Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

LGBT Gods/Goddesses

Started by Emma Morgaine, November 09, 2012, 03:12:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Emma Morgaine

Has anyone experienced the lgbt aspect of a diety? I have with several including Poseidon, Hades, Freyr, Herne, Apollo...
:icon_flamed:
  •  

Keira

Bacchus would be a good example of an LGBT deity or even Aphrodite.
  •  

Padma

In Buddhism, you have Avalokitesvara, who is also Kwan Yin in China (Kannon in Japan) - one's female, the other's male. These deities, they get to play. I have a mystery deity who appeared in my life a few years ago, a green-and-gold figure sitting on a log in the forest. Gender? No idea, don't care :). Beautiful.
Womandrogyne™
  •  

Emma Morgaine

Quote from: Padma on November 09, 2012, 06:34:02 AM
In Buddhism, you have Avalokitesvara, who is also Kwan Yin in China (Kannon in Japan) - one's female, the other's male. These deities, they get to play. I have a mystery deity who appeared in my life a few years ago, a green-and-gold figure sitting on a log in the forest. Gender? No idea, don't care :). Beautiful.

that is so amazing! latley ive been realling wanting/needing some guidance from an androgyne or transexual deity. i guess just so i can feel a closer empathy or something.
:icon_flamed:
  •  

Nicodeme

I literally just mentioned Loki in the other thread but yeah why not. One of the major criticisms levied against him in the Lokasenna was basically Odin calling him argr for the whole "getting pregnant with an 8-legged horse" thing. And apparently also a "living as a milkmaid and having lots of babies on earth" thing. Never mind that Odin dressed up in drag to learn a form of magic that involved him being in a..."receptive" role, which was considered SUPER ARGR.

He also is totally chill with getting dressed up as a lady with Thor to get his hammer back after Thrym gets a hold of it and offers to trade it for Freyja (and naturally Freyja is like HEL NO. LOKI DO THE THING).

Some people think it's implied that Loki is bisexual or transgender. I always get the "really effeminate uncle who just kinda does what he wants" vibe from him. Working with him has been super good for me because if anyone knows how to comfortably combine being physically masculine, aesthetically androgynous, behaviorally feminine and being capable of giving birth...it's him.

and oh god I'm rambling sorry I have MANY LOKAFEELS
  •  

Edge

lol More than implied, I'd say. He lived as a milkmaid having babies for eight years right? Maybe it's different for gods, but cis people wouldn't be able to do that without psychological repercussions similar to our dysphoria. Also, in order to have had those babies, he would have had to have sex with men and it's pretty clear he's had sex with women too. BUT then there's also the question of how much of the myths were what the Norse actually believed and how much was added by Christians to discredit him. (Not that it works nowadays since that's part of why people like him now.)
Sorry for also rambling. I also like Loki a great deal. I see him differently though.

(Disclaimer in case this needs to be clarified: I am talking about the Norse Loki. Not the Marvel Loki. I like both, but they just happen to share the same name and it actually took me awhile to give the Marvel characters a chance.)
  •  

Nicodeme

Ah yeah don't worry I know you mean the deity. The closest Marvel Loki seems to get to femininity is posessing Marvel!Sif (I think it was Sif?) and crying in front of people.

Which is to say not that feminine at all compared to the deity. :laugh:
  •  

Edge

Yeah it was Sif. He has also disguised himself as Scarlet Witch. In his recent series, he takes a female form a couple of times and it's been stated by both him and the writer that he's genderfluid. The writer also says he's bi, but aside from a couple vague comments, that hasn't shown up yet.
Sorry for the derailment.

For the LGB part, Zeus and Ganymede, Loki and everyone (I tease), Set and Horus (their fight got a bit sexual), and many more that I can't remember off the top of my head.
For the T, Loki (of course), Nun is sometimes depicted with breasts, and I'm pretty sure there are more that I also can't remember.
  •  

ThePersona

Quote from: Skyla Blue on November 09, 2012, 06:28:10 AM
Bacchus would be a good example of an LGBT deity or even Aphrodite.

Aphrodite is of Love and Respect, she teaches us to have respect for everyone who is different and love those who wish to cause us harm (for romantic love see many minor goddesses) though also of romantic love in a minor sense. So yes Aphrodite is a LGBT friendly goddess

Source: Practitioner of Hellenismos (Ancient Greek teachings)
3DS Name: Harrison (from pre-transition)
3DS friend code: 0791 3145 5772

Not sure if anyone really cares lol, if you add me just pm me with yours.

I pretty much only play Pokemon Y
  •  

ThePersona

Quote from: Emma Morgaine on November 09, 2012, 03:12:08 AM
Has anyone experienced the lgbt aspect of a diety? I have with several including Poseidon, Hades, Freyr, Herne, Apollo...

Poseidon is not exactly LGBT "friendly" more allowing, he does not "like" us he tolerates us. Hades just doesn't care about humanity all to much anymore.

•  

ThePersona

Hecate is in some regards LGBT friendly... Though I wouldn't pray to her for guidance, lol.

•  

Kulti

I'm no expert at all, but i did do a little research about this. I came up with a few from a little encyclopedia i was looking in. It had basic themes the gods were about and little categories, which is how i complied the list.

The list i kinda found: Artemis, Athena, Awashima, Bahuchara, Erinle, Ezili Dantor, Hyacinth, Kybele, Longunede, Narcissus, Ochiossi, Oshumare, Pan, Triana - and also Archangel Michael?

Now, a lot of these God/desses are either loving, for women, or stand for something of the sort. Some are just all accepting and some i haven't ever heard of. But it is a list! Note that i haven't done much research into these gods because of personal issues taking up residence in my head. Hopefully it'll help someone though!

Also, just because I wanna put it in here too: Loki <3 Everyone cites Loki, though the book i was reading was rather cruel towards him and didn't mention his love for genderqueer individuals at all! *harumph* I followed him for a long while, and he's still close to my heart. But he is not for everyone, i can say that. x.x
Make it work. - Tim Gunn

*My art blog*
  •  

Hyacinth

There is Xochipilli, the Flower Prince, god of painting, writing, and homosexuality. Whose female form is Xochiquetzal, goddess of beauty, weaving, embroidery, and sexuality.
All Aztec gods have male and female forms, someof which are mostly interchangeable, some of which are not.
  •  

Illuminess

In Thelema our goddess is Nuit.  She is "the infinitely vast circle whose circumference is unmeasurable and whose center is everywhere." In Egyptian mythology, she was the sky goddess and the counterpart of Hadit. Essentially, they are the deified principles of duality: Heaven & Earth, North & South, Yin & Yang, etc.

It is imperative, in the philosophy of Thelema, that neither Nuit nor Hadit should ever be apart when writing about them, speaking of them or depicting them artistically in your devotions. Considering them as actual beings is irrelevant, because it's what they represent that matters: the ecstasy of life.

But there is also Babalon, in her red gowns, dawning the golden cup upon the beast. She represents the female sexual impulse and the liberated woman, as well as the Gnostic view as being Mother Earth in its peak of fertility. She is "the Gateway to the City of the Pyramids, the Scarlet Woman and the Great Mother."

And to quote an author of Thelemic studies:

"Thelema specifically embraces all forms of sexual identity, orientation, exploration, and expression that is in line with the Will of the individual. Thelema is a way of life that very explicitly encourages people to be what they are sexually, not to live up to some standard whether dictated by religion or society. We do not view any particular gender identity or sexual orientation as more natural or as superior in any way. The best identity is the one that most clearly and fully is an expression of your nature." — IAO131

Therefore, Babalon may represent all women in whatever form she may take.

AVE BABALON!
△ ☾ Rıνεя Aяıп Lαυяıε ☽ △

"Despair holds a sweetness that only an artist's tongue can taste."Illuminess
  •  

Greeneyedrebel

I personally found an ally in the Morrigan. She is a very strong proponent of personal sovereignty....and my interactions with her helped give me nudges (or full on kicks in the ass) when I was holding myself back somehow.
To be or not to be....that is the question
  •  

Dee Marshall

Quote from: Greeneyedrebel on August 11, 2014, 07:32:12 AM
I personally found an ally in the Morrigan. She is a very strong proponent of personal sovereignty....and my interactions with her helped give me nudges (or full on kicks in the ass) when I was holding myself back somehow.

She's a great one for (needed) ass kickings, isn't she? I love our Dark Mother.... No, she didn't make me say that.
April 22, 2015, the day of my first face to face pass in gender neutral clothes and no makeup. It may be months to the next one, but I'm good with that!

Being transgender is just a phase. It hardly ever starts before conception and always ends promptly at death.

They say the light at the end of the tunnel is an oncoming train. I say, climb aboard!
  •  

PucksWaywardSon

I started talking to Pan *years* ago... and he's always called me "wayward son" (hence the screen-name here) and now... it's like "I TOLD YOU!" So there's that.
Identifying As: Gamer Nerd, Aspiring actor, Wanderer, Shakespeare junkie. Transguy. time I lost the probably there... Hi, I'm Jamie.
  •  

Chloe

Quote from: Emma Morgaine on November 09, 2012, 03:12:08 AM
Has anyone experienced the lgbt aspect of a diety?

Yea!! The Old Testament is 'trans friendly', as well as the New.

Consider these modern definition(s):
"" Any of various characteristics specific to females or males but not directly concerned with reproduction ""
OR
""" A male whose testicles have been destroyed or removed. If this occurs before puberty, secondary sex characteristics fail to develop, and symptoms such as a feminine voice and absence of facial hair can result from the reduced level of male hormones in the blood. Also see also secondary sex characteristic  ""

I think too many people confuse "religion", as commonly practiced today, with The Inspired Word of God, as interpreted and written by all too human people in search of His/Her true meaning & intent. WHO SAYS God is 'male', most likely androgynous, non-binary for sure!!  >:-)

Quote from: definition thousands of years oldeunuch
[yo̅o̅′nək]
Etymology: Gk, eune, couch, echein, to guard

It ancient times of old "trans, non-binary people" were conferred trusted status, a political rank that often stood (as in 'guard') between the ruling King elites and the 'religious establishment' of the day . . . 

"But it's no use now," thought poor Alice, "to pretend be two people!
"Why, there's hardly enough of me left to make one respectable person!"
  •  

Illuminess

To add to your point, Kiera: Gnostic Christianity upheld the androgyne as a symbol of divine perfection.

"Jesus said to them 'When you make the two one and when you make the inside like the outside and the
outside like the inside and the above like the below and when you make the male and the female one and
the same so that the male be not male nor the female female... then you will enter the kingdom.' "

— Saying 22, Gospel of Thomas
△ ☾ Rıνεя Aяıп Lαυяıε ☽ △

"Despair holds a sweetness that only an artist's tongue can taste."Illuminess
  •  

Damara

Inanna (A Sumerian goddess of love and war) could be connected to transgender folk.. She's written as having the power to transform women into men and vice versa.. She's also considered a rather masculine goddess in certain contexts.
  •