Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Any Metal Fans/Musicians Out There?

Started by Wynternight, December 27, 2012, 08:00:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

big kim

No 5FDP fans here?Am I the only one?And Halestorm.
  •  

Wynternight

Quote from: Serenation on May 08, 2014, 09:42:39 AM
I still love my Slayer, Megadeth , Metallica (early albums), One of my fondest memories as a youth was going to Melbourne and seeing Megadeth on their Rust in Peace tour.

My fave modern metal band is Ghost. Those guys are so great.

I love Ghost!! I can listen to them over and over and the visual aspect is amasing!
Stooping down, dipping my wings, I came into the darkly-splendid abodes. There, in that formless abyss was I made a partaker of the Mysteries Averse. LIBER CORDIS CINCTI SERPENTE-11;4

HRT- 31 August, 2014
FT - 7 Sep, 2016
VFS- 19 October, 2016
FFS/BA - 28 Feb, 2018
SRS - 31 Oct 2018
  •  

Jill F

Quote from: Wynternight on July 18, 2014, 01:17:12 AM
I love Ghost!! I can listen to them over and over and the visual aspect is amasing!

Agreed!  I love when they sing about dark evil stuff over major chords.  It doesn't get old. Lol

Ghost holds the distinction of first concert I ever attended in girl mode
  •  

Wynternight

Quote from: Jill F on July 18, 2014, 02:43:38 AM
Agreed!  I love when they sing about dark evil stuff over major chords.  It doesn't get old. Lol

Ghost holds the distinction of first concert I ever attended in girl mode

I'm jelly!! I want to go and kiss Papa's ring.  ;D
Stooping down, dipping my wings, I came into the darkly-splendid abodes. There, in that formless abyss was I made a partaker of the Mysteries Averse. LIBER CORDIS CINCTI SERPENTE-11;4

HRT- 31 August, 2014
FT - 7 Sep, 2016
VFS- 19 October, 2016
FFS/BA - 28 Feb, 2018
SRS - 31 Oct 2018
  •  

kariann330

I may be a country girl, but my heart has a black spot on it. I love Stone Sour, Slipknot, Scar the Martyr, Pop Evil just to name a few. As far as playing any metal, I didn't own an Ibanez 8 string tuned to drop d and drop G because it was cool lol
I need a hero to save me now, i need a hero to save my life, a hero will save me just in time!!

"Don't bother running from a sniper, you will just die tired and sweaty"

Longest shot 2500yards, Savage 110BA 338 Lapua magnum, 15X scope, 10X magnifier. Bipod.
  •  

Jess42

Quote from: kariann330 on September 04, 2014, 12:44:01 AM
I may be a country girl, but my heart has a black spot on it. I love Stone Sour, Slipknot, Scar the Martyr, Pop Evil just to name a few. As far as playing any metal, I didn't own an Ibanez 8 string tuned to drop d and drop G because it was cool lol

Especially The Boss's Daughter with Mick Mars. Texas Hippie Coalition and In this Moment are really good too.

Quote from: big kim on July 17, 2014, 03:41:47 AM
No 5FDP fans here?Am I the only one?And Halestorm.

I love Halestorm, but not a big fan of 5FDP.
  •  

Wynternight

Quote from: kariann330 on September 04, 2014, 12:44:01 AM

;D Nice! I'm liking what I've heard from Pop Evil and I've always been a fan of Slipknot and Stone Sour. My tastes generally run to the harder stuff like black or death metal. Right now I'm very heavy into the blackened thrash/d beat black metal scene. Bands like Toxic Holocaust, Vampire, or old grindcore bands.

HRT- 31 August, 2014
FT - 7 Sep, 2016
VFS- 19 October, 2016
FFS/BA - 28 Feb, 2018
SRS - 31 Oct 2018
  •  

Wynternight

Quote from: Laura Squirrel on September 04, 2014, 12:41:05 PM
Which ones?

Extreme Noise Terror, Repulsion, Nausea, Siege, Unseen Terror, Larm, Carcass, Terrorizer to name but a few.

HRT- 31 August, 2014
FT - 7 Sep, 2016
VFS- 19 October, 2016
FFS/BA - 28 Feb, 2018
SRS - 31 Oct 2018
  •  

Miss_Bungle1991

Quote from: Wynternight on September 04, 2014, 02:00:58 PM
Extreme Noise Terror, Repulsion, Nausea, Siege, Unseen Terror, Larm, Carcass, Terrorizer to name but a few.

WOO HOO!

Right on!

:icon_woowoo:

Are you more into early Terrorizer or more recent stuff?

I love the old demos, rehearsals, live stuff, "World Downfall", etc. The stuff after they reformed hasn't done anything for me at all. Plus, with Jesse being long gone, it's never going to work. Not even if they get Oscar back in the fold.
  •  

Wynternight

Quote from: Laura Squirrel on September 04, 2014, 02:17:27 PM
WOO HOO!

Right on!

:icon_woowoo:

Are you more into early Terrorizer or more recent stuff?

I love the old demos, rehearsals, live stuff, "World Downfall", etc. The stuff after they reformed hasn't done anything for me at all. Plus, with Jesse being long gone, it's never going to work. Not even if they get Oscar back in the fold.

Definitely old stuff. I haven't even bothered with the new stuff. It's great Pete is back in the band but I agree, they need Jesse. Hordes of Zombies was half Morbid Angel!

HRT- 31 August, 2014
FT - 7 Sep, 2016
VFS- 19 October, 2016
FFS/BA - 28 Feb, 2018
SRS - 31 Oct 2018
  •  

Miss_Bungle1991

Quote from: Wynternight on September 04, 2014, 02:27:04 PM
Definitely old stuff. I haven't even bothered with the new stuff. It's great Pete is back in the band but I agree, they need Jesse. Hordes of Zombies was half Morbid Angel!

I heard a couple of the songs from that record and just shook my head in disgust. It's like: "So, this will end up being Jesse's epitaph?" It sucked.

I really wish that he hadn't allowed alcohol to screw up his life and that he had stayed with Napalm Death. I remember seeing them with Obituary on their 2005 tour. It was weird not seeing Jesse on the other side of the stage where he should have been. (I was standing next to the stage on Mitch's side.)
  •  

Jill F

I remember seeing Napalm Death in about 1990.  Barney was incredibly drunk and performed shirtless, which was awesome because he was so fat and sweaty as well.  He forgot lyrics and replaced some with random obscenities.  Also on the bill was Sacred Reich.  Somebody thought I was the drummer (also named Greg) and bought me several rounds of drinks.
  •  

Wynternight

Quote from: Jill F on September 04, 2014, 05:37:55 PM
I remember seeing Napalm Death in about 1990.  Barney was incredibly drunk and performed shirtless, which was awesome because he was so fat and sweaty as well.  He forgot lyrics and replaced some with random obscenities.  Also on the bill was Sacred Reich.  Somebody thought I was the drummer (also named Greg) and bought me several rounds of drinks.

Hah! That's great. Let's swap old show stories some more!

HRT- 31 August, 2014
FT - 7 Sep, 2016
VFS- 19 October, 2016
FFS/BA - 28 Feb, 2018
SRS - 31 Oct 2018
  •  

Miss_Bungle1991

Quote from: Jill F on September 04, 2014, 05:37:55 PM

That sounded like the "New Titans On The Block," tour with Sick Of It All, Sacred Reich, Napalm Death and Sepultura. That was in the summer of 1991. One of many shows that I wanted to see but I missed out on.
  •  

Jill F

Quote from: Laura Squirrel on September 04, 2014, 05:54:41 PM
That sounded like the "New Titans On The Block," tour with Sick Of It All, Sacred Reich, Napalm Death and Sepultura. That was in the summer of 1991. One of many shows that I wanted to see but I missed out on.

That sounds right.  It was at the Omni Theater in Oakland and it was hot as hell in there.  I was on the guest list and Max Cavalera was wearing a Kronix T-Shirt.  Kronix were all buddies of mine. The guitar player from Kronix ended up in Snot and Soulfly.  The bass player was in Ultraspank and Retrodemon, both of which featured a drummer that I was in a band with until 2 years ago.  The singer/rhythm guitar player was someone I used to cut classes with in high school. 
  •  

Miss_Bungle1991

The few times I've been to shows like that it's been hotter than hell. It was like that at Bogart's when we saw Type O. Plus, we had to deal with idiots landing on us since they were diving off the upper deck on to the crowd below since stage diving wasn't allowed. It's a miracle that I didn't punch someone in the face that night. I was getting pretty agitated with those morons after a while.

Then when I went to the Napalm/Obituary show at the Emerson. It was super hot once the mosh pit started. Plus, during Obituary's set, I was wearing two shirts: An ND "From Enslavement To Obliteration" shirt and later an ND "Life?" shirt that I bought at the merch table. I just put the other shirt over the one I was already wearing since I didn't want to walk several blocks round trip back to the truck. I bet I sweated off 10 pounds that night. It was fine when the two openers played. The crowd was just standing around and waiting for Napalm to play.  :D The vocalist from Dead To Fall (the band that was second on the bill. Some local band played before them), says: "I wanna see a circle pit, RIGHT NOW!" and literally 5 people started to lightly push each other in a playful/mocking fashion. They were all laughing while they were doing it.

I knew why too: Everyone was waiting for the REAL show to begin. Once Napalm came out the place exploded. I remember being in the front row because I HAD to be down front. I had waited 14, 15 years to see these guys. There was no way in hell I was standing in the back. I made it through "Unchallenged Hate", "Instinct Of Survival" and halfway through "Continuing War On Stupidity" before I gave up on standing down front. The place was packed (and holds around 400 people) so, it was like riding a wave attempting to stay upright. The mosh pit was super intense and then came the stage divers.

Screw that.  :D Although, I have to admit, if the Emerson had a flat floor, I probably would have stage dived too. But this place was literally an old movie theater that had been made into a music venue. So, the floor was slanted. I wasn't going to take my chances with diving on a slanted floor.

I stood by the front of house soundboard all night. I actually got on stage at one point and sat down by Mitch's cabinet, but a stagehand made me get off when I told him I wasn't part of their entourage.  :D But he was really nice to me about it. So, that was no big deal.

I spent the rest of the night by the side of the stage. Watching the crazies knock the monitors around (accidentally...but still) and saw one HUGE dude dive off the stage and no one caught the guy. The show didn't get stopped for that. But there was an interruption during "Suffer The Children" when a guy came up on stage from where I was, and his foot caught the cable for the mic that was on Mitch's amp. You could hear the guitar drop out instantly. Their engineer, Simon Efemey, fixed the problem in less than a minute and they started the song off again.

Obituary's set didn't have those problems BUT I do remember John Tardy yelling at the front of house soundguy that he couldn't hear anything out of the monitors. It was fixed eventually and all was well.

One thing I always remembered that happened during Obituary's set was some moron in the back yelling out: "White Power!". I heard it plain as day but the guy was ignored. I remember thinking to myself: "Yeah, you didn't have the guts to say that during Napalm's set, did ya?!" What a douche.

There was also the incident after Napalm's set. I went across the street to the McDonald's to talk them into giving me a free cup of water. :D We were penny pinching to get back on gas money (Even though I DID spend 25$ on a shirt..so...yeah. :D) So, I got a small cup of water and as I look down the street, I see a van that's about the equivalent  of 4 or 5 house lengths away from the venue. As I began to cross the street, this freak hits the gas and flies right towards me. I freaked out, ran across the street, spilled half of my damn water and bumped into some guy. The guy wasn't angry with me but I was really pissed at the driver of the van. I flipped him off and said about a thousand swears in 10 seconds.  :D But I was able to drink half of the water and get back inside before Obituary started their set.

It was certainly an eventful night.
  •  

TheAspieBakier

I'm afraid I am very much a nu metal brat; weened off the likes of Disturbed, Korn, Linkin Park, etc. Although I've been accepting some other stuff like Eluvetie, Mushroomhead, In This Moment wasn't bad when I heard clips from their newest album, it takes me a while to get into something new, tbh.
  •  

KyleEdric

I'm more into black, doom, stoner, and folk, personally. I was actually curious to see how well trans individuals are accepted in the metal community. You know if there is quite a lot of phobia, or not?

My current obsession belongs to Ghost, and their new album is bloody fantastic! I was so happy to see Disturbed end their hiatus as well. Tengger Cavalry is REALLY good folk, that I was pleasantly surprised to hear. Same with German band, Finnsterforst.
"I know your soul is not tainted, even though you've been told so."~Ghost 'Cirice'

•  

Wynternight

Quote from: KyleEdric on August 22, 2015, 05:12:24 AM
I'm more into black, doom, stoner, and folk, personally. I was actually curious to see how well trans individuals are accepted in the metal community. You know if there is quite a lot of phobia, or not?

My current obsession belongs to Ghost, and their new album is bloody fantastic! I was so happy to see Disturbed end their hiatus as well. Tengger Cavalry is REALLY good folk, that I was pleasantly surprised to hear. Same with German band, Finnsterforst.

If you have Ghosts you have everything. I love Ghost!!

HRT- 31 August, 2014
FT - 7 Sep, 2016
VFS- 19 October, 2016
FFS/BA - 28 Feb, 2018
SRS - 31 Oct 2018
  •