Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Getting first makeup brush set

Started by silentone, September 21, 2012, 06:24:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

judithlynn

Although this not a direct reply to the brush post. What I have toticed a lot in make up videos on You Tube (where by the Way one can get great ideas for colours on eyes), a lot of the young women tend not to use a brush to apply lipstick.

I do it all the time. What I do first in put a little moisturizer on the lips, then just pat with foundation. I them  use a well sharpened lip pencil to outline my lips, especially the crown or pout. I am lucky that I don't smoke so my pout is perfect. I then use a lipstick brush to fill in and then a lip gloss - my favourite is Bobby Brown to give some sparkle.

:-*
Hugs

•  

V M

I usually wait for a good sale and have a few brush sets  :)   I find that I actually only need a few brushes and probably could have saved a few $s if some of these companies made a truly good daily use brush set

One brush from xxx and a brush from another xxx and another brush from another xxx makes up my viable brush kit

A name brand doesn't guaranty quality, what works for you is what works for you, use what works for you
The main things to remember in life are Love, Kindness, Understanding and Respect - Always make forward progress

Superficial fanny kissing friends are a dime a dozen, a TRUE FRIEND however is PRICELESS

- V M
  •  

judithlynn

For those living in the UK, you can try the following:

Concealer brush: A proper one will help give a really soft edge to the concealer, making it less visible once you apply foundation. Try Revlon's Concealer Brush with high grade fibres (available from Superdrug).

Foundation brush: Applying with this will give a more even finish than using your fingers. Try Vie At Home Deluxe Foundation Brush(available from vieathome.co.uk).

Powder brush: Applying with a big fluffy brush will set your foundation and give a flawless finish. Load with either pressed or loose powder, tap off any excess and apply with sweeping movements. Try Famous By Sue Moxley Powder Brush, which has a mixture of real and synthetic bristles (available from Superdrug) or Clinique Powder Brush made from natural hair (available nationwide).

Blusher brush: You only need one brush with a big head. If you choose one with tapered bristles, you can use it to shade and contour your cheeks. Try the hard-wearing Autograph Blusher Brush, a mixture of real and synthetic bristles (available from Marks & Spencer).

Eye shadow brush: As long as the brush isn't too big, you can use one eye shadow brush to apply colour all over the eye. Build the colour up slowly rather than slicking lots on straight away which can then be hard to blend. Try The Body Shop Nature's Mineral Eye Shadow Brush which is 100 per cent synthetic (available from The Body Shop).

Eyeliner brush: There is no room for error when applying your eyeliner so you need a really fine, stiff brush to give precise results. I love Bourjois Eyeliner Brush which has angled bristles for applying shadow really close to the lash line (available from Boots, Superdrug, Tesco, Debenhams).

Lip liner brush: Another fine brush is needed for this, but your lip liner brush can also be used to apply the colour to your lips. Try No 7 Essential Lip Brush which has a blunt tip to help define the edges of your lips (available from Boots).
:-*
Hugs

•  

spooky

i recently upgraded my brush collection from exclusively non-mac brands (ranging from drugstore brands to sephora) to all new mac brushes.  it was an investment for sure, but i noticed the results immediately.

a brush is just a brush if all that you're doing is slapping some makeup on.  if you're looking for more finesse, a well-made brush will get you far.  for what it's worth, i've always been told that you'll get better results using cheap makeup and good brushes than you will using good makeup and cheap brushes.

i couldn't live without a mineral stippling brush for my foundation, a small angle brush for my eyeliner, and an eyeshadow blending brush.  i could get by with just those 3, but, today for example, i think i used a full dozen different brushes to get my face done.  it's really tough to now in advance what kind of brushes you will end up liking to the point that you absolutely need them, so i'd definitely advise against buying a million high-end brushes at once.  the route that i took was buying the-absolute-cheapest full brush set i could find (which ended up being like $5 on ebay) and then slowly upgrading here and there as i got a feel for what i liked and needed.
:icon_chick:
  •