Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Gardening

Started by Shawn Sunshine, December 23, 2012, 09:01:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

V M

There is a small garden space at my apt.s and so I enjoy to do some gardening in it  :)  It's funny, every year there are a few neighbors who show interest and they talk real big about it, but I am the only one who actually does anything  ???

This year I put lettuce, collard greens, spinach, radishes, zucchini, cucumongers (cucumbers), some corn, sun flowers, green beans and snap peas

I also have a small strawberry patch that doesn't look real great this year  :-\  But I don't really care too much because people always steal most of my berries anyway  :P
The main things to remember in life are Love, Kindness, Understanding and Respect - Always make forward progress

Superficial fanny kissing friends are a dime a dozen, a TRUE FRIEND however is PRICELESS

- V M
  •  

Devlyn

If I stole your berries you'd get a bottle of strawberry wine out of it! I'm using dandelion wine in tonight's sloppy Joes, see, there's even a reason to let them grow.  Hugs, Devlyn
  •  

DriftingCrow

Quote from: Devlyn Marie on July 08, 2013, 05:44:49 PM
Yay asparagus! Did all your crowns come up?

Most of them did, I planted 20 and about 17 came up. They look like strange fern now, but can't wait til they get bigger.
ਮਨਿ ਜੀਤੈ ਜਗੁ ਜੀਤੁ
  •  

DriftingCrow

Quote from: V M on July 08, 2013, 06:06:59 PM
I also have a small strawberry patch that doesn't look real great this year  :-\  But I don't really care too much because people always steal most of my berries anyway  :P

My strawberries didn't grow, but the birds would've gotten them anyways.  :)
ਮਨਿ ਜੀਤੈ ਜਗੁ ਜੀਤੁ
  •  

Devlyn

The asparagus does make a nice feathery fern, mine get anywhere from three to six feet tall. I picked blackberries this morning and froze them, I'll keep picking daily, then you guessed it, wine.
  •  

Joelene9

The second year carrot has a pretty habit with small pale colored flowers in an umbrel shape.  Carrots are biannual.  The first year it produces the tuber, for harvesting.  The second year, it produces a bush with flowers for seed from the tuber you left in the ground over the winter.  I got some. 

The pumpkins are really producing for pies and for the grands to pick out for Jack O' lanterns.  No watermelons as yet, the cukes about to produce. Onions and garlic fattening, leeks still in the ringing stage.  Legumes a complete failure this season.  Sunflowers growing quickly.  Potatoes fattening and the first corn at 50% germination, the second 100%.  Herbs; oregano, sage, spearmint, dill doing fine.  A lot of grapes, but too much vine, I didn't have time to trim it this year.  Tomatoes and peppers a little slower due to the delayed planting due to a very cold spring.  Harvesting the few fruit that set in the greenhouse which delays growth and normal harvest times.  Spinach and lettuce done for the season, broccoli already picked and pulled. 

Garden on auto mostly with timed dripper system and from my severe foot pain.  Getting the drippers installed as you plant and a good spread of mulch helps here.  No carrots, beets, limas planted due to late season plus the visit to the NW to visit lost cousins.  Nearly zero ornamentals planted due to drought restrictions, front lawn is a lost cause.  Too much sand deposition, edge is 3" above the sidewalk, and a buffalo grass with rhizomes that goes for miles.  I may not replace it due to finances.  I am mowing 3-4 weeks at a stretch instead of weekly.  A break in the foot pain allowed to mow what is out there today, but I will pay for it tonight! 

Joelene
  •  

Joelene9

Here's a video update on my garden I made today with a new camcorder.  You'll will get to finally see Joelene about 5:34 in the video.  About the same story as mentioned above. 

Joelene
  •  

DriftingCrow

Joelene great video! Thanks for giving us the grand tour! I have a giant sunflower also growing, I didn't know they got 12-16 feet tall though. I think mine is around 10 feet now.
ਮਨਿ ਜੀਤੈ ਜਗੁ ਜੀਤੁ
  •  

Joelene9

That depends on the strain of the sunflower.  Check on the seed packet on height. 

Joelene
  •  

DriftingCrow

Are ants living underneath the leaves of your sunflowers? They don't seem to be doing any harm, so I am thinking they're eating little bugs or something.
ਮਨਿ ਜੀਤੈ ਜਗੁ ਜੀਤੁ
  •  

Devlyn

Ants usually mean aphids.
  •  

Shawn Sunshine

sadly i cant seem to find all my wonderful garden pics, still looking
Shawn Sunshine Strickland The Strickalator

#SupergirlsForJustice
  •  

ThePhoenix

I am an obsessive gardener!  I have always loved it, but it's always been a problem for me because I seem to be allergic to virtually every flower known to humankind.  Plus African violets hate me.  I finally solved that problem by returning to something I did a long time ago:  growing edibles.  It saves money, gives me way better tasting produce than you can get at the grocery store (or sometimes even better than the farmers market!), and it's very enjoyable!  I'd love to have a garden forum!

Here's my 2014 planned grow list:
Orange habaneros
Caribbean red habaneros (new)
Tabasco peppers (new)
Orange bell peppers (new)
5 color Chinese peppers (new)
Mortgage lifter tomatoes (new)
Azoychka tomatoes (new)
Bloomsdale longstanding spinach
Wild rocket arugula
Ozark beauty strawberries
Fuji apples
Granny Smith apples
Belle of Georgia peaches
Two varieties of blueberries
Elephant Dill
Hot spicy oregano
Greek oregano
Stevia
Genovese basil
German thyme
Purple leaf sage
American green pineapple melon (maybe)

If anyone wanted seeds or cuttings, that could probably be arranged. :)
  •  

Stochastic

Quote from: ThePhoenix on December 18, 2013, 12:21:16 PM
I am an obsessive gardener! 

What a fantastic list. I am enjoying the cold weather and break from yard work. However, you have me thinking of fresh Belle of Georgia peaches.

I have a large yard, but long days at work keeps me from having a full garden. Many perennial flowers in the yard with a scattering of annuals. I do have an indoor container with thyme and rosemary which is  a great luxury for cooking. My new spice grinder for Christmas will have me busy with cayenne, coriander, and other spices.

Julia
  •  

ThePhoenix

I forgot to mention the Royal Burgundy bush beans and may have forgotten others too!

I'm thinking of adding:
Genovese basil
Giant of Italy parsley
Bronze D'Amposta Onions (or some other type of red onion)

I'm also debating what to do about chives.  I don't care for chives to eat, but last year I had some problems with Japanese beetles.  I don't care for chives to eat or cook, but they are supposedly good companion plants to drive away Japanese beetles.  They won't drive all the beetles away, but they will supposedly reduce their numbers.  My apple and strawberry trees might appreciate that.  Chives grow wild in my yard, so I might just transplant some of the wild ones in my yard into the strawberry bed.   Since the strawberries grow under the apple trees, that would help both the apples and the strawberries.  Or I might plant some.  Or I might just rely on onions, which are supposed to have similar benefits! 
  •  

DriftingCrow

My Peace Lily hasn't flowered in a few years, despite being replanted, carefully fertilized, carefully watered, and given happy amount of sunlight*.

Any tips on getting it to flower?

*Regarding sunlight, man, these plants are really temperamental. I basically can't open the curtains at all around them, or else the leaves start getting burned.
ਮਨਿ ਜੀਤੈ ਜਗੁ ਜੀਤੁ
  •  

ThePhoenix

Quote from: LearnedHand on January 07, 2014, 09:45:38 PM
My Peace Lily hasn't flowered in a few years, despite being replanted, carefully fertilized, carefully watered, and given happy amount of sunlight*.

Any tips on getting it to flower?

*Regarding sunlight, man, these plants are really temperamental. I basically can't open the curtains at all around them, or else the leaves start getting burned.

Okay, normally I would not comment because I don't grow flowering plants aside from clematis and hydrangea because I am allergic to just about every plant around.  But I do grow fruits and vegetable, and they do flower, so I will try!

I can see two of the things you listed could cause a plant to not flower.  One is the amount of water.  Sometimes, in response to stress, a plant will flower and rush the production of seed by ripening any fruit that has set.  If you deny it water, that may prompt it to direct energy into flowering as a way to try to reproduce.  Of course you would not want to let it wilt much from this. 

The second one is the fertilizer.  Certain fertilizers, especially those that are high in nitrogen, prompt plants to grow more foliage rather than flowers and/or fruit.

These are just my ideas as a person who grows for foods rather than for flowers!  I hope they help though! 
  •  

Joelene9

I got the usual seed catalogs since Christmas.  I glanced through them, reading is difficult due to the pain.  My garden survived last year due to Providence.  My neuropathy in the feet prevents me to do much nowadays.  I managed to can a good crop in 2013 despite only one fertilizer session last year.  Hopefully a visit to the neurologist next week will get some answers soon.  Setting out seedlings under the gro-light and heat mat is next month. 

Joelene
  •  

ThePhoenix

I hope the neurologist has some helpful answers for you.  I'm also excited about starting seeds next month!  Woowoo!
  •  

ThePhoenix

It's official.  The grow list now includes the following additional plants:

Catalogno parsley
Tender green mustard.

And I'm still looking for an onion!

I'm also getting sick of grocery store produce.  I am so hooked on home grown produce.  So!  I went to the Home Depot this evening, got some potting soil, and I think I will try and start some early seeds tomorrow!  Wish me luck getting them to sprout and survive so early! :)
  •