Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

The "Does my voice pass?" thread

Started by Isabelle, September 19, 2012, 02:14:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dena

I fixed the link changing it to a watch link. As for your voice, you go into vocal fry far to much and it could use a bit more inflection but it's in the feminine range and sounds feminine. As it is, it would be passable but it will sound better if you make those two changes.
Rebirth Date 1982 - PMs are welcome - Use [email]dena@susans.org[/email] or Discord if your unable to PM - Skype is available - My Transition
If you are helped by this site, consider leaving a tip in the jar at the bottom of the page or become a subscriber
  •  

VioletKnight

•  

Dena

Quote from: VioletKnight on April 12, 2016, 07:32:16 PM
How do you improve inflection?
Inflection is speaking using more pitch range. Listen to men's and women's voice and you will hear that men use a relatively flat voice and women's voices are almost musical. You could record something like a new broadcast and then attempt to duplicate the pitch range or you could use something like PRAAT to analyze the range of the voice you are using. You don't want to get carried away with it because to much of a good thing can be bad as well. Someone like a speech therapist with a trained ear that can hear and give feed back on the spot is another option.

There isn't an exact pattern as when to raise or lower the pitch but a woman's voice carries more emotion than a man's and that is reflected in the pitch changes.
Rebirth Date 1982 - PMs are welcome - Use [email]dena@susans.org[/email] or Discord if your unable to PM - Skype is available - My Transition
If you are helped by this site, consider leaving a tip in the jar at the bottom of the page or become a subscriber
  •  

Dena

Quote from: Ceradona on April 15, 2016, 05:26:39 PM
I... am pretty sure I sound terrible.

https://soundcloud.com/elyas-485893700/professional-rambling
Welcome to Susan's Place. The sound sample is pretty bad but the voice is pretty good. My complaint is that the voice isn't very understandable because it's a bit mumbling and rambling. You need to work on your enunciation and delivery. Part of the solution is to construct the entire sentence in your mind before you start speaking. You also need to slow your word rate so you can define the syllables better. Be proud of your voice, speak loud and clear. With the range and inflection you have the voice could be very good.
  •  

Ceradona

Quote from: Dena on April 15, 2016, 05:46:47 PM
Welcome to Susan's Place. The sound sample is pretty bad but the voice is pretty good. My complaint is that the voice isn't very understandable because it's a bit mumbling and rambling. You need to work on your enunciation and delivery. Part of the solution is to construct the entire sentence in your mind before you start speaking. You also need to slow your word rate so you can define the syllables better. Be proud of your voice, speak loud and clear. With the range and inflection you have the voice could be very good.

https://soundcloud.com/elyas-485893700/professional-quality-public-speaker
I fixed the quality (read: I stopped being lazy and actually did 15 seconds of editing.)
Sorry 8(

Edit: Fix really means you can hear it better. Is it too loud?

..Maybe. I'm bad I'm sorry 8(
  •  

Dena

Quote from: Ceradona on April 17, 2016, 12:06:33 AM
https://soundcloud.com/elyas-485893700/professional-quality-public-speaker
I fixed the quality (read: I stopped being lazy and actually did 15 seconds of editing.)
Sorry 8(

Edit: Fix really means you can hear it better. Is it too loud?

..Maybe. I'm bad I'm sorry 8(
Still sound feminine and it was more understandable. The pitch was about mid range feminine and there was enough inflection.  It match the subject matter of a girl in a lazy day day dreaming or a casual voice. It that was the image you wished to project, you accomplished it.
  •  

PrincessPatience

I know for fact my voice doesn't pass and i've been practicing but i only sound like a high pitch gay guy whose voice is on the verge of cracking. I plan on having surgery with Dr.Haben however i don't how many hz my voice is. This is my regular everyday voice.  Does anyone know what my hz range is now and what can i expect from surgery?

https://soundcloud.com/james-connor-666282680
  •  

Dena

By ear, I would guess you are 120-130 HZ and your voice should respond well to therapy at a much lower cost. The upper limit on voice surgery is about 80hz which is why I need to use a combination of surgical and trained voice. Without using a trained voice, surgery might give you 200HZ which would be a lower feminine voice. Expect the surgery to run between $7,000 and $8,000 by the time all the bills are paid. There may be additional speech therapy added to the surgery just to teach you feminine speech patterns. Without the therapy, you could end up sounding like a guy with a hight pitched voice. Any therapy you have now will still be useful after surgery.
You can use Praat on your computer or PitchLab on a mobile device to do your own measurements.
  •  

RachelsMantra

Male voice vs female voice - thoughts on my progress? I know it's a work in progress and it's still a highly clockable voice but am I at least moving in the right direction?

http://vocaroo.com/i/s0z5DLvkgTuA
Started HRT on September 1st, 2015.
  •  

Dena

The male voice wasn't terribly low but it was clearly in the male range. The female voice is in the feminine range but it could use a bit more inflection/emotion. It's not flat but it's kind of right on the edge between male and female in that area. You really don't have much more to reach a totally feminine voice.
  •  

RachelsMantra

http://vocaroo.com/i/s1dTluD7sdun

This is my attempt to add more inflection to my voice - better?
  •  

Dena

You have the idea so now all you need to do is practice with it so it become comfortable to use. It sounds good and most people would never question it but practice will make it more natural. The pitch and range sound good.
  •  

RachelsMantra

Quote from: Dena on April 19, 2016, 10:22:26 PM
You have the idea so now all you need to do is practice with it so it become comfortable to use. It sounds good and most people would never question it but practice will make it more natural. The pitch and range sound good.

Omg thank you so much - you have no idea how encouraging this is to me - I've really been practicing a lot in recent weeks and feeling like I am getting ever so closer to my goals.
  •  

PrincessPatience

Quote from: Dena on April 18, 2016, 11:23:35 PM
By ear, I would guess you are 120-130 HZ and your voice should respond well to therapy at a much lower cost. The upper limit on voice surgery is about 80hz which is why I need to use a combination of surgical and trained voice. Without using a trained voice, surgery might give you 200HZ which would be a lower feminine voice. Expect the surgery to run between $7,000 and $8,000 by the time all the bills are paid. There may be additional speech therapy added to the surgery just to teach you feminine speech patterns. Without the therapy, you could end up sounding like a guy with a hight pitched voice. Any therapy you have now will still be useful after surgery.
You can use Praat on your computer or PitchLab on a mobile device to do your own measurements.

Thank you for the response. I'll look into voice therapy before surgery.
  •  

MeghanMe

Well, here's my first shot at this... I've been doing voice therapy for a few months and still have some trouble with the low end of the female range (for example, "haircut."). The overall pitch might be a little on the strain-ey side, too. The laugh was a surprise, though -- I didn't expect it to sound even remotely feminine.

Anyway, please critique! :)

http://vocaroo.com/i/s0dtIC203bhD

•  

KayXo

To both Meghan and Rachel, you both sound great... :) No BS. The truth and nothing but the truth. :)
I am not a medical doctor, nor a scientist - opinions expressed by me on the subject of HRT are merely based on my own review of some of the scientific literature over the last decade or so, on anecdotal evidence from women in various discussion forums that I have come across, and my personal experience

On HRT since early 2004
Post-op since late 2005
  •  

Dena

Quote from: MeghanMe on April 24, 2016, 11:46:53 AM
Well, here's my first shot at this... I've been doing voice therapy for a few months and still have some trouble with the low end of the female range (for example, "haircut."). The overall pitch might be a little on the strain-ey side, too. The laugh was a surprise, though -- I didn't expect it to sound even remotely feminine.

Anyway, please critique! :)

http://vocaroo.com/i/s0dtIC203bhD

The voice is in the feminine range and is pretty good as it is but a little more emotion in the inflection would help it if you have the range to do it. A few more higher notes from time to time would brighten it up.
  •  

MeghanMe

KayXo, Dena, thank you both so much!

Dena, by 'emotion' do you mean more high-end? Listening to it again, I can hear that the range could stand to be a bit wider overall. I can physically go higher, but it's hard to hear what I need while speaking. The higher stuff is also still a little hard to control. I'll work on it! Maybe in a couple of weeks I'll upload another.

•  

MeghanMe

Quote from: RachelsMantra on April 19, 2016, 10:05:07 PM
This is my attempt to add more inflection to my voice - better?

Wow, Rachel, this sounds fantastic!

•