Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

What is the difference between Witchcraft and Wicca?

Started by Shawn Sunshine, December 15, 2012, 06:53:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shawn Sunshine

I want to know what the difference is from a Wiccan Point of view on witchcraft vs being Wiccan.

There are some of you who are both Christian and Wiccan at the same time so, how do you come to terms with it?
I am not at all attacking anyone. I am simply curious and want to know the difference.

The bible repeatedly says to stay away from Witchcraft, but I understand that this is referring to evil or dark magic am I right?

Shawn Sunshine Strickland The Strickalator

#SupergirlsForJustice
  •  

~RoadToTrista~

Isn't Wicca like, nature magic or something? It's more like instead of making a prayer you cast a spell.
  •  

Anatta

Kia Ora and "Reason's Greetings" to one and all...I'm back for a short 'spell'...

::) A witchcraft is a personalised mode of transport shaped like a broom that some witches use...A wicca/wiccan is a witch who prefers to walk or use public transport ... ;)

Metta Zenda  :)
"The most essential method which includes all other methods is beholding the mind. The mind is the root from which all things grow. If you can understand the mind, everything else is included !"   :icon_yes:
  •  

Devlyn

•  

Anatta

Quote from: Devlyn Marie on December 22, 2012, 03:07:06 PM
Long time, no see! Welcome back, hon! Hugs, Devlyn

Kia Ora Devlyn,

::) Thanks, I've been off planet for a while,travelling through space and mind... ::) I see the earthlings haven't changed much since my last visit...I hope you're keeping well and enjoying life as you know it......

Metta Zenda :)
"The most essential method which includes all other methods is beholding the mind. The mind is the root from which all things grow. If you can understand the mind, everything else is included !"   :icon_yes:
  •  

Joanna Dark

Witchcraft is the practice of Wicca. You can't just say you are a Witch there is a very specific conversion process. I converted when I was 14 and have been a Witch ever since. I don't know if one of the reasons I converted is because it is so feminine to be a witch and being trans and 14 that obviously had appeal. I thought I would lose a lot of friends over it but I didn't.
  •  

Oriah

•  

PrincessDayna

Wicca is an eclectic set of beliefs and traditions, that are of modern possibility thanks to gerald gardener. Almost any of the modern authors on wicca have him to thank, he gave offshots to alexandrian wicca, and from them came buckland and others. The wiccans utilize witchcraft.

Witchcraft can also be of traditions that predate gardenarianism, and hold no alliagance to the term Wicca, as well. Certain family traditions have survived and are as such not Wiccan unless a practitioner takes that term for simplicity.

Wicca also comes from the term Wicce, or wise woman. Pagan derives from Pagani, or "people of the field", a term commonlygiven to non catholics as catholicism spread to denote and also lead into the term Heathen. Warlock means "traitor". There is of course, much much much more.

Note:im 30- i was taught the family traditions of "the old ways" around age 8. My great grandmother was removed from Scotland in the 20's, for practicing. In many parts of he world, family traditions or those that predate Gardener and his practices actively dnounce the term Wicca, or witchcraft. Obvious reasoning would point to why. They only survived by secrecy. In my teenage years, i had to study the modern Wiccan movement, its roots, and the differences between it and our familys history as Cameron's in Scotland and our Old Ways. Its actually quite profound, but we do practice witchcraft, a very oldkind of which Raymond Buckland wrote a book about, but was completely wrong about Scottish Witchcraft. We are far from a solitary tradition. Its generational.

An important note about Wicca is Gerald Gardener claims he wastaught by an aunt who never was proven to exsisted, and the Alexandrian tradition that seperated itselffrom his ways did so due to other family trads, and more so over gardener having a sexual fascination with self mutilation, and being a literal massochist.
"Self truth is evident when one accepts self awareness.  From such, serenity". ~Me  ;)

•