Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Workplace restrooms reflect new realities

Started by Shana A, January 13, 2013, 08:42:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shana A

Workplace restrooms reflect new realities
Amenities serve nursing mothers, transgender workers and others

7 hours ago  •  Carli Brosseau Arizona Daily Star

http://azstarnet.com/business/local/workplace-restrooms-reflect-new-realities/article_3cc066a4-f0b0-5540-9438-74740357daf1.html

A decade ago, it was rare for an employer to design a building with transgender employees, new mothers or cycling enthusiasts in mind.

No longer.

[...]

Bathrooms have been a flash point in workplaces all over the country as the visibility of transgender workers has steadily increased. For LGBT advocates, however, the issue simply comes down to privacy.

Out & Equal supports single-occupancy or otherwise very private bathrooms, but not just for use by transgender people.

They may be desirable to people who feel uncomfortable about a co-worker who uses a certain bathroom, or employees may appreciate the privacy for some other reason, Jones said.
"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

•  

Del

Sometimes I wonder if Walmart's "family" restroom isn't for transgender folk.
It seems rather pointless otherwise since parents can take their children into the restroom with them. Unless the child's age is of concern.
They are so afraid of losing a dollar or gaining another lawsuit I just can't help but wonder if that is their discreet answer to the bathroom dilemma.
  •  

Jamie D

Quote from: Del on January 18, 2013, 08:59:36 AM
Sometimes I wonder if Walmart's "family" restroom isn't for transgender folk.
It seems rather pointless otherwise since parents can take their children into the restroom with them. Unless the child's age is of concern.
They are so afraid of losing a dollar or gaining another lawsuit I just can't help but wonder if that is their discreet answer to the bathroom dilemma.

As transgendered people account for just 0.3% of the population, according to a study by the Williams Institute released last year, I doubt that is Walmart's  motivation.  It is more likely that they want clean, safe bathrooms to attract more of their primary shopping demographic - families with children.
  •  

Barbara Ella

I would agree with Jamie D.  I think we are seeing an opening up that while not specifically targeting transgendered folk, is proving that it is inclusive, and more non threatening than in the past.

Barbara
He (she) who would learn to fly one day must first learn to stand and walk and run and climb and dance.
- Friedrich Nietzche -
  •