Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

How often and what do you eat?

Started by Cindy, November 20, 2012, 02:39:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cindy

I was wondering about health issues etc and reading how some/many people diet. So I thought I'd do a thread about it.

I eat three times a day:

Breakfast: usually a lightly fried/poached egg on toast, black tea, no sugar.

Lunch: a meat sandwich or a salad of lettuce, carrot, capsicum, tomato, mushroom with either low fat cheese or lean pastrami as protein. I may have a boiled egg as well.

Dinner: Normally meat and veg.  Steak and salad, chicken and veg, pasta and stuff. Casserole, stew depending upon the season. Def the main meal of the day.

Evening snack, Cheese and biscuits, glass of wine.

I'm about 5' 9'' and weigh 60kilos.
I also work out at a gym 2-3 times a week.

•  

Brooke777

My diet changes every once in a while, but on work days it is pretty standard.

Breakfast: Yogurt and a hard boiled egg

Snack #1: two packets of oatmeal

Snack #2: Special K bar

Snack #3: Crackers or veggies

Lunch: Can of soup during the winter, or a sandwich or salad during the summer.  With crackers or veggies (which ever I did not eat for a snack).

Snack #4: Fruit

Snack #5: Chips, or popcorn, or something else salty

Dinner: Fish or chicken with veggies. Sometimes I will make homemade soup or stew during the spring or fall. Every so often I get a craving for steak and have that in stead

Snack #6: Something sweet

Bedtime: Herbal tea.

I am 5'10" and 155lbs. Plus, I am still losing weight. I have a crazy high metabolism  ;D
  •  

Brooke777

Quote from: Liam Erik on November 20, 2012, 09:11:13 AM
If I'm not very busy, I'll have a bowl of cheerios by midday.  Then I will snack on fruit and things like rice or crackers or yogurt in the afternoon.  Dinner with the family is variable and always excellent because everybody cooks.

If I'm busy, I often forget to eat until three or four in the afternoon.  Then I might have a piece of fruit and go back to work until dinnertime, and that will be all for the day.

Holy cow! I think I would starve to death by 8 a.m. that is when I am usually on snack #1!!
  •  

RedFox

I eat six to seven times a day - three medium sized meals and three to four "snacks".

Breakfast is a small bowl of whole grain cereal with soy or almond milk plus some fruit.

First snack is usually sliced fruit or carrots or celery with almond butter.

Lunch is an all veggie salad.

Second snack is often a protein or nutrition bar - though I often try for raw almonds or a small whole fruit/veggie smoothie.

Dinner is usually something vegetarian that requires cooking and a bit of preparation. Or raw food if I'm lazy.

Third snack is whatever is on hand or another smoothie - depends on whether I'm going to the gym.

Fourth snack is only post-workout protein shake or supplement - maybe something low calorie with fiber to fill me up.

Obviously I try to eat vegetarian - but I'm flexible when I have to be.  Eat clean, live clean.  Now that I've got my thyroid meds right I'm really enjoying the energy and health from this diet.  This is what I eat at home.  As I've been in the middle east for the past eight months I'm a little more limited in my choices and can't cook - so it's simpler.  Cereal and fruit then salad for lunch and dinner.  Zone perfect bars and almonds fill in the gaps.

•  

Cyndigurl45

I spread 1400 calories across 6 meals all day long with this in mind CC CC IWDB clucking fish bones beans & greens 180 OK so you must either Count Carbs or Count Calories with all the apps out counting calories is easier, If it's White Don't Bit nothing white, breads buns, potatoes etc. etc.....  my meals are chicken breast clucking fish is fish bones are lean meats beans lentals etc. and greens mustard collard green beans more etc.  and 180, 180 minutes of exersice per week that's an hour a day for 6 days, plus a solid 8 hours of sleep :-)
  •  

tekla

Depends on the day mostly.  If I have an early call, and I'm leaving from home, then I skip breakfast so I can sleep on the bus.  Then I get to work, grab some coffee, pastry and bacon (the kitchen girls love me and give me bacon - like a huge wad of it) and I'll have full lunches and dinners with very rich, and pretty expensive food too, food.  Lots of cream sauces and cheesecake.  When I'm at home or on my own I tend to lots of salads, raw fruit and veggies, some fish and the occasional pizza.
FIGHT APATHY!, or don't...
  •  

Ms. OBrien CVT

Quote from: Brooke777 on November 20, 2012, 08:58:53 AM
My diet changes every once in a while, but on work days it is pretty standard.

Breakfast: Yogurt and a hard boiled egg

Snack #1: two packets of oatmeal

Snack #2: Special K bar

Snack #3: Crackers or veggies

Lunch: Can of soup during the winter, or a sandwich or salad during the summer.  With crackers or veggies (which ever I did not eat for a snack).

Snack #4: Fruit

Snack #5: Chips, or popcorn, or something else salty

Dinner: Fish or chicken with veggies. Sometimes I will make homemade soup or stew during the spring or fall. Every so often I get a craving for steak and have that in stead

Snack #6: Something sweet

Bedtime: Herbal tea.

I am 5'10" and 155lbs. Plus, I am still losing weight. I have a crazy high metabolism  ;D

I have seen this girl eat.  She is not kidding.

I generally eat sporadic.  I usually don't eat breakfast except maybe Carnation Instant Breakfast.  Lunch depend on whether I am home or not.  If I am at school I just go get a sandwich from a local store.  Dinner is usually a chicken patty or breast, maybe a hamburger.  I do snake on ice creme if I have it.

It does not take courage or bravery to change your gender.  It takes fear of living one more day in the wrong one.~me
  •  

Brooke777

Quote from: Ms. OBrien on November 20, 2012, 12:36:47 PM
I have seen this girl eat.  She is not kidding.

As soon as you all dropped me off on Sunday, I ate. I was so hungry having only eaten one meal that day. I can't believe I made it from 10 till 1 without having lunch!
  •  

Ms. OBrien CVT

Believe it or not I did not eat till I got home, about 6.  Even then I was not really hungry.

It does not take courage or bravery to change your gender.  It takes fear of living one more day in the wrong one.~me
  •  

Brooke777

Quote from: Ms. OBrien on November 20, 2012, 12:44:17 PM
Believe it or not I did not eat till I got home, about 6.  Even then I was not really hungry.

That's scary. I think I might have died by then.
  •  

Beth Andrea

I went to sleep when I got home!

Brooke, you sound like a Hobbit, what with having "second breakfasts", "elevenses", etc. LOL...And you did eat that HUGE omelet faster than I did...

For me:

Breakfast:
(either) a bowl of cereal, or bacon, eggs, and toast + jam (on weekends), or a bowl of instant oatmeal, or McDonald's breakfast
orange juice

(Food at work (keep in mind I work 10-12 hrs/day))
snack-- 1/2 sandwich, yogurt
lunch--fruit cup and raisins
snack--1/2 sandwich, fruit cup
snack--3 cookies (oreos preferred)
About 1/2 gallon of water throughout the day

(Lunch at home)
Ravioli, or meat and cheese sandwich, or fast food

(Snack at home)
Sweet pickles, carrots, Smack Ramen

(Dinner, any combo of items below)
--entree
Rice a Roni
Packaged noodles (stroganoff, etc)
Baked tater
Marie Calenders dinner
fast food occasionally

--veggie
corn
spinach
peas

--meat
fish

Ovaltine with 2% milk

Apple juice

...I think for most of us it is a futile effort to try and put this genie back in the bottle once she has tasted freedom...

--read in a Tessa James post 1/16/2017
  •  

Brooke777

Quote from: Beth Andrea on November 20, 2012, 12:57:33 PM
I went to sleep when I got home!

Brooke, you sound like a Hobbit, what with having "second breakfasts", "elevenses", etc. LOL...And you did eat that HUGE omelet faster than I did...

I was starving! We did not have breakfast till after 9! Hobbits have big feet. I don't. I would much rather be a cute elf  ;D
  •  

Beth Andrea

Quote from: Brooke777 on November 20, 2012, 01:00:34 PM
I was starving! We did not have breakfast till after 9! Hobbits have big feet. I don't. I would much rather be a cute elf  ;D

Me too!

You should try Lembas bread (warning: Pop-ups), I hear it's filling:

QuoteElvish Bread. One small bite is enough to fill a grown man!
Minutes to Prepare: 15
Minutes to Cook: 15
Number of Servings: 10

Ingredients

2 1/2 cups of flour
    localoffersIcon SAVE NOW

1 tablespoon of baking powder
     1/4 teaspoon of salt
     8 tablespoons of cold butter (1 stick)

1/3 cup of brown sugar
     1 teaspoon of cinnamon
     1/2 teaspoon maple syrup/honey
     2/3 cup of milk/heavy cream (or more, if necessary)
     1/2 teaspoon of vanilla

Directions

1) Preheat oven to 220 degrees Celcius (425 degrees Fahrenheit).
2) Mix the flour, baking powder and salt into a large bowl.
3) Add the butter and mix with a fork or a pastry cutter until the mixture resembles fine granules.
4) Add the sugar and cinnamon, and mix them thoroughly into the mixture.
5) Add the milk/cream and vanilla and stir them in with a fork until a nice, thick dough forms.
6) Roll the dough out about 1/2 in thickness.
7) Cut out 3-inch squares and transfer the dough to a cookie sheet.
8) Criss-cross (DO NOT cut all the way) each square from corner-to-corner with a knife.
9) Bake for about 12 minutes or more (depending on the thickness of the bread) until it is set and lightly golden.

(the recipe makes about 10-12 pieces of lembas)

nutrition information is using honey, milk, and 10 pieces of lembas

Number of Servings: 10

Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user PESCETARIAN.
...I think for most of us it is a futile effort to try and put this genie back in the bottle once she has tasted freedom...

--read in a Tessa James post 1/16/2017
  •  

peky

breakfast? cafe con leche and a cheese sandwitch

Lunch? combination of rice with avocados or tomatos with or without tuna or sardines or chiken

Dinner? repeat of the lunch

snaks? seldomly, maybe soem crackers and a fruit

Football time? Heiniken and nuts or porcorn

Will pigout on chocolates if blue

•  

big kim

Breakfast cornflakes,crispbread with egg mayo crisps piece of cheese chocolate bar
Lunch Minestrone soup piece of cheese
Evening meal vegetarian curry made with green pepper,mushrooms carrots,green beans,okra,butter beans and peas served with rice.Lemon cheesecake,cake and chocolate bar.
  •  

peky

I should in all honesty confess to eating my kids grub every know and then. They usually eat spaghetti with meatballs, pizza, macaroni and cheese, hotdogs, chilli, and hamburgers.

My youngest boys tends to eat the food I make for myself. Another addendum is that I eat very hot food. I can and do it a raw habaneros and other hot peppers as if they were apples.
  •  

Kevin Peña

At most 3 times in one day, but I only eat when I'm hungry and eat A LOT at any meal.

I eat anything that is real food and tasty. I don't care about carbs, protein, or fats. People are way too paranoid about nutrient intake, especially about carbs. Rice, pork, chicken, bagels, milk, fruits, vegetables, whatever. It really doesn't matter as long as I get enough calories, vitamins, minerals, and nutrients.
  •  

Apples Mk.II

Around Five Times per day:

07:30: Breakfast. cereal or junk breakfast food.

10:30: Mid morning snack, between two and three pieces of fruit

13:30: Lunch.  Sometimes food from home, restaurant once per week (to eat what I can't bring to work)

18:00: "merienda". I should try to control this one. I come home rather hungry and I can devour practically everything.

21:00: Dinner, something light, usually fish or salad.

I think the previous year was crazy enough to eat an Ice Cream at 3:00 AM on August. It was so hot and I could not sleep...
  •  

Kupcake

I eat lots of stuff.  My boyfriend occasionally compares me to a garbage disposal.  :(  We'll eat dinner, then go to a movie together, share a large popcorn, which I'll usually eat almost completely myself (if you've ever had one of those movie dates where you reach over and the popcorn has mysteriously disappeared, you understand what I do).  Then I'll want ice cream afterward, and I'll get the hot fudge brownie with a vanilla scoop on top.  (whisper: And then we'll get home, and I'll ask him to cook me a snack.)

I do unfortunately eat a fair amount of fast food when I'm on my own, but I almost always prefer the healthier places.  Chipotle.  Subway.  Rubio's.  I probably eat two medium-sized meals twice a day.  Once in the afternoon and once in the evening.  I rarely have any kind of appetite in the morning.

I actually stay pretty slim most of the time, despite my bad eating habits.  I can eat 3000ish calories a day and not gain weight.  When my metabolism is high because I'm active, that's basically how much I eat, and I feel incredibly hungry when I eat "normal" amounts.  I can pick up weight quickly, but it's usually not food that does it.

My eating habits and metabolism are really influenced by two things for me.  Exercise is a big thing, but it's probably the smaller factor.  I take ballet and modern classes sometimes, and I'm an avid cyclist.  When I'm actively cycling, I'll probably do a minimum of 30 miles a week.  Up to 100 if I tackle some of my harder routes like I did tonight (there's like a 2-3 mile uphill stretch with a gradually increasing grade).  So I'm pretty active.

But exercise is not really a choice for me.  There are nights where I either let my legs race on a road bike down the street or let my mind race with bad feelings at home.

Honestly, the biggest thing which influences my eating habits is mental state.  I haven't been seriously depressed in a few years, but when I get that way, it's like everything I just told you flips on its head.  I'll have no appetite, eat maybe 1000ish calories a day, and I'll start gaining weight.  Don't ask me how that makes sense.  Usually my eating habits at these times decay into me thinking, "I should probably eat something because humans need to do that now and again," eating some terrible junk food, and then not eating for the rest of the day.  Luckily, I'm past that lifestyle now.

Honestly, to all the trans people dealing with weight issues, I think the best "diet" is simply two rules:

1.  Find a physical activity you _enjoy_ doing enough that you do it freely and willingly, then make it as easy as possible for yourself to do it.  Since I have a road bike, I do have to fix pressure every time I ride, but I can basically pick up a few things and be gone in less than 5 minutes at any time.

2.  Fight to keep yourself happy and as positive as you can be, even if that's only a little.

Sometimes you have people with outright terrible eating habits which should be fixed, but I think 99% of people eat the same way: sometimes for hunger and sometimes for comfort.  So I really think the two changes above will probably do more to help people with weight than any forced dietary modification, since the above things have lasting effects.

That was a little rambling, sorry.  I think my blood is still pumping a little from the ride.
  •  

luna nyan

My diet is a mixed bag.  I'm not a morning person, so unfortunately, by the time I get up, it's a case of get to work, and if I"m lucky, I get a cup of coffee to start the day.

I do have a proper meal at lunch, and a decent dinner as well - most of the time my food is a reasonable mix of carbs (rice, breads), meats, and vegetables.  Moderation in everything, then I spoil it with my sweet tooth!  As far as my weight is concerned, it yo-yos a lot - as soon as I start exercising more, it drops down quite rapidly.  Staying injury free long enough to do so is more the issue for me.  I don't worry about my weight until I my clothes feel tightish around my tummy.

I do enjoy my food, and would indulge in eating out more, except it's getting too expensive, and there just isn't the time right now.
Drifting down the river of life...
My 4+ years non-transitioning HRT experience
Ask me anything!  I promise you I know absolutely everything about nothing! :D
  •