Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Any Guitar Players, Other Musicians Out There?

Started by V M, February 01, 2013, 06:36:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

katiej

Jill, your rig sounds like it could withstand just about anything.

A friend of mine has started a company arranging pedal boards and making custom cables.  He gets amazing tone from his rigs.  He'll also mod the pedals if the client wants him to...he spent a few years working for JHS pedals and really knows what he's doing.
"Before I do anything I ask myself would an idiot do that? And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing." --Dwight Schrute
  •  

Ally_B

Quote from: V M on February 01, 2013, 06:36:06 AM
I started playing guitar years ago in the mid 70's, been in various bands and such during the 80's and 90's but mostly just dabble about with it as a hobby now

Do any of you play? How long have you played? What style? What kind of guitars/instruments do you have? What kind of guitars/instruments do you lust after?

How would you feel about a band consisting of trans people?

Played guitar and sang/growled/shrieked/warbled/made-weird-noises in a metal band for over a decade. Been playing for about 16 years. Playing style, probably falls somewhere within the bounds set by Sonic Youth and Burzum with all sorts of shading inbetween (hint, hint)....

Have a custom Jazzmaster replica, an Epiphone SG copy and a few mid to low level acoustics laying around.... Nothing TOO flash.... My dream would be a genuine vintage SG. :)

A band w/ trans people? Well, I feel the same about it as any band.... Doesn't matter what is between yr legs, just don't suck! That said, I've always dreamed of being in an all girl band, and I think it would be a blast to connect musically with other people who know what it is like to have lived life with this pain; this secret.... I think remarkable things could come of it with the right combination of music tastes and personality. :)
Don't stop to ask;
Now you've found a break to make it last.
You've got to find a way,
Say what you want to say;
Breakout
  •  

traci_k

Been playing Acoustic off and on for 40+ years, mainly folk/country/country rock (think Peter, Paul and Mary, early John Prine, Eagles). Haven't been playing as much lately as I've been letting my fingernails grow out more. How do you other girls play without screwing up your nails, or do you keep them short? Me, I have fat fingers so I have to fret with the tips not the flats of the fingers.

Hugs,
Traci Melissa Knight
  •  

Miss_Bungle1991

I would just ditch the nails. Music comes before all of that girly crap.
  •  

OliviaTrapezoid

I play keyboards! I do a little bit of guitar too.
My keyboard is a Celviano (modeled to look like an upright piano).
My guitar is a black Fender Blacktop Stratocaster HSH.
I also write and record full out music! I use the drum key-preset on my keyboard for percussion instruments, and I have a fancy pedal called the whammy pedal, and use that to downtune my guitar a whole octave to play bass for my music. I do wish I had a more realistic sound for percussion, but my guitar sounds fine pretending to be a bass (since it is pretty much a guitar turned down an octave...)
  •  

PastyPrincess

In middle school I had guitar lessons for a few weeks but my mom gave away the guitar and cancelled my lessons (To this day I don't know the reason) and I really want to get better at guitar and join a metal band. A friend of mine said he used to be in a band and I'd like to start a band with him but I'm not as good at guitar as I'd like to be. I want to play guitar in a sort of progressive metal/Djent style way much like Periphery or the direction of the new Veil of Maya Matriarch album, or in the sense of Dream Theater.
Seventeen and strung out on confusion,
Seventeen and coming clean for the first time,
no mom and dad will never understand,
what's happening to me.
  •  

KaylaMadison

I play guitar, keyboard/piano and drums. I had a band with my brother with me doing the writing, vocals, guitar and keyboard, and him on the drums. I still dabble a little on the guitar every once in a while but I haven't touched a paino in years, and that's what I miss the most.
Came out to self/wife - 5 June 2014
Started HRT - 8 April 2015
Full Time - 29 May 2015
Currently Working on Name Change
  •  

chromaggia

ive been playing guitar for a few years now, ive got a few electrics and an acoustics

at the moment my favorite guitar i have is my peavy les paul, it has such a pretty sunburst color, i only hae a 10 watt amp that sounds awful and im working on getting some new gear but its expensive!

i love to play punk rock and pop punk music playing guitar is just something that i LOVE to do
call me Lizzy

True trans Soul Rebel

hrt since 01/14/15
  •  

CalmRage

I had a lot of fun playing guitar earlier.

I tuned down a whole step and played a little set for myself. I really got into it this time, savouring each word and strum, closing my eyes inbetween and just feeling it. No originals though. My well is dried-up, it seems, so once again a selection of Neil Young and Dylan tunes.

"setlist":

Just Like A Woman
Love Minus Zero
Dangerbird
Four Strong Winds (well, technically not Young, but whatever)
Expecting To Fly
The Old Laughing Lady
Winterlong
I Believe In You
Ramada Inn

I know my technique is a bit on the rough side, but that was not the point. I deliberately switched pace at times because i was just feeling it. Also, i couldn't use my higher range (i'm a bit ill right now) so certain songs were out of the question. My lower range sounded quite good though. On key, soft, yet clearly enunciated.
  •  

schwarzwalderkirschtort

I'm a bassist if that counts.

I used to play the accordion, which I miss, but I can't continue learning it due to lack of resources.

I also sing, but not in public.
  •  

Emileeeee

Been playing the piano since I was 5. Picked up trombone for about 10 years at 9 and picked up guitar for about 15 years when I was 11. Piano's the only one I still play though.
  •  

jossam

I don't play a lot so I could still improve, but I play rock and metal and been playing for 8 years, but again, not very constantly so don't think of 8 full years. I also play the piano/keyboard.
  •  

Karen6-10inheels

yeah right here. play guitar and then picked up bass.
now doing electronic music with the software. produced quite a few industrial tunes and even some classical. get the sheet music online transpose to software.
  •  

KerryJK

Quote from: V M on February 01, 2013, 06:36:06 AM
Do any of you play? How long have you played? What style? What kind of guitars/instruments do you have? What kind of guitars/instruments do you lust after?

How would you feel about a band consisting of trans people?

Music and teaching music is my vocation, every attempt I've made to do something else for a living has led me right back to it in one way or another. 

My main instruments are keyboard and vocal, but I also play guitar, bass, drums and whatever else makes the noise I want at the time.  I can't tour anymore for personal reasons so focus on teaching while continuing to release music under various guises to keep in practice.  If anyone's interested, my site (with examples of what I do and have done) are on my profile.

Regarding the trans band, I was asked to front one that was formed for a trans festival in the UK (and did so). While I like promoting gender issues in music (I released a song for free download for International Transgender Day of Visibility), I don't like it being the main focal point so much as an aspect a project that speaks to a wider audience on a deeper level.  Or to put it another way, I don't want "hey, I'm trans, look at me!" to be the takeaway message from what I do, not when there's so much else I want to say as well.

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

"I don't want to be convincing, I just want to be myself".
  •  

KathyLauren

I recently joined a concert band that is composed mostly of seniors.  I haven't played in a band for over 30 years, and I'd forgotten how much fun it can be.  I used to play clarinet years ago, but I've learned tenor sax for the band.

We practice weekly, and recently entered in an adjudicated music festival.  We are playing an end-of-season concert tonight with a couple of school bands.  We are supposed to be inspiration for the school kids.

I also play hammered dulcimer.  It's mostly a solo instrument, but I discovered that no one wants to hear a solo musician unless it's a singer-songwriter with a guitar.
2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2020-03-11 GRS; 2020-09-17 New birth certificate
  •  

rochyrob

I started playing bass and guitar in high school back in the late 80's. Played in a garage bands playing mostly covers, hairband stuff with some heavy metal. Haven't been in a band since then though. Don't want to deal with the drama and scheduling problems. That and it seems like the older I get, the more I rather keep to myself.

I have been just goofing off on my own since then. I've bought and sold too many guitars/amps to list. Right now I only have a mim strat. Changed pups to lace sensor golds and did a complete fret job on it a year back. It actually plays and sounds better than the American standard I had before I had this one. (had to sell to pay for lawyer fees in divorce from my first wife, arg.) Although, I have been thinking about putting something hotter in the bridge position. I also flipped the bridge and mid pup at the switch to be able to use neck and bridge at same time, kind of like a tele. I got the idea from a youtube video and like the way it sounds.

Dream guitar (right now, ha) would have to be an elite tele thinline.

I mostly learned on my own, then took lessons after college for a while.

Right now I am in the process of learning the Led Zepp catalogue in the order of release. My guitar has always been what I use to keep my mind off of my GD. The worse it gets, the more I play.

A trans band, why not?
  •  

jossam

Quote from: Karen6-10inheels on March 31, 2016, 10:24:59 PM
yeah right here. play guitar and then picked up bass.
now doing electronic music with the software. produced quite a few industrial tunes and even some classical. get the sheet music online transpose to software.
Ohhhhhh I've always wanted to make industrial music. Do you have any suggestion about softwares?
  •  

KerryJK

Quote from: jossam on May 05, 2016, 08:37:05 PM
Ohhhhhh I've always wanted to make industrial music. Do you have any suggestion about softwares?
Depends on your level and platform.  I use Cockos Reaper myself, but it's not the most user friendly DAW for beginners despite offering super serious value for the price.  Presonus Studio One has a fantastic free version to get you started, but you'll need to upgrade to use VSTis (which you'll want to get big synth sounds for industrial music).
You can even get a free version of Protools now, but be prepared to join a waiting list and deal with some annoying licensing software to keep it running.
If you're on Apple formats, Garageband will take you far and, when it's time to get serious, it's a simple step up to Logic.

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

"I don't want to be convincing, I just want to be myself".
  •  

ghoulified g

I play primarily guitar and bass since I have room in my room to keep guitars, but I really want a drum kit so I can learn to play that too xD I have quite limited ability on violin, keyboard/piano and mandolin, and I played in my old school's steel band :D

I've been playing guitar since I was 11 or 12, so about 4 years now...? I play rock and metal because that's what I'm into, I'll play stuff from Soundgarden to Metallica to Rammstein to Sabaton to Tool and most stuff in between xD I've been playing bass a lot more since I bought one around Christmas time, I play the same kind of stuff though I haven't learned as many songs. My favourite song to play on bass is Birth Ritual by Soundgarden, it took me a while to be able to keep up when using my fingers to pick but I got there eventually. I also had a hard time mastering B.Y.O.B. by System Of A Down on guitar (that bit in the chorus got me every single time!) but I really enjoy it now I can play it. I mostly learn by ear, I'm pretty sure I have absolute/perfect pitch, whatever you call it, so I find it really easy to switch between tunings and play lots of different songs with just one guitar. I think one time I was playing The Day I Tried To Live (EEBBBB) and then played 4th Of July (CFCGBE) straight after... I'm surprised my strings are still going, I've had them on my guitar since November! I just need to find a band... I have riffs that need homes

My dream guitar is an Ibanez DMM1 (the painting thing is so cool!) and my dream bass would probably be a 12 string like Jeff Ament's xD
  •  

objectionyourhonour

Hey there, I play guitar! Also keyboards, bass and electric violin. I front a (very amateur) classic rock tribute band, mostly singing and fill-in-the-gaps instrumentals. I have a beat-up second hand strat 'cos I'm broke, object of desire is the 2015 Les Paul quilt. God that thing is beautiful!
Don't dream it, be it.
  •