News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Equality Maryland Update - Anti-Gay outrage on local MD radio

Started by ChefAnnagirl, October 21, 2005, 11:15:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChefAnnagirl

Tell Morgan State Radio to Say No to Homophobia Over the Airways

Morgan State University Radio needs to know that the citizens of Maryland will not tolerate blatant homophobia on public radio.

On the October 16th Gospel music show broadcast on WEAA-Morgan State University radio out of Baltimore, host Duane Johnson asked his listening audience to protest "Coming Out" week events put on by a Gay-Straight Alliance at Pikeville High School by picketing the school on Monday morning. On Monday morning, 15 to 20 people picketed the school yelling anti-gay slogans and singing hymns. Mr. Johnson yelled pointed anti-gay sayings through a bull horn while students filed into the school. Many students looked bewildered while others shook their heads at this profoundly disturbing display of homophobia and religious intolerance.

Many felt it was an embarrassing display of ignorance.  No one is disputing the protesters right to speak freely on this issue or even to publicly raise their concerns. However, we as consumers also have the right to complain about the usage of the public airways to promote intolerant religious viewpoints, blatant antigay propaganda, and create a culture of fear among youth.

Contact the station managers at WEAA-Morgan State University radio to make some noise. Remind them that WEAA is a public radio station serving the ENTIRE community and not just a bastion of anti gay religious pundits. Ask them if Morgan State radio is taking a political stand with the anti-gay religious forces in Maryland. If they are not, ask them how they will handle Duane Johnson who abused the public trust by spouting his personal agenda against the LGBT community.

You can make a difference. Call station management at 443-885-3564 (business line) or 410-319-8888 (studio line) and email:

Dr. Preston Blakely, General Manager: pblakely@moac.morgan.edu
Sandi Mallory, Asst. General Manager: smallory@moac.morgan.edu
Michael Middleton, Production Director: mnyce8o8@aol.com
Duane Johnson, Gospel Director and show host: weaa@moac.morgan.edu

This message was sent to "M. Annamarie Arnow", allwayscooking@juno.com, by Equality Maryland.

Level the playing field
  •  

Cassandra

Here is a copy of the letter I sent. Anyone is welcome to use it who wishes to do so.

QuoteMr. Johnson,

Your conduct on WEAA radio in calling for a hate filled protest of Coming Out week at a local high school was abominable. You call yourself a man of god. Christ did not stand outside the house of Matthew and spew hate filled epitaphs at the people within. He went inside and broke bread with them, drank wine with them and spoke to them of gods love.

Your hate filled words make you no better than the terrorists who crashed planes into the world trade center, or the Taliban who oppressed the people of Afghanistan with their brand of Islam. You would oppress the people of this country with your version of Christianity. By your actions I have no doubt you would be among the first to send undesirables into the gas chambers of Auschwitz had you been there to do so.

Your brand of Christianity sickens me as it should sicken true Christians everywhere. What right do you have to condemn others whose lifestyles you disagree with. Who appointed you high judge and executioner. Coming Out week isn't about you or your religion. It is an individual affirmation that we in the GLBT community have a right to be who we are and to walk proudly without fear or recrimination. That we have certain inalienable rights guaranteed by the Constitution of The United States. There is a separation of church and state and you should be mindful of it lest someone come along and outlaw your particular faith.

Before removing the mote from your brothers eye you need to remove the log from your own. You broadcast on a public radio station. There are federal laws against hate speech and you and your station should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law. I for one intend to lodge a complaint with the appropriate federal authority.

Cassie
  •  

Sophie

That was a very well phrased letter Cassie.

And I agree, these anti-gay "Christians" sicken me. I am a Christian and I believe in tolerence of homosexuals and such. There aren't really any words to describe how disgusting those people are.  >:(
  •