Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

My low dose HRT experience (was 9 month low dose HRT)

Started by luna nyan, November 21, 2012, 08:05:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

luna nyan

Quote from: AnonyMs on January 16, 2015, 07:34:49 PM
I think its worth a try for a 90% chance of it working, and its such a pity it didn't. Back to twice a day Microgest for me.

I know I have bad luck for this sort of thing so I passed.  Under 5% complication rate then I'd say yes.
Drifting down the river of life...
My 4+ years non-transitioning HRT experience
Ask me anything!  I promise you I know absolutely everything about nothing! :D
  •  

Claraaa

I have been considering this as an option and have found your posts very helpful!!  Thank you so much for taking the time and keeping this updated.

Clara
  •  

Stacymi

What great information! !!!   I am wanting to partially feminize, specifically soften my skin and move some weight to my backside and hips without breast growth. In your collective opinion, can this be achieved through low dosage HRT?  Maybe estrogen without the antiandrogen? Thank you for your great insight.   Stacy ☺
  •  

KayXo

I don't think so, breast growth is part of the package.
I am not a medical doctor, nor a scientist - opinions expressed by me on the subject of HRT are merely based on my own review of some of the scientific literature over the last decade or so, on anecdotal evidence from women in various discussion forums that I have come across, and my personal experience

On HRT since early 2004
Post-op since late 2005
  •  

AnonyMs

Quote from: Stacymi on February 25, 2015, 02:43:30 PM
What great information! !!!   I am wanting to partially feminize, specifically soften my skin and move some weight to my backside and hips without breast growth. In your collective opinion, can this be achieved through low dosage HRT?  Maybe estrogen without the antiandrogen? Thank you for your great insight.   Stacy ☺
I got all that with breast growth. Estrogen without anti-androgen. I don't think low dose has any particular meaning though perhaps there's a lower dose that might work. I tend to think breasts will grow, just slower than they might otherwise, but I don't actually know. There's genetics as well, so if your family has small breasts that's likely where you start heading. And be prepared to change you mind about wanting low dose after you start, as it has a powerful mental effect.
  •  

luna nyan

Quote from: Stacymi on February 25, 2015, 02:43:30 PM

It's a package deal unfortunately.

Dosage will affect the degree of skin changes, fat distribution, and breast growth.  It's just that with low dose it happens a lot slower, and to a lesser degree.  I did start on low E only and only added spiro to drop T levels down.

While I was on half dose HRT my E and T levels were basically low end F for E, low end T for M.   When I switched to pellet, I effectively ended up on lowest possible transition dose, but I'm riding the fact that family members are small breasted and I'm keeping slim to stifle breast development.  In spite of that, I'm probably an Aa to A cup and my breasts are telling me I need a bra for running.

I'm due to update again, need to find some time to gather my thoughts.
  •  

Stacymi

Thank you for all the input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  •  

ChiGirl

This has been very helpful and informative.  Thank you, Luna.
  •  

luna nyan

It's close enough to 3 years that I think I'll update.  Pardon if this post is slightly steam of consciousness but I'm drugged up to the gills to counter a bad head cold.

So since November 2014, I've been on a progynova pellet (6 month dose), and completely off Spiro.

Physical stuff:
1.  Over 3 years, net gain in weight has been 2-3kg, with an 8kg peak spike last year.
2.  Weight gain attributed to some lean muscle loss with no reduction in calorie intake.
3.  Skin is soft, but delicate - I definitely bruise very easily these days.  Going to have to raise the issue with my endo at next appointment.
4.  Head full of hair, but how much can be attributed to HRT is hard to quantify.  Males on my mothers side of the family tend not to go bald.  However, in comparison to my peers, I probably have the best hairline.  :)
5.  Body hair has thinned out.  This only really occurred over the year I've been on pellet.  Epilating is far easier now.
6.  Moobs/breasts - A cup ish.  I don't measure.  They definitely let me know they are there when running.  Still tender - it comes and goes and it varies my sleeping position. Careful palpation and I can feel the glands.  Areoles dark and around 4cm, nipples about 7mm.  Not too much happening on that front.  They are definitely getting full towards the midline, but still have the snoopy look.
7.  Fat distribution - some has gone to the hips, but if I gain weight rapidly, it deposits on the belly.  I've always had a big booty, so not much change on that front.
8.  Since going off spiro, I no longer get faint changing position rapidly.  And I don't miss having to go bathroom so often.
9.  My half dozen remaining facial hairs grow extremely slowly.  Annoying enough to need to "shave" every 4 days or so, but insufficient to justify taking the time out for touch up electro.  Tempting to just pluck them.
10.  The new pellet packaging is great - much better healing this time - still a discolouration over the site, but the pellet itself barely noticeable.

Physc:
1.  Libido is low.
2.  Dysphoria is low,  but whether it is due to HRT itself or just being extremely busy, I can't say.  The temptation to go further is always there, but self discipline is the key.  I definitely do not have the "transition or die" level of dysphoria, but that's something that I've never had in the first place.
3.  I can tear up at the silliest things sometimes.  Watching emotional tv that I can directly relate to my own family has the Kleenex out.

Presentation wise I look about 10 years younger than my age, and have an androgynous sort of presentation without putting any effort into it.  With a bit of effort, male fail probably would happen.

This stuff is double edged.  It's a helpful diagnostic aid, occasionally therapeutic, but could easily take you down a path that you are unprepared for.  Tread carefully.
  •  

AnonyMs

Hi Luna,

You're in Sydney I think? I'm curious about the new pellet packaging. I never heard of it. Could you say more?

I get the age thing as well, I had someone guess my age as 18 years younger a while ago. I'm still not sure if they were serious or not.

Quote from: luna nyan on February 26, 2015, 04:23:23 AM
This stuff is double edged.  It's a helpful diagnostic aid, occasionally therapeutic, but could easily take you down a path that you are unprepared for.  Tread carefully.
I like the way you put that. Unprepared for. So true.
  •  

judithlynn

Wow;
I didn't realise that its been over 1 year since I posted my progress on low dose HRT to Luna your thread. Well here is my progress. I have now been on low dose Progynova for a little over 2 years, although a few months ago my doctor decided that I should increase the dosage so that I am taking the same dose, but at night time before I go to bed and then again 12 hours later in the early morning. Basically he said he wanted me to have a steady even flow of Oestrogen in my blood stream now that my T level was below 1.0 (Females general have from 0.0 to 2.5). He indicated to me last October that hormonally now I am female.

In terms of other things:-

Moods:
I am finding that I day dream a lot and have definitely lost the male competitive edge in business. In fact its a bit of a strange feeling, but I constantly feel as though I want to  be graceful and be very relaxed about everything. The feelings that I had over a year ago around men have in every way just got much stronger in that I am no longer outward going and I have become very passive. Its something that i really like about the new me and in fact I find I like to flirt. Realistically the longer I am on Oestrogen the more passive and submissive I seem to get. I am definitely no longer competitive around men
My crying bouts seem to happen much more often and I seem to burst into tears  much more easily.

I can no longer smell other women (except a nice perfume), but my goodness standing next to a man - I get this real  strong  susceptibility to male pheromones and in fact whereas I am still very attracted to women could see having a sexual relationship with the right man. But he would have to be strong, fit and very masculine and be  the one taking charge as I would only want to be the submissive one in the relationship.

I have defiantly changed shape. I have added about 3 inches to my bottom cheeks and male trousers don't fit anymore so I wear women's jeans, shorts and pants most of the time as they fit my bottom much better.
Unfortunately even with a pretty hard exercise regime (gym and Water aerobics) my waistline has not dropped enough and I am stuck at 114Kg, but  am much fitter that I used to be

My deportment coach has me doing at least 1 hour a day practice in high heels and with my changed shape (bigger butt and bigger bobs - more of that in a minute) my centre of gravity has changed a bit and its getting a lot easier to stand properly and walk in heels. One little thing I have learnt which really helps is that when standing still in heels place ones left foot out at 45 degrees to the left about midway along your right foot with the weight on the right foot , remembering to stick you butt out, head and chin up and boobs out with a bit of a curved back. Its a very sexy look.

One interesting side effect of the low dose is my libido is at an all time low. In fact even though HRT is sort of addictive (once you really start to get the changes there is a risk you want them much faster), but I have tried to do this all gradually.

Last month I was in Adelaide out with Cindy at a restaurant and for the first time saw this woman looking at me   (it was me silly in the mirror) and I realised that I actually finally looked 100% like a woman. This is something girlfriends have been telling me for months, but I have definitely now passed the male fall line.  So I suppose its all downhill from now.

Physical changes
Weight: I have managed not to gain any more weight, but cannot seem to break the 114KG barrier. Probably its because of the increased Oestrogen but compensated by my exercise program and walking at lot. Interestingly since my dosage got doubled my arthritis in my knees has improved a lot. I didn't realise that HRT would solve this problem (or at least ease the pain!.

Breasts: I am now a large B Cup, small C Cup with a lot of breast tissue at the side and especially in the mornings have a definite Pear shape to them with my nipples very pointed.  In fact my nipples are very erect all the time and very noticeable in the gym (even with a Sports bra on) My Areolae, are now quite large and very female in look and shape. I am these days wearing a bra all the time as I need to keep them from jiggling up and down with Shirts etc as they have become very obvious. . Also about 1 hour after I take my morning dose my nipples seem particularly sensitive.  My breasts are also still growing, but they seem to have growth spurts (not at the same time).  Interestingly I have very good quality Amoena breast forms, but I cannot wear them any longer with my B Cup  bras, because my own breasts almost fill the cup, so I have just been using a Padded C Cup Bra (But I find them still a bit too big). Mind you I invested in a couple of really pretty bra and panty sets from my favourite Lingerie supplier (French Lingerie - Simone Perele). With my new  curves they look really great and I finally have some cleavage!

I did consider BA Last year and went for a Consultation, but the surgeon advised (as did some other girlfriends) not to do it until I have had 4-5 years of solid growth  as all the women in my family have been big breasted. My mother and grandmother were all DDD.

Body Hair:  Hair has disappeared in my lower legs and is a very fine on my upper legs. Two years ago after waxing they would be back especially on the bikini line and upper thighs in 2 weeks. Now even after 12 weeks they are just very fair and thin. My back hair has almost gone and I no longer have any hair in the small of my bcd or on my buttocks.

In fact my buttocks with the increased shape are starting to look really nice, but having seen Jennygirls result from Dr Hughes Brazilian Butt lift I am really thinking about going to him a those curves are really something!.

Hair: I am growing hair on my bald patch after 20 year, but unfortunately not enough to cover it. So I am reluctantly faced with using a wig long term. But I have invested in a human hair really nice mousy blonde news wig that has made a real difference to my overall presentation. In fact my beauty therapists believe that this and the amazing results on my upper lip and chin have all made my passing so much easier. It helps also that I don't have an Adams Apple.

On that point, I no longer have any dark hairs on my upper lip or chin after 10 Laser sessions, but I do have quite a few white hairs that need to be taken out with Electrolysis

Skin: My skin is very very soft all over especially my face legs and inner thighs. I am rigourous with my twice daily beauty regime and I have a facial with chemical peel derbrasion once a month. I had one last week and even my beauty therapist commented on how soft and fresh my English complexion skin  felt.. One thing is that I have discovered a lot of body erogenous zones that I didn't have as a man. In fact when I am with a woman  breast on breast or fingers on my inner thighs or behind my ear lobes - well Wow!!.

Facial changes: A lot of people have commented that I have a female aura about me and my cheeks are very definantly rounder. In fact I went to the cinema recently and asked for a Seniors card entry. The receptionist didn't believe me as she reckoned I was late 40's. so i had to get my senior card out to prove it!.

The Medical stuff
1. Blood pressure seems to have stabilised although occasionally the stress does tend to get to more than it did.
2. Libido is non existent
3. Nothing works below which is great and its getting smaller too and much easier to tuck. But I HAVE to sit down now to pee. This is good thing, but I have to remind myself when presenting in male mode not to use the stalls.

Physical:
My nipples are very female in shape and size and always extended. They are periodically incredibly sensitive , but a little Elocon ointment smeared over the nipple and around the Areolae at night can help if the pain and itching gets too much. For me this really helps tremendously and the pain subsides quite rapidly.  My muscle mass has decreased a lot it has a more slender appearance now. and My arm strength has completely gone and I really struggle now to open tight bottles

Mental: My emotions are much more evident now. I cry more easily. My sex drive has also decreased a fair bit too. Plus the best thing is that I feel so happy, a lot of the time, but I also go into a bit of a daze at times and am a lot more pensive.  I have also found that my reversing skills on the car have left me and when out and about especially at traffic lights I never miss a chance to check my lipstick or mascara in the mirror.

Movement:  Seeing my Deportment coach on a monthly basis has helped me a lot and I have done some corset training (here is an really nice Corset store in Melbourne called Siren Doll) that I use and with both an over bust corset and an under bust one that I have with my new curves and buttocks, my posture has changed.

Overall I think the biggest changes though for me is the emotional and mental changes in that I really think  and feel different now and I am noticing men much more that I though I would . In fit some are really cute.

I have been thinking a lot recently as to whether at my age I want SRS. What more probable for me at least is lip suction on my waist, back and tummy to get a more defined and female waist and I am really interested in Dr Hughes (in LA)  Brazilian Butt lift to give a more dehired waist to buttocks  definition and rounder curves, and I am sure that I will eventually need Breast Augmentation as I really would like to have DD size breasts as my relatives have. I am just not sure I want the full SRS Package. Yes if I had fully transitioned in my 30s I would have welcomed it then , but now well!!!
:-*
Hugs

•  

luna nyan

Quote from: AnonyMs on February 26, 2015, 05:14:09 AM
Hi Luna,

You're in Sydney I think? I'm curious about the new pellet packaging. I never heard of it. Could you say more?

I get the age thing as well, I had someone guess my age as 18 years younger a while ago. I'm still not sure if they were serious or not.

I like the way you put that. Unprepared for. So true.

The new pellet is 3mm diameter.  That means a smaller incision, and that means tape rather than a suture.  I definitely didn't enjoy removing a suture from my butt cheek so I was really really happy this time around.  And yes, I'm in Sydney.
  •  

AnonyMs

Quote from: luna nyan on March 02, 2015, 02:17:36 AM
The new pellet is 3mm diameter.  That means a smaller incision, and that means tape rather than a suture.  I definitely didn't enjoy removing a suture from my butt cheek so I was really really happy this time around.  And yes, I'm in Sydney.
I'll look into that for the next one. I hope its the same for whatever I'm using. I'm not doing low dose.

I can't reach to take the suture out, I wish I could. I go to the doctor and while they take it out they do tend to get upset when I won't say why its there.

Thanks
  •  

Emily R

Luna,

Thank you very much for keeping us aware of what is going with your HRT. It seems that you now have gone to full dosage which it is not what I am looking for at this time, but it still of great information.

Please keep posting your medical as well as you physical changes as it is very interesting to go back and learn how you have progressed and how my life changes in comparison to yours, hopefully my changes will start very soon.

Thank you and please continue.

Emily
  •  

luna nyan

Quote from: Emily R on March 02, 2015, 07:21:06 AM
Luna,

Thank you very much for keeping us aware of what is going with your HRT. It seems that you now have gone to full dosage which it is not what I am looking for at this time, but it still of great information.

Emily

It's more an awkward in between.  Call it wishy washy dose.  I'm on a pellet that lasts 6 months, but no spiro.  So  it's only the estrogen pellet suppressing my T levels.  I could possible go onto a lower dose pellet, but it'd mean 3 monthly replacement and I don't have the time for that.

My E levels peak at 500 and fall to 350 at the end of a pellet.
  •  

luna nyan

Update time:
Checked in with my endo.  The last time I saw him 6 months ago he placed another progynova implant at the same dosage to maintain.

The blood test readings: 600 E! 0.2 T.  This is into transition range, and this is at 6 month since placement of the last one.

Pellet effect is cumulative, so I'm sitting tight for now as topping up with a lower dose pellet wouldnt do much., and another pellet of my current dose would my E levels over 1000.

Changes have continued,  but have been very gradual - my breasts continue to be tender.
Skin is translucent, and bruises very easily.

Next review in 3 months, likely will have to have the implant replaced then.
  •  

Emily R

Luna,

Thank you for continuing updating this topic although at this point you are on full dosage.

I started my low dosage a month ago  with only estradiol and no spiro at this time, I will have a consultation with my endo at 3 months time and so far I have only notice that I have some sensitivity on the breasts, and the nocturnal erections have gone away, oh also I have notice that body hair is growing slower.

Please continue with your updates as they have served me to understand and plan my own transition,

Emily
  •  

luna nyan

My pellet dosage is still effectively half dose compared to what my endo usually prescribes for transitioning.

Pellets are just very efficient at delivering E so I've ended up with transition levels in blood work.  That's why I'm sitting tight and didn't have the pellet refreshed.
  •  

judithlynn

Hi Luna Nyan;
I have been considering asking my GP for a referral to Monash to an Endo to get a pellet implant as I take  my Oestrogen twice a day (12 hours gap) sublingually, and its a hassle. (My GP says he doesn't do pellets). But reading your situation I am wondering if this might really push me over the edge. Since on my trip to my house in the UK, many of my friends and relatives commented how well I looked and how I somehow looked 10 years younger and so much more relaxed. In fact my closest female relative sorted of guessed by saying how radiant I looked almost as if I was a pregnant woman!. So I reckon that although I would like not to have the hassle , the pellet approach may be too much and really push me over the edge so as to speak into 100% male fail..
Yes you are absolutely right  taking Oestrogen long term is a slow but sure cumulative effect at least that is what I have found with my T levels now getting very low, but my Oestrogen climbing al the time. Its almost as though my T  production has shut down almost completely. Whats surprising is that this is without any Anti Androgens ever.
Judithlynn
:-*
Hugs

•  

luna nyan

Judith,

The pellets are compounded into different dosages.  The lowest dose theoretically would only last 3 months before a refresh is needed.

Although the lowest dose would probably have kept me at where I was before, the fact that I'd have to have a minor surgical procedure quarterly put me off, so I gambled on the 6 month.

As a non transitioner, fortunately I'm blessed with minimal visits from the boob fairy and aa to a sized boobs can be hidden on a person with my frame.

I probably won't update my situation here till mid to late August after the next blood test.
  •