News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Music you are listening to now

Started by Rita, September 24, 2012, 11:43:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ltl89

Black Sabbath- End of the Beginning.

It's sad that Bill Ward isn't with them, but I'm glad to have one last Ozzy era Sabbath studio album.
  •  

CalmRage

Quote from: learningtolive on June 03, 2013, 02:20:14 PM
Black Sabbath- End of the Beginning.

It's sad that Bill Ward isn't with them, but I'm glad to have one last Ozzy era Sabbath studio album.

Have you heard about Iommi's cancer?  :(
  •  

Ltl89

Quote from: CalmRage on June 03, 2013, 02:48:51 PM
Have you heard about Iommi's cancer?  :(

Sadly, I have.  It seems that it's untreatable and he will live with it for the rest of his life.  First Dio, now Tony.  It's been a difficult past few years for a sabbath.  Though, I loved the Dio years material and TDYK, so it's great that we got that.  And 13 looks to be promising.  I'm just hoping it won't be Iommi's swansong.

Currently listening to:
Dream Theater- Breaking All Illusions
  •  

CalmRage

Quote from: learningtolive on June 03, 2013, 02:59:06 PM
Sadly, I have.  It seems that it's untreatable and he will live with it for the rest of his life.  First Dio, now Tony.  It's been a difficult past few years for a sabbath.  Though, I loved the Dio years material and TDYK, so it's great that we got that.  And 13 looks to be promising.  I'm just hoping it won't be Iommi's swansong.

Currently listening to:
Dream Theater- Breaking All Illusions

Ah, my brother is a big fan of Dream Theater.

Have you heard Rainbow?

Their first 3 albums (four including On Stage) are really nice. The soundtrack of my early years was Deep Purple (saw them once) and Manfred Mann's Earth Band (saw them twice). Love concerts, but even there i can't really move the way i'd like to. I'm a dancing fool. Then i got heavily into Zappa, Pink Floyd and Jimi Hendrix. Tip: Listen to "1983...(A Merman I Shall Turn To Be)" whenever you feel nervous.
  •  

Ltl89

Quote from: CalmRage on June 03, 2013, 03:05:08 PM
Ah, my brother is a big fan of Dream Theater.

Have you heard Rainbow?

Their first 3 albums (four including On Stage) are really nice. The soundtrack of my early years was Deep Purple (saw them once) and Manfred Mann's Earth Band (saw them twice). Love concerts, but even there i can't really move the way i'd like to. I'm a dancing fool. Then i got heavily into Zappa, Pink Floyd and Jimi Hendrix. Tip: Listen to "1983...(A Merman I Shall Turn To Be)" whenever you feel nervous.

Yeah, I'm a big rainbow fan.  Well, the Dio and Bonnet stuff.  I'm not too familiar with the other era's.  I like early deep purple, but I'm not familiar with their post Blackmore material.  It's hard for me to accept them without Ritchie.  Though, I do love Steve Morse as a solo artist and appreciate his talent.  I just feel his playing style is more suited for the Dregs and his solo stuff.  I love Zappa, Pink Floyd and Hendrix as well.

Currently Listening to:
Allan Holdsworth- Low Levels High Stakes
  •  

CalmRage

Quote from: learningtolive on June 03, 2013, 03:16:49 PM
Yeah, I'm a big rainbow fan.  Well, the Dio and Bonnet stuff.  I'm not too familiar with the other era's.  I like early deep purple, but I'm not familiar with their post Blackmore material.  It's hard for me to accept them without Ritchie.  Though, I do love Steve Morse as a solo artist and appreciate his talent.  I just feel his playing style is more suited for the Dregs and his solo stuff.  I love Zappa, Pink Floyd and Hendrix as well.

Currently Listening to:
Allan Holdsworth- Low Levels High Stakes

Have you heard any of the YCDTOSA discs by Zappa? Pride myself on having all of the YCDTOSAS. Took me some time to find some though prior to the reissuing.

Edit: Listening to:

Living Loving Maid - Led Zeppelin
Dedicated to M (I Got Lazy) - Own work for a school project
  •  

Ltl89

Quote from: CalmRage on June 03, 2013, 03:22:28 PM
Have you heard any of the YCDTOSA discs by Zappa? Pride myself on having all of the YCDTOSAS. Took me some time to find some though prior to the reissuing.

Edit: Listening to:

Living Loving Maid - Led Zeppelin
Dedicated to M (I Got Lazy) - Own work for a school project

I don't own them, but I have heard them.  Live Zappa is great. 

Listening to:
Allan Holdsworth- Letters of Marque

•  

CalmRage

Quote from: learningtolive on June 03, 2013, 03:46:13 PM
I don't own them, but I have heard them.  Live Zappa is great. 

Listening to:
Allan Holdsworth- Letters of Marque

If you have the cash, get Carnegie Hall (4CD). It's pretty pricey, but vintage Flo & Eddie with nice, long solos.

Edit: And of course the reason we got an effects pedal, Shut Up N Play Yer Guitar.

Remember fiddling around with it until i had the Son Of Orange County tone on my guitar, if you've heard that song.
  •  

CalmRage

The long Whole Lotta Love medley from Led Zeppelin's How The West Was Won (including versions of Hello, Mary Lou, Let's Have A Party and Going Down Slow)
  •  

CalmRage

Free As A Bird & Real Love - The Beatles

Then a song that sparked up at the time really confusing emotions in me: I'm Gonna Crawl - Led Zeppelin
  •  

Ltl89

•  

CalmRage

Any of you had songs that triggered at-the-time "confusing" feelings?
  •  

Ltl89

Quote from: CalmRage on June 04, 2013, 09:57:43 AM
Any of you had songs that triggered at-the-time "confusing" feelings?

What do you mean by "confusing feelings"?

Currently Listening:
Transatlantic- Dual with the Devil.  Great prog song for those with the patience to make it through. 
  •  

CalmRage

Quote from: learningtolive on June 04, 2013, 10:50:14 AM
What do you mean by "confusing feelings"?

Currently Listening:
Transatlantic- Dual with the Devil.  Great prog song for those with the patience to make it through.

Talking about listening to a song in denial and your dysphoria makes itself noticed. Sorry can't really explain it in english.
  •  

Naomi

Black Butterfly by エース (Ace)
あたしは性同一性障害を患っているよ。

aka, when I admitted to myself who I was, not when my dysphoria started :P
  •  

Ltl89

Quote from: CalmRage on June 04, 2013, 10:51:51 AM
Talking about listening to a song in denial and your dysphoria makes itself noticed. Sorry can't really explain it in english.

Far from Heaven by Dream Theater.  It feels like the singer is my true self addressing the side of me which has denied myself for years.  I can't listen to that song without crying.  It may not be the same for others, but this one always hit me

still listening to duel with the devil.  It goes on for a half an hour,lol.  Long live prog
  •  

CalmRage

Quote from: learningtolive on June 04, 2013, 11:05:24 AM
Far from Heaven by Dream Theater.  It feels like the singer is my true self addressing the side of me which has denied myself for years.  I can't listen to that song without crying.  It may not be the same for others, but this one always hit me

still listening to duel with the devil.  It goes on for a half an hour,lol.  Long live prog

This may conflict with what i previously posted, but I'm Gonna Crawl kind of evokes pictures of dancing at some ball in me.
  •  

Ltl89

Quote from: CalmRage on June 04, 2013, 11:06:31 AM
This may conflict with what i previously posted, but I'm Gonna Crawl kind of evokes pictures of dancing at some ball in me.

Well, what's wrong with that?   Other than listening to In through the outdoor,lol.  Sorry, I could never get into that one.  A few good moments here and there, but I feel it was a really weak effort by Zeppelin.  I mean, hot dog?  Really?

Seriously, dancing can be fun.  I don't see much conflicting about it.

Currently Listening to:
Pink Floyd- Final Cut. 
  •  

CalmRage

Quote from: learningtolive on June 04, 2013, 11:23:14 AM
Well, what's wrong with that?   Other than listening to In through the outdoor,lol.  Sorry, I could never get into that one.  A few good moments here and there, but I feel it was a really weak effort by Zeppelin.  I mean, hot dog?  Really?

Seriously, dancing can be fun.  I don't see much conflicting about it.

Currently Listening to:
Pink Floyd- Final Cut.

Final Cut? If it's really more depressing than The Wall then i must never hear it. The Wall hit home with me because i noticed i was building a wall around myself and became a recluse during the last few years.

In Through The Out Door is a good album, should have been called Plant/Jones though, if you ask me. And am i weird for having done this weird Elvis impression when i listened to Hot Dog. (I'm now avoiding singing in a low voice. It's not what i like to do the most. And i have recovered a lot of lost vocal range lately by change of technique) Then put on a harmonizer during the Refrain and you got yourself a nice cheesefest. I was really down on Friday and then i heard the studio version of The Song Remains The Same and found myself laughing at the obviously sped-up lead vocals.
  •  

Ltl89

Quote from: CalmRage on June 04, 2013, 11:28:22 AM
Final Cut? If it's really more depressing than The Wall then i must never hear it. The Wall hit home with me because i noticed i was building a wall around myself and became a recluse during the last few years.

In Through The Out Door is a good album, should have been called Plant/Jones though, if you ask me. And am i weird for having done this weird Elvis impression when i listened to Hot Dog. (I'm now avoiding singing in a low voice. It's not what i like to do the most. And i have recovered a lot of lost vocal range lately by change of technique) Then put on a harmonizer during the Refrain and you got yourself a nice cheesefest. I was really down on Friday and then i heard the studio version of The Song Remains The Same and found myself laughing at the obviously sped-up lead vocals.

I love the Final Cut.  Though it is depressing and pretty much a Roger Waters' solo album. 

Eh, I've tried to like ITTOD, but it doesn't grab me.  In the evening and AOML are great songs, but the rest leave me bored.  Caroselambra has a few good moments, but Zep shouldn't have attempted prog.  It's not their style. 

Since we are talking about depressing music.... currently Listening to:

Dimitri Shostakovich - 5th Symphony.  The Bernstein/NY Philharmonic version

•