Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

My low dose HRT experience (was 9 month low dose HRT)

Started by luna nyan, November 21, 2012, 08:05:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

luna nyan

Facial hair removal generally isn't obvious IMHO unless you're doing other stuff on the side (brows, hair etc)
Drifting down the river of life...
My 4+ years non-transitioning HRT experience
Ask me anything!  I promise you I know absolutely everything about nothing! :D
  •  

alexia

Thanks Luna and KaityLynn.  I would like to start hair removal as I hate seeing the growth in the mirror.  I just have to convince my wife it won't be too noticeable and your post will give some weight to my reasoning.  But I just need patience.   Basically I love my wife and kids so a slow transition is a price for not sorting things out earlier (although I wouldn't change the past tho).  Also even my slow progress has made me happier then ever.  But is a bit frustrating:)

hugs,
Alexia
  •  

alexia

I guess the issue is my wife seems ok with me starting HRT on low dose provided its a non social transition (although that may change close to the start date).  My wife is uncomfortable (doesn't want me to start) with me starting laser facial hair removal.  So do I try and convince my wife to get facial hair removal but that may be at the cost of a few years starting HRT??  I like the idea of HRT because it may alleviate my dysphoria (which I guess most understand it drives you nuts:(

Fortunately I have a gender therapist, a psychologist, a GP and these forums to talk to so I'm confident I come up with a reasonable solution.

Alexia
  •  

AnonyMs

Quote from: luna nyan on August 10, 2016, 10:55:13 PM
Facial hair removal generally isn't obvious IMHO unless you're doing other stuff on the side (brows, hair etc)

I find I look quite odd if I shave, but I'm not sure if other people would realize why or if they would even notice at all after a while.
  •  

WendyA

Quote from: alexia on August 11, 2016, 06:27:31 PM
I guess the issue is my wife seems ok with me starting HRT on low dose provided its a non social transition (although that may change close to the start date).

The fact you are able to have this conversation is a big plus.

Quote from: alexia on August 11, 2016, 06:27:31 PMMy wife is uncomfortable (doesn't want me to start) with me starting laser facial hair removal.

This perplexes me.  If the laser technology was as developed and as relatively inexpensive as it is now, years back, I wouldn't have hesitated to get it done.  Not for dysphoria but because I hate to shave.

Quote from: alexia on August 11, 2016, 06:27:31 PMSo do I try and convince my wife to get facial hair removal but that may be at the cost of a few years starting HRT??  I like the idea of HRT because it may alleviate my dysphoria (which I guess most understand it drives you nuts:(

Going on HRT was a great help to my mental clarity and delaying it would not be my advice.  Since I am not transitioning hair removal isn't a concern of mine.  I still hate shaving but at this point I have too many gray hairs to worry about getting hair removal, so I simply shave once a month.

Best wishes with whatever the two of you decide.
  •  

alexia

Quote from: WendyA on August 11, 2016, 10:40:41 PM

This perplexes me.  If the laser technology was as developed and as relatively inexpensive as it is now, years back, I wouldn't have hesitated to get it done.  Not for dysphoria but because I hate to shave.

I agree but I understand my wife, before I accepted that I was transgender I was terrified of doing anything that highlighted that I was different.  Ie shaving legs even though I could come up with any number of excuses for a man to shave his legs.  So my wife is having the same difficulties.  She doesn't want me to do anything that would seem even slightly transgender.  Even though most of the fears are just in our heads.  It'll just take time and conversations to sort things out.

Also thank you for your best wishes.

Alexia
  •  

IzzyM

Hi Everyone,

Having just read this thread I have found it very useful as I, like many, feel that the socially transitioning would have a very negative impact on family and work etc.  However it is good to hear other strategies for dealing with the dysphoria.

Many thanks,

Izzy
It isn't hard at all to make a wish. The difficultly lies in how to make what you wish for a reality
  •  

bspaakk

Luna,

Thanks for the detailed depiction of your experiences--it's been very helpful for me as I consider going down a similar path.

One question: a while back you talked about the life-changing consequences of your choices, and I was wondering to what degree you think you would have felt those consequences had you stayed on a low dose instead of moving up to transition levels. Do you feel like you didn't cross the point of no return with respect to things like strength and going bare-chested until after you increased your dosage, or do you think that was the inevitable outcome regardless?

I realize that everyone's experience is different, but I'm curious about your thoughts.

Thanks again for the fantastic record of your (non)-transition!
  •  

luna nyan

Quote from: bspaakk on March 22, 2017, 04:53:23 AM
Luna,

Thanks for the detailed depiction of your experiences--it's been very helpful for me as I consider going down a similar path.
I'm merely treading where others have gone, but kept the thread going. :)
One question: a while back you talked about the life-changing consequences of your choices, and I was wondering to what degree you think you would have felt those consequences had you stayed on a low dose instead of moving up to transition levels. Do you feel like you didn't cross the point of no return with respect to things like strength and going bare-chested until after you increased your dosage, or do you think that was the inevitable outcome regardless?
Moving to low transition dosage was a side effect of moving away from taking E orally - it wasn't really intended.  Strength loss isn't too big a price to pay for me, and I haven't gone bare chested in years prior (it wasn't a pretty sight IMHO!).
I realize that everyone's experience is different, but I'm curious about your thoughts.

Thanks again for the fantastic record of your (non)-transition!
I'm glad it's been of help.

As to where I'm at - still in non-transition, but I would say that in certain photos, there's a degree of more male fail creeping in if you're in the know so to speak.  To a certain South Australian - yes, it's even worse than before!! :P  But I will fearlessly trudge on regardless and bluster my way along.

I will do a proper update when I finally get round to having blood work done.  I missed the 3 month one because I was too preoccupied enjoying life!
Drifting down the river of life...
My 4+ years non-transitioning HRT experience
Ask me anything!  I promise you I know absolutely everything about nothing! :D
  •  

judithlynn

Wow;
Its been just a little under 10 months since I last posted to this thread, so I thought I should perhaps give you all an update.

To summarise I have now been back on HRT for nearly 4.5 years (Oestrogen only). It started off as a very low dose but over a period of about a year was moved up to low dose. For the first 1,5 years I had very little development, but the dysphoria was kept at bay. When I first started I had quite low levels of T in my bloodstream (something that I had suspected for many years) as well as being under normal male levels, but high for females levels.

Over the first two years as my body got used to the HRT, I gradually started to get  breakouts emotionally  and in the end I sort of slipped into a low  transitioning dose rather than dose to keep my dysphoria at bay. Following my doctors recommendations who pushed up my dosage. I take Progynova only.

In my most recent hormone assays, my T level is now down to lower than 1 (0.92)., and my Oestrogen hovering at the 240-260 levels, so hormonally I am now effectively female.

In terms of various changes:
Mentally:

These days any film sad or even happy or especially a love story (like Hidden Figures recently & the Danish Girl)  sets me off crying so much more easily.

I am also these days very happy to sit and read a woman s magazine such as Elle or Cosmo rather than a boring financial paper. In fact I just love looking at different fashions and especially makeup ideas.

Since the increase, my anxiety is all but gone, anger and depression completely lifted and I generally I feel better about myself.

Passing Privileges
Generally dressed as a woman I rarely get read, unless I make an obvious  male type gesture. For instance I was recently in Spain visiting Facial team and met up with the Jenny's Nest team and whilst there stayed in a great resort (and tried out my new one piece swim suit) living the whole time as a woman. No one gave me a second thought even whilst swimming. Mind you although overweight my  nipples are quite obvious through the fabric of the swim suit.

Female presentation:
My skin is really super soft and  girlfriends have commented on just how I have a fantastic complexion and a very feminine glow about me. On the rare occasions now that I have to present as male, I have even had comments about just youthful and fit I look from a long standing friend (who does'nt know). My beautician  always comments on how well I am looking after my face, although I do have a facial every 6-8 weeks. I also have my eyebrows shaped and tinted once every 8 weeks and my eyelashes tinted as well (Blue/Black - this gives them extra definition)

I have definitely lost male advantages. For instance I have lost the ability to open tight jam jars and have lost a lot of upper body strength, really struggling to lift bags of compost for the garden. This can be a major problem if you are transitioning but not yet full time.  Another thing is that I have lost a lot of the squareness in my shoulders. I recently had to replace my only male suit that I still had, because basically I now have quite well rounded buttocks and slightly widening hips, although my waist  is coming down and male trousers basically no longer fit (mind you  I rock a mini skirt). As i decided to get a made to measure one, the tailor surprised me by saying I would need padding in the shoulders as  I have lost a lot of the male definition with very obviously sloping shoulders.

I take my Oestrogen twice a day and certainly when I get up in the morning, my face  feels really super soft.

I have though been having a problem with my nails which seem to break all too often. Funnily enough neither little finger has this problem with both nails seeming to grow at twice the pace of other nails.

These days I like to keep both fingernails and toenails painted as much as possible. I use OPI using my colour Swtach from House of Colour to match my nail colour to my lipstick and blusher as much as possible.

Interestingly since I switched to Bare Minerals liquid foundation my overall make up looks generally so much better. (My beautician recommended it to me, and when visiting London had a makeover in Selfridges in Oxford St with them matching my skin colour. You need a special reservoir brush though.

Hair:
Unfortunately I have MPB so I am forced to wear a wig, but have three very nice human hair ones. However the doubling of my dose has caused my  hair to start growing back on my bald patch, but it is very sparse. In terms of facial hair, I have had extensive laser on my face and all bar a few on my lower lip are gone, but I still have electrolysis on the other white ones. In the last 8 months I have started getting laser on my décolleté, tummy, underarms and upper legs and bikini line and my black vellus hairs are remarkably thinning out. What body hair that I do have, is now soft and I have lost that coarseness. I do have regular waxing, but these sessions tend these days to only be needed about once every 10 weeks. Recently my beautician has persuaded me to go for a Brazilian Landing strip which looks very nice, but I am not game on a full Hollywood. My lower legs now have absolutely no hair at all.

Socially:
Although I have met a nice group of women thru Susans, I have also got involved with a number of Lesbian Social groups and this has helped tremendously in  allowing me to do more stuff socially. For most of my life I would have identified as Lesbian, but more recently as my T levels have dramatically dropped off I have often thought about whether I am bi rather than Lesbian as the  thought of having a great relationship such as Pretty pauline and others has a lot of attractions these days to me. Certainly 30 years ago  when I first transitioned I was more focussed on wanting a life as housewife and for a period lived in a very emotionally satisfying poly relationship.

Emotionally, I am pretty stable and content, but I do feel it is a bit like walking on a tightrope, especially on the rare occasions that I have (because of work) to need to switch between genders. My new suit is going to help as it neatly hides the changes effectively, so now people only see what they expect to see.

However I have most definitely lost some of my masculine edge in business terms Certainly this was very evident about 10 months ago when my doctor doubled my dosage. After just a few days I sort of went into a feminine fog!. My driving ability deteriorated. I lost the ability to judge on reversing into parking spots, I became very evidently more timid behind the wheel, and  when out working as a male visiting clients, people commented that I seemed to have lost some of my business drive. Its very clear that I have. Basically  I would so much prefer to be at a beautician having a makeover than stuck in an office listing to some man droning on about financial forecasts.  These days I love doing the housework, cooking, ironing and I have even taken up a sewing class - so maybe its just my emotions that has changed.

Physically
I have lost 2 shoe sizes and my hands and arms are smaller (mind you I have always had tiny female hands anyway, by comparison to men of my age.
These days, following a recent bra fitting at Marks & spencer in the UK (its a great free service, but you must book online), I found that I have added a Cup size and am now up to a 44C.  My nipples are always extended and if aroused or if in a swimsuit protrude very obviously. My areolae are about 5cms wide and look very feminine. These days I can only  go swimming in a one piece.

Weight wise I am struggling to lose weight - this is the oestrogen at work.  Despite being on a diet,  I don't seem to lose much but what fat is going on is in the face (very nice rounded cheeks), buttocks, breasts and now hips.
Unfortunately I still have too much male tummy deposits. If I could get rid of that  with my now widening lower torso (Buttocks and hips) and now quite well rounded breasts (After 4 years on HRT recently they have started to round out with quite significant breast tissue in the sides and armpit areas), I really would look  great and could probably wearstighter clothing, but I tend to buy outfits that hide my tummy  with dresses that are Empire or A frame and gathered under the bust.

Expected changes downstairs have occurred with the usual levels of atrophy. These days it is only possible to sit down to empty my bladder. I don't use urinals even when dressed male. One thing though is that my skin down there seems very thin and can easily bruised or get hurt. I presume again that must be the HRT at work. Anyone else find that.

My libido is very much reduced, but I absolutely love being in bed with another woman, especially now as my skin is super soft and I have just great breasts now, although I would prefer to be a cup size higher (probably DD). There is just something incredibly erotic on girl on girl body closeness.One big thing now  since the increase has been the complete absence of any erections and I have had a huge amount of shrinkage , although if I ever have GRS I do worry if that it might affect possible depth, although I think aesthetic  looks will be more important to me.

One thing that I have had in the last 10 months is a Facial team FFS consultation in Spain, but in the end they only recommended a minor facelift. Luckily I have never had an Adams Apple.  I have also had a consultation with Dr Aslani  about a possible BBL as I just adore his results.
Judith
:-*
Hugs

•  

anne_indy

I just discovered this thread with Judith's post. As someone who has just begun with low level HRT this week, this thread is just what I was looking for. Thanks to Luna who initiated it, all those who have added their experience,

Anne

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  •  

Alex81

Just found this thread as well and read from front to back... This is exactly where I'd like to start and have been quite curious as to progress of low dose non-transitioning.

Thanks for keeping this post updated luna nyan. :)
  •  

rachel de Corvus

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread, especially luna nyan and judithlynn. i hope to see more updates as i ponder my future.

rachel
  •  

Myranda

Hi all,

I found this thread through another forum I frequent.

I just wanted to to add my experience to this conversation so far.

At the begining of  June, I started a low dose Estrogen program in consultation with both my therapist and my GD in an effort to learn more about myself and help me find a better happier me by trying to help me answer the question of whether or not I am in fact trangender or somewhere on that spectrum.

I am on Estradiol only, with no AA, but my normal T is in the low 200s.  While it  has only been 3 weeks so far, I have noticed changes in my skin and hair.  I have not had much if any reaction down stairs.  I have noticed some aches and pains in my chest, but no signs of buds just yet.  I am hoping that is just around the corner.

As far as emotionally, I haven't noticed much change yet either.    But mentally, I'm feeling a bit happier I think, and find myself wishing I had started back in January when I had the chance the first time.  I also find myself looking forward to my next apppointment with my GD to discuss dosages and while I have gone into this program with the intent to take things very slow and deliberate, and understanding that my GD likely will not prescribe an increase dosage until the 3 month mark, I find myself wishing I was on a higher dose. 

And contrary to what some people believe about he slipery slope of MtF HRT, I'm not quite ready to say that the desire for a higher dose is a direct result of me actually being transgender.

•  

Paige

Quote from: Myranda on June 29, 2017, 01:54:54 PM
Hi all,

At the begining of  June, I started a low dose Estrogen program in consultation with both my therapist and my GD in an effort to learn more about myself and help me find a better happier me by trying to help me answer the question of whether or not I am in fact trangender or somewhere on that spectrum.

I am on Estradiol only, with no AA, but my normal T is in the low 200s.  While it  has only been 3 weeks so far, I have noticed changes in my skin and hair.  I have not had much if any reaction down stairs.  I have noticed some aches and pains in my chest, but no signs of buds just yet.  I am hoping that is just around the corner.

As far as emotionally, I haven't noticed much change yet either.    But mentally, I'm feeling a bit happier I think, and find myself wishing I had started back in January when I had the chance the first time.  I also find myself looking forward to my next apppointment with my GD to discuss dosages and while I have gone into this program with the intent to take things very slow and deliberate, and understanding that my GD likely will not prescribe an increase dosage until the 3 month mark, I find myself wishing I was on a higher dose. 

And contrary to what some people believe about he slipery slope of MtF HRT, I'm not quite ready to say that the desire for a higher dose is a direct result of me actually being transgender.

Hi Myranda,

Welcome to the low dose club :) 

Curious about your last comment.  What do you think the reason for wanting a higher dose would be if it's not being transgender?  Could it be that it just makes you happier? If that's the reason, why would it make you happier.  Non transgender men are usually quite miserable on E.

Take care and good luck,
Paige :)
  •  

Myranda

Paige,

I'm not quite sure yet at this point.  It may be pyschosomatic it could be some other psychological reason, or I just may still not be ready to completely admit it to myself just yet.  Maybe I just want some of the female physical changes like breasts.

I'm still trying to sort through it all in a diagnostic kind of way.  But the last day or so, I have felt a bit "happier", but I'm not sure if it is from the Estrogen or not.  And while I believe I would be happy of relieved if the Estrogen was the reason i logically feel that it is still to soon to know for sure.  I am cautiously taking it as a good sign though.

•  

Paige

Quote from: Myranda on June 29, 2017, 03:45:25 PM
Paige,

I'm not quite sure yet at this point.  It may be pyschosomatic it could be some other psychological reason, or I just may still not be ready to completely admit it to myself just yet.  Maybe I just want some of the female physical changes like breasts.

I'm still trying to sort through it all in a diagnostic kind of way.  But the last day or so, I have felt a bit "happier", but I'm not sure if it is from the Estrogen or not.  And while I believe I would be happy of relieved if the Estrogen was the reason i logically feel that it is still to soon to know for sure.  I am cautiously taking it as a good sign though.

Hi Myranda,

No worries, everybody has to figure what's right for them.  It's a tough situation and you should take all the time you need to figure what's best for you.  I'm glad you're a bit happier, whether it's the E or not.

Take care,
Paige :)
  •  

LizK

Quote from: Myranda on June 29, 2017, 01:54:54 PM
Hi all,

Hi Myranda

Welcome to Susan's. I hope you enjoy your time here.

Glad to hear you have had such a positive result from the low dose HRT. Taking a cautious approach and testing out the waters is an excellent idea and seems to be paying off for you.

I am curious, has it been suggested to you that once you start HRT then its just a forgone conclusion that you will go on to full dose and transition?

So you are able to get the very best from being here there are a couple of links we give to all our new members

Site Policies and Stuff to Remember (https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,2.0.html)

Regards
ElizabethK
Global Moderator

Please Remember

Do not share anything on Susan's that you do not want to be public information.

Things that you should read
Transition Begun 25 September 2015
HRT since 17 May 2016,
Fulltime from 8 March 2017,
GCS 4 December 2018
Voice Surgery 01 February 2019
  •  

Myranda

Quote from: ElizabethK on June 30, 2017, 07:02:57 AM
Hi Myranda

Welcome to Susan's. I hope you enjoy your time here.

Glad to hear you have had such a positive result from the low dose HRT. Taking a cautious approach and testing out the waters is an excellent idea and seems to be paying off for you.

I am curious, has it been suggested to you that once you start HRT then its just a forgone conclusion that you will go on to full dose and transition?

Thank you for the warm welcome.

While no one has specifically suggested to me directly, yes it has been suggested. I am curiois if that is what is behind my recent onterest on wanting to up my dose  after such a short time or of it ia more of an impatience thing.

•  

LizK

Quote from: Myranda on June 30, 2017, 09:02:02 AM
Thank you for the warm welcome.

While no one has specifically suggested to me directly, yes it has been suggested. I am curiois if that is what is behind my recent onterest on wanting to up my dose  after such a short time or of it ia more of an impatience thing.

It was not something I had heard said often so was just a bit curious. There is nothing wrong with wanting to increase HRT. Is this the opening to you for Transition or is there still more exploring?

I hope you find your peace
Transition Begun 25 September 2015
HRT since 17 May 2016,
Fulltime from 8 March 2017,
GCS 4 December 2018
Voice Surgery 01 February 2019
  •