warming up into it.  I don't live full time girl yet so I still drop down into male range often.  Constructive criticism is very welcome.

http://vocaroo.com/i/s1kFukEhv5wv
This recording is a more relaxed version where I let pitch sink low.  Does it come across as male? I'm experimenting/practicing.
It depends on how comfortable you are with the voice. It sounds very good with pitch and inflection but you have fry sometimes that you would be better off without. If the voice is a strain to maintain. You could drop the pitch a bit and use less inflection and still have a very passable voice. Your current voice would pass the telephone test with flying colors.
Rebirth Date 1982 - PMs are welcome - Use [email]dena@susans.org[/email] or Discord if your unable to PM - Skype is available - My Transition
If you are helped by this site, consider leaving a tip in the jar at the bottom of the page or become a subscriber
  •  

Dena

Quote from: .Olivia. on December 10, 2015, 07:53:54 PM
I haven't practiced speaking in a more feminine voice very much, but I am a semi-competent singer so I have some sort of idea of what I'm doing. I also sound nervous in the recordings, which is a mixture of me not knowing what to say and the fact that there's other people in the house. They all know that I'm trans, but I probably sound a bit silly talking to myself.

The first one is just me speaking in my everyday voice. I naturally have a pretty deep voice (sits around 100hz), and have about three octaves of range in my modal register.

http://vocaroo.com/i/s1ZFBD8oGE7f

The second is near the top of my range, or at least as high as I can get before I have to belt. Belting is way to loud for talking though. It worries me that's is so high up in my range because my speech may be squished pitch wise. It's about 200hz.

http://vocaroo.com/i/s09XHHzzRE6v

The last one I'm straining my voice but it gets me 50hz higher. I don't really want to talk in this voice since it will hurt in the long run, and it sounds strained. On a side note I say "215" but I mean 250.

http://vocaroo.com/i/s1CamjqGbJJR
Welcome to Susan's Place. When measure speaking pitch, you want to go with the average pitch instead of the peak pitch. For the high notes, you might be hitting 250 but your average speaking voice is a good deal lower. Another point is you need to use the head voice instead of the mixed or chest voice when doing a feminine voice. Depending on your age and level of skill you may not have had the training to sing in the head voice. If not, then you will need to learn about it as it's critical to voice work.

At a 100Hz you may have difficulty hitting the feminine range, possibly needing a trained voice combined with surgery but this early in the game. speech therapy might benefit you as you get far faster feedback on your voice.

If the voice is strained, don't use it and figure out what the problem is. You might not be using your voice correctly or you voice may not be to hit the correct pitch without surgery.

We issue to all new members the following links so you will best be able to use the web site.

Things that you should read

Rebirth Date 1982 - PMs are welcome - Use [email]dena@susans.org[/email] or Discord if your unable to PM - Skype is available - My Transition
If you are helped by this site, consider leaving a tip in the jar at the bottom of the page or become a subscriber
  •  

Michelle3

I almost forgot that I posted in this thread :/ . Thank you all for the replies for judging my voice :) .

@iKate - Thank you, actually you are right, it was the microphone. Will post more clear recording at the end of the post.

@Dena - :) . Yep i am not a native English speaker. Maybe I am a little bit nasal, but the recording was not the best. Thank you for the opinion :) .

@WishnHopeN - Thank you :)

So, this should have more clear recording of my normal speaking voice. Hearing myself again and again is building my self-conscious at least about my voice, because I am still pre-HRT, I hope that only for 1-2 months.
http://vocaroo.com/i/s0COoSRex3PV
  •  

iKate

Quote from: ThaliaNyx on November 26, 2015, 01:00:29 AM
Here's an attempt from a couple weeks ago, which I just uploaded...
https://soundcloud.com/thalia-nyx/voice-test-11-22-15-25

Here's an attempt from today...
https://soundcloud.com/thalia-nyx/voice-test-11-25-15-1

Inflection sounds good. Pitch needs work. A good start. Keep practicing.
  •  

iKate

Quote from: WishnHopeN on December 06, 2015, 10:53:34 PM
http://vocaroo.com/i/s1TW4OIFGFWA
This is a rough recording of my voice without warming up into it.  I don't live full time girl yet so I still drop down into male range often.  Constructive criticism is very welcome.

http://vocaroo.com/i/s1kFukEhv5wv
This recording is a more relaxed version where I let pitch sink low.  Does it come across as male? I'm experimenting/practicing.

I think both come across as feminine.
  •  

iKate

Quote from: WishnHopeN on December 06, 2015, 11:09:43 PM
Last I checked voice surgery was not often successful.  I think the surgery is still very new and they don't know what they're doing but I haven't looked into this procedure in a couple years.

That hasn't been my experience. Surgery has been pretty good for me, as well as many others.
  •  

Lyndsey

http://vocaroo.com/i/s1AkhJgKC2aa

Yuck I have a bad Head cold and had laryngitis So my voice is rough

Lynn
Lyndsey Marie Burke- Started my journey February 2011 Full time on May 5th 2014 HRT June 6th 2014 Name change and on all records and court documents June 20th 2014 SCS October 20th 2015 with Doctor Marci Bowers in Burlingame California I'm a very Happy women and finally living what I should have been living my whole life. Expect the unexpected. I feel Blessed. Love, Live, Be Happy. Be safe.
  •  

gentlebreeze

•  

Lyndsey

Quote from: gentlebreeze on December 26, 2015, 05:11:52 AM
I would welcome constructive comments on this recording

http://vocaroo.com/i/s0WCi4wnKUEy

Hi Sweetie
Your voice is very Hard to judge. I would say more female than man. but I would not on the phone say Sir or Ms For as not to say the wrong thing. I do know that your voice would be very easy to train ether way. :angel: :angel:

Hugs
Lyndsey
Lyndsey Marie Burke- Started my journey February 2011 Full time on May 5th 2014 HRT June 6th 2014 Name change and on all records and court documents June 20th 2014 SCS October 20th 2015 with Doctor Marci Bowers in Burlingame California I'm a very Happy women and finally living what I should have been living my whole life. Expect the unexpected. I feel Blessed. Love, Live, Be Happy. Be safe.
  •  

gentlebreeze

Quote from: Lyndsey on December 26, 2015, 11:37:28 AM
Hi Sweetie
Your voice is very Hard to judge. I would say more female than man. but I would not on the phone say Sir or Ms For as not to say the wrong thing. I do know that your voice would be very easy to train ether way. :angel: :angel:

Hugs
Lyndsey

Thanks. Gender neutral would be OK, but sounding female something I need.  Its quite difficult for me to judge myself. Using PRAAT the Mean pitch is at 200Hz and the minimum is at 134 Hz and maximum pitch is 351 Hz, so its not the pitch that seems to be the problem. I hear some resonance but still need that definitive head voice and I do try to use intonation. The accent also seems to be a problem. :)
  •  

Lyndsey

Quote from: gentlebreeze on December 26, 2015, 12:57:15 PM
Thanks. Gender neutral would be OK, but sounding female something I need.  Its quite difficult for me to judge myself. Using PRAAT the Mean pitch is at 200Hz and the minimum is at 134 Hz and maximum pitch is 351 Hz, so its not the pitch that seems to be the problem. I hear some resonance but still need that definitive head voice and I do try to use intonation. The accent also seems to be a problem. :)

Hey sweetie 

Your accent is cute. I like it. A little practice and you will be great! Head voice is all you will need. My voice was so low that I had to have voice surgery and then I had to work at it. After a while it will become second nature and you will have a very hard time going back to your old voice. LOL  :angel: :D

Hugs
Lynn
  •  

gentlebreeze

Quote from: Lyndsey on December 26, 2015, 01:15:22 PM
Hey sweetie 

Your accent is cute. I like it. A little practice and you will be great! Head voice is all you will need. My voice was so low that I had to have voice surgery and then I had to work at it. After a while it will become second nature and you will have a very hard time going back to your old voice. LOL  :angel: :D

Hugs
Lynn
I seem to really struggle with resonance, which seems to be much more important than pitch.
  •  

iKate

Quote from: Michelle3 on December 19, 2015, 09:53:22 AM
I almost forgot that I posted in this thread :/ . Thank you all for the replies for judging my voice :) .

@iKate - Thank you, actually you are right, it was the microphone. Will post more clear recording at the end of the post.

@Dena - :) . Yep i am not a native English speaker. Maybe I am a little bit nasal, but the recording was not the best. Thank you for the opinion :) .

@WishnHopeN - Thank you :)

So, this should have more clear recording of my normal speaking voice. Hearing myself again and again is building my self-conscious at least about my voice, because I am still pre-HRT, I hope that only for 1-2 months.
http://vocaroo.com/i/s0COoSRex3PV
Now THIS one sounds really nice. Very good for pre HRT and without surgery. Or just very good in general.
  •  

shelleyg

Hi,

First time post, new to the board.

I've read quite a few posts regarding vocal therapy, and surgery. I am very interested in doing both. I contacted Yesson, but was told that anyone over 50, with fundamental lower than 125, would not have a good expectation of successful result. I believe I'm somewhere around 117 to 125, depending on various parameters, i.e, the full moon, sleep, how many photons are tingling my optic nerve, etc!

That leaves Dr. Haben, I presume, if I am understanding all the helpful advice available here. And of course, professional voice therapy. My *trained* sample here is simply what I use day in/out, and based on my own work.

I welcome any advice, and winning lotto #'s, if you are so inclined  8)

Normal speaking voice

http://vocaroo.com/i/s0kh1TXEj0IU

Trained chimp voice

http://vocaroo.com/i/s0Bmm7dksNOl

Thanks, Shelley
Physics is like sex: sure, it may give some practical results, but that's not why we do it.
  •  

Dena

Welcome to Susan's Place. I was 63 last summer and my voce was about 90-100 Hz before going to Dr Haben. I didn't have the triple but Dr Haben was able to raise my voice enough that my trained voice was pushed into the feminine range. You have a higher starting point so 80 Hz should put you into the feminine range. I think you need to check this option if you are considering voice surgery.

We issue to all new members the following links so you will best be able to use the web site.

Things that you should read

•  

shelleyg

Thanks Dena,

Im just a little younger than you. The small amount research Ive done, much of it from reading thru the numerous posts here, it would appear that given my age, and fo, Dr. Haben is probably the best option for me. I am concerned, like anyone, about the downtime with no or little voice. Anecdotally, it seems that Habens patience show a little more variability here, in terms of time with voice recovery? To be fair, this is not a criticism of his techniques, instead that larger number he sees have more challenges, lower fundamental, median age is higher, etc.

I think I recall that you didn't opt for the triple, but might have some regrets?

I am going to make consultation appointment next week, and hopefully see in in the next few weeks.
Thank you for the PM with voice tips. That is a lot of info - very appreciated   :)

Shelley
Physics is like sex: sure, it may give some practical results, but that's not why we do it.
  •  

Dena

Quote from: shelleyg on January 09, 2016, 09:02:04 PM
Thanks Dena,

Im just a little younger than you. The small amount research Ive done, much of it from reading thru the numerous posts here, it would appear that given my age, and fo, Dr. Haben is probably the best option for me. I am concerned, like anyone, about the downtime with no or little voice. Anecdotally, it seems that Habens patience show a little more variability here, in terms of time with voice recovery? To be fair, this is not a criticism of his techniques, instead that larger number he sees have more challenges, lower fundamental, median age is higher, etc.

I think I recall that you didn't opt for the triple, but might have some regrets?

I am going to make consultation appointment next week, and hopefully see in in the next few weeks.
Thank you for the PM with voice tips. That is a lot of info - very appreciated   :)

Shelley
My starting voice was so low that the triple wouldn't allow me to get away from the trained voice. Because of that, I felt it was better to have more flexibility in my voice than the small additional bump I would get out of the triple. My voice appears it will settle out around 220 Hz which for my size is a pretty good match. My trained voice can range between 160 Hz and 500 Hz which was a far better outcome than I ever expected.

Had Dr Haben told me the triple was needed, I would have handed the money over on the spot but I am glad that I didn't need the triple.

As far as recover time, we are getting a large number of his patients reporting here so you will see more issues. From what I understand, Yeson also has patients with problems who post on the internet but not here. I fully expected a long recovery time before surgery based on how my body recovered from past surgeries so I don't consider a long recovery abnormal for me.

I also suspect that Yeson rejects more difficult cases and they go somewhere else like Dr Haben. In addition, if you are old, a smoker  or just have a really low starting voice, Dr Haben may be the only game in town. The first two are likely to have longer healing times.

One last item, Dr Haben will correct damage or defects while he is in there. The additional surgery will require a longer rest time and possibly longer healing time. If you look at Dr Haben's site, you will see he is a general voice surgeon and people come from all over the world for non feminization surgery.
  •  

kelseygal

Well, I was planning to get some practice in while I am out on business in the hotel room but... the hotel, quite frankly, is scary and has paper-thin walls. The neighborhood is too sketchy to take a walk and do it, so that is out :(

Instead I figured I'd introduce myself over here and see if there is any feedback on where I can improve. It's so hard to tell! I've been doing some vocal exercises over the past month or two, not very formal but at least working on the resonance and pitch some - finally broke down and got the exceptional voice program last week and have been doing it every day since. I am a singer, and my range goes fairly high comfortably, though I natural sit around 120hz. The recording below averaged around 220hz.

Here is what I have accomplished so far (recorded through a logitech gaming headset, doesn't have the best sound, I know). Sorry if you are bored with the rainbow passage, but I kind of like it :)

http://vocaroo.com/i/s1CkUvMJgzdX

I am seriously considering VFS and have made room in the budget for it (yeson perhaps?) so that it is truly natural. Also I suspect the years of abusing my voice have taken their toll and it may need some attention anyways. However I do want to give 110% effort to see if I can swing this comfortably (and at far lower cost) without it.
My name is Jordin, or you can call me Kelsey, whatever floats your boat! Don't be shy to message me if you want to talk, always up for meeting new people :)

•  

iKate

Quote from: shelleyg on January 07, 2016, 11:14:37 PM
Hi,

First time post, new to the board.

I've read quite a few posts regarding vocal therapy, and surgery. I am very interested in doing both. I contacted Yesson, but was told that anyone over 50, with fundamental lower than 125, would not have a good expectation of successful result. I believe I'm somewhere around 117 to 125, depending on various parameters, i.e, the full moon, sleep, how many photons are tingling my optic nerve, etc!

That leaves Dr. Haben, I presume, if I am understanding all the helpful advice available here. And of course, professional voice therapy. My *trained* sample here is simply what I use day in/out, and based on my own work.

I welcome any advice, and winning lotto #'s, if you are so inclined  8)

Normal speaking voice

http://vocaroo.com/i/s0kh1TXEj0IU

Trained chimp voice

http://vocaroo.com/i/s0Bmm7dksNOl

Thanks, Shelley

I think your voice sounds like it will pass with some more practice and training out the resonance. However it could pass in many situations already.
  •  

iKate

Quote from: kelseygal on January 13, 2016, 07:01:36 PM
Well, I was planning to get some practice in while I am out on business in the hotel room but... the hotel, quite frankly, is scary and has paper-thin walls. The neighborhood is too sketchy to take a walk and do it, so that is out :(

Instead I figured I'd introduce myself over here and see if there is any feedback on where I can improve. It's so hard to tell! I've been doing some vocal exercises over the past month or two, not very formal but at least working on the resonance and pitch some - finally broke down and got the exceptional voice program last week and have been doing it every day since. I am a singer, and my range goes fairly high comfortably, though I natural sit around 120hz. The recording below averaged around 220hz.

Here is what I have accomplished so far (recorded through a logitech gaming headset, doesn't have the best sound, I know). Sorry if you are bored with the rainbow passage, but I kind of like it :)

http://vocaroo.com/i/s1CkUvMJgzdX

I am seriously considering VFS and have made room in the budget for it (yeson perhaps?) so that it is truly natural. Also I suspect the years of abusing my voice have taken their toll and it may need some attention anyways. However I do want to give 110% effort to see if I can swing this comfortably (and at far lower cost) without it.

I think your voice sounds feminine and passable, and pretty good actually!

Do you have to make effort for this voice or just natural? If you can do this voice on demand without thinking then you do not need VFS.
  •