Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Any Guitar Players, Other Musicians Out There?

Started by V M, February 01, 2013, 06:36:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

allisonmaybe?

Yes!!! I have been playing guitar for about six years now. I really just like to dabble into all sub genres of rock, its great to see other musicians on here.
  •  

Felix

I'm happy to say that my roommate is back to playing and recording. It's weird stuff, though; he likes to add his guitar and whatever effects to samples he gets from AM radio. He has repurposed garbage that he destroys or otherwise manipulates to make new sounds. He has played drums in a number of bands, but he can't practice that in our apartment and doesn't want to own a car so finding a way to go back to that seems impossible.

I'm still not making music, but I've always ached to do something. I occasionally try to learn how to use some of the music programs that come on the used computers I tend to have, but I'm a digital illiterate and it just makes me feel useless. My hands are really bad, but I wish I could find some way to do more than just listen to music.
everybody's house is haunted
  •  

Valleyrie

I've been playing guitar for about a year now and plan to start a course in music next year! I mostly play death metal and death core and am working on some tech death songs right now which are quite challenging. I have a Schecter demon-6, some crappy Yamaha acoustic guitar, a drum kit I don't touch and an electronic keyboard for when I used to play lol. I'd approach a band consisting of trans people the same way I'd approach any band or any sort of music in that matter. Though, it would be really cool to see a female death core vocalist who can hit some insane lows and highs, would be a sight to see!
  •  

Lady_Oracle

Yeah I play everyday on my strat, mainly rock n roll with the blues and folk stuff mixed in. Been working on my sound and recording tracks, getting the basics of mastering down. For anyone that wants to learn how to play guitar, just pick up an acoustic and learn 3 chord songs, that's how I started.

I would love to be a part of a trans band. I'd play lead and rhythm or just rhythm and be the vocalist at the same time. I'm dying to be in a band but until I get my own car again, I can't get serious about gigging yet or joining any bands.
  •  

CynthiaAnn

Yeah, I play Bass guitar :) In a couple of active bands here in the Seattle area. I'm a lefty....

Use Carvin 5 strings, Guild fretless, Fender P....
  •  

Jill F

Sweet!  Another guitar thread.

I am one of the biggest guitar freaks in the world and I just love spanking the plank!  I have owned over 200 guitars in my lifetime.  I have the collection "pared down" to 25 now and am prepared to dump 5 more soon.
  •  

TheQuestion

Yup, Butterscotch Telecaster... but I don't play it much anymore.  I tend to be on my keyboard or piano these days.
  •  

Jill F

Quote from: TheQuestion on August 24, 2014, 08:14:02 PM
Yup, Butterscotch Telecaster... but I don't play it much anymore.  I tend to be on my keyboard or piano these days.

Yummy!  I loves me some butterscotch.  Especially the ones from 1950-1954. 
  •  

Alexmakenoise

Guitar player / drummer here.  Having a hell of a hard time being taken seriously playing while presenting as female.  People like my songs, but I get a lot of requests to join Look At The Cute Girls bands, and a lot of "no girls in our guy band" from the guys.  It makes me mad.  And it makes me question my transition.  Part of me wants to keep being a female guitar player and drummer in order to break doen stereotypes.  Part of me wonders if my gender dysphoria is partly motivated by the way female musicians are treated.  Can anyone relate to this?
  •  

Jill F

Quote from: Alexmakenoise on September 06, 2014, 08:14:46 PM
Guitar player / drummer here.  Having a hell of a hard time being taken seriously playing while presenting as female.  People like my songs, but I get a lot of requests to join Look At The Cute Girls bands, and a lot of "no girls in our guy band" from the guys.  It makes me mad.  And it makes me question my transition.  Part of me wants to keep being a female guitar player and drummer in order to break doen stereotypes.  Part of me wonders if my gender dysphoria is partly motivated by the way female musicians are treated.  Can anyone relate to this?

There is no way that GD has anything to do with how female musicians are treated.  It's mostly a boys club.  ::) 

Wanna jam?  I've got you pegged for a Californian for some reason.
  •  

katiej

Quote from: Alexmakenoise on September 06, 2014, 08:14:46 PM

I have always had a lot of respect for girl drummers...when they're good drummers.  Most just tend to be less aggressive and don't hit as hard.
"Before I do anything I ask myself would an idiot do that? And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing." --Dwight Schrute
  •  

Alexmakenoise

Jill F - I'd say yes if we knew each other in person, but I'm keeping my internet and in-person social lives separate for now.  Are those your guitars in your avatar?  Nice collection.

katiej - I hit hard!  But I don't identify as a girl.
  •  

RockerGirl

Quote from: katiej on September 07, 2014, 03:22:39 AM
I have always had a lot of respect for girl drummers...when they're good drummers.  Most just tend to be less aggressive and don't hit as hard.
That's why I play with 2b sticks! ;D If the neighbors aren't pissed your not playing the drums right;D
  •  

katiej

I tend to switch between 2B's and 5A's depending on the situation.  I used to know a guy that always used 7A's...and whenever I tried to play with his sticks they just felt like toothpicks.  I could never get enough power...but he was more of a finesse player anyway.
"Before I do anything I ask myself would an idiot do that? And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing." --Dwight Schrute
  •  

V M

Use what ever sticks you feel comfortable with, The only thing I care about with drummers is timing

Keep good time, know when to bust it up and still keep the beat
The main things to remember in life are Love, Kindness, Understanding and Respect - Always make forward progress

Superficial fanny kissing friends are a dime a dozen, a TRUE FRIEND however is PRICELESS

- V M
  •  

Jill F

Quote from: Alexmakenoise on September 07, 2014, 08:00:29 PM
Jill F -  Are those your guitars in your avatar?  Nice collection.

Yes, and that's just the Fenders. There are also many others.  And thank you!
  •  

Alexmakenoise

And a Marshall stack too!  That's really cool.

LauraSquirrel - I play a lot of different genres, mostly heavier stuff.  Genres of bands I've played in: psych rock, d-beat, anti-folk, cow punk, light pop (not really my thing, just filling in), punk rock n roll, melodic queer punk, garage rock, sludge/thrash metal (my current band).
  •  

Miss_Bungle1991

Quote from: Alexmakenoise on September 09, 2014, 08:58:42 PM
LauraSquirrel - I play a lot of different genres, mostly heavier stuff.  Genres of bands I've played in: psych rock, d-beat, anti-folk, cow punk, light pop (not really my thing, just filling in), punk rock n roll, melodic queer punk, garage rock, sludge/thrash metal (my current band).

Cool.
  •  

Jill F

So I got this big ass pedalboard for all 11 of my FX pedals a couple of years ago and used the doublestick velcro that came with it to tack them down.  Of course, when I hauled it to rehearsal, the tape didn't stick and the pedals went everywhere inside the case.

What's a girl to do?  The solution I just implemented works like a charm. 

Step 1- Buy a pink bicycle chain.
Step 2- Disassemble bicycle chain completely so that the individual links are loose.
Step 3- Find the links from the outside that are all pink.
Step 4- Unscrew 2 screws at the bottom of every pedal, and screw it back inside one of the holes in the link.  Pink side out (of course!)
Step 5- Figure out where you want every pedal in your signal chain.  Experiment.
Step 6- When you have everything where you like it, put a self-tapping shorty wood screw in the other hole of the link.  You may need a long screwdriver or bit.

HA!  They're bolted down now and I'm ready to rock anywhere!
  •