Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Gardening

Started by Shawn Sunshine, December 23, 2012, 09:01:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shawn Sunshine

just wondering if we can have a Gardening section , I have been in the past an avid gardener and use to have a market farm.
Shawn Sunshine Strickland The Strickalator

#SupergirlsForJustice
  •  

jojoglowe

i second this motion!!!

gardening and permaculture are my passions!
o---o---o---o---o---o---peaceloveunderstanding---o---o---o---o---o---o

•  

Jamie D

I have searched through many older posts and found that we have quite a few gardeners who are members.  For some, like myself, it is an activity that helps us find peace of mind.  Others are into the health benefits.  Some grow vegetable, some grow fruits, some grow flowers and other greenery.  In my part of the country, cactus gardens are popular.

I am setting this topic as a sticky in the general Hobbies forum.  If there is enough interest here, we can create a new board.

Thanks for the suggestion.
  •  

Jamie D

I have a half wine barrel on casters that I use as an herb garden.  On the south (sunny) side of my house, I keep a vegetable garden.  I think I will do tomatoes, peppers, and onions again this spring - a "salsa garden."
  •  

Nathan.

*moves into thread*

I'm a big fan of gardening. Tuesday, thursday and friday I help maintain a park and do contract work and on wednesday i'm at the garden centre.

I'm a bit gutted to be loosing my garden    :( I'm in charge of the veg at the park though, currently i'm growing some kale, red spring onions, cabbage and some broad beans. Tomorrow i've got the job of helping spread mulch over the beds at the park.
  •  

Devlyn

I love gardening! <throws shovel at frozen ground, shower of sparks ensues> Not ready yet, though.
  •  

Sara Thomas

I love the idea of gardening, but it has yet to make it onto my "To Do List".

(it's wavering just off-page...)
I ain't scared... I just don't want to mess up my hair.
  •  

~RoadToTrista~

Gardening is fun, but for me it's tedious after awhile.
  •  

Q

I like gardening too. I'm no expert but I do try and grow things. It is starting to feel like gardening time here - I've seen quite a few crocuses and snowdrops out... and daffodils and tulips on their way up.
  •  

JoanneL

I used to enjoy gardening, but since being on HRT and the subsequent thinning of the skin, I now find it difficult when trimming bushes, hedges, as the slightest scratch or bump results in bruising or bleeding under the skin.
ffffffffffff
  •  

Jamie D

Quote from: Devlyn Marie on February 18, 2013, 04:46:39 PM
I love gardening! <throws shovel at frozen ground, shower of sparks ensues> Not ready yet, though.

Hey, girl, I've seen pictures of your veggies in the cooking topics!  You have a green thumb.  Maybe you can give us amateurs some pointers.
  •  

Jamie D

Quote from: Pleasingly Plump Jamie D on February 19, 2013, 02:20:40 AM
Hey, girl, I've seen pictures of your veggies in the cooking topics!  You have a green thumb.  Maybe you can give us amateurs some pointers.

I am probably past my last cold snap here in SoCal, so I think I will get some tomatoes started in plastic to transplant later.  Tomatoes love the warmth.

BTW - I am in Climate Zone 10 (west coast of southern California).  The following link has climate zone maps for many places.

http://www.weekendgardener.net/climate-zones-map.htm
  •  

big kim

Never worked up much enthusiasm for it.I had a summer of landscape gardening which left me feeling like I had done 15 rounds with Mike Tyson!
  •  

Shawn Sunshine

I gotta find my melon world pictures and get them scanned or something, so i can show my attempts at market gardening  :angel:
Shawn Sunshine Strickland The Strickalator

#SupergirlsForJustice
  •  

DriftingCrow

I have my asparagus patch started, since this is a long-term project, I hope I did it right.  :)

ਮਨਿ ਜੀਤੈ ਜਗੁ ਜੀਤੁ
  •  

Devlyn

It looks like you're putting the right amount of effort into it!
  •  

DriftingCrow

That's the beauty of having young teenage boys around, just bribe them with some pizza and soda and they'll get all the rocks out.  ;D
ਮਨਿ ਜੀਤੈ ਜਗੁ ਜੀਤੁ
  •  

prettypoly86

I grew up with a large veggie garden,  surrounded by beautiful gladiolas and irises.   My dad also planted blueberry bushes and we never failed to have a huge crop.

These days, I would love to have a garden.  Fate seems to say otherwise.  My blueberry bushes met a dig-happy puppy, the tomatoes met the neigbor children.  I bought some succulents from the older gentleman down the street, and they seem to be limping along.  Really, the only plant thriving here is the yucca,  despite our attempts to drive it out!

We will plan and try again next year.  I'm strongly considering paying my dad to be my gardener! 
"Life is like a piano.  The white keys represent happiness,  and the black show sadness.  But as you go through life's journey remember that the black keys also create music." - Pinterest?
  •  

DriftingCrow

Quote from: prettypoly86 on July 07, 2013, 10:53:31 PM
I grew up with a large veggie garden,  surrounded by beautiful gladiolas and irises.   My dad also planted blueberry bushes and we never failed to have a huge crop.

These days, I would love to have a garden.  Fate seems to say otherwise.  My blueberry bushes met a dig-happy puppy, the tomatoes met the neigbor children.  I bought some succulents from the older gentleman down the street, and they seem to be limping along.  Really, the only plant thriving here is the yucca,  despite our attempts to drive it out!

We will plan and try again next year.  I'm strongly considering paying my dad to be my gardener!

Hopefully things will work out better next year, it sucks having hard work go down the drain.

My attempt at gardening isn't going too well either, because people keep stepping and killing everything I plant (yeah the walkway up to the steps just isn't good enough). Since about half of what I planted has been killed, I've just stopped weeding, what's the point when they're going to kill the other half? Maybe next year I'll set up razor wire around the plants.  >:-)

I am still watering the asparagus though.
ਮਨਿ ਜੀਤੈ ਜਗੁ ਜੀਤੁ
  •  

Devlyn

Quote from: LearnedHand on July 08, 2013, 04:59:52 PM
Hopefully things will work out better next year, it sucks having hard work go down the drain.

My attempt at gardening isn't going too well either, because people keep stepping and killing everything I plant (yeah the walkway up to the steps just isn't good enough). Since about half of what I planted has been killed, I've just stopped weeding, what's the point when they're going to kill the other half? Maybe next year I'll set up razor wire around the plants.  >:-)

I am still watering the asparagus though.

Yay asparagus! Did all your crowns come up?
  •