Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Any Guitar Players, Other Musicians Out There?

Started by V M, February 01, 2013, 06:36:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

karenpayneoregon

I picked up my first guitar at 16, played in live bands in my early days, put together a music room for recording in my thirties and have done a good deal of recording. About 15 years ago learned piano and dabbled with electronic drums but not very good with them.

I favor the Gibson Les Paul Standard, Fender Strat and Tele. Amps, Marshal, Mesa Boogie, Fender and Line 6 is my current arsenal. Not much into effects but have the standard ones. A touch of delay and reverb suits my fine.

Music has always been a passion and a go to place throughout my life. I don't think there is a day that goes by that a guitar is not in my hands
When it comes to life, we spin our own yarn, and where we end up is really, in fact, where we always intended to be."
-Julia Glass, Three Junes

GCS 2015, age 58
  •  

IdontEven

Where are all the instrument pics?! I came in here to drool on guitars and the only thing I see are some cool looking bass guitars, Jill F's collection that's too small for me to make out, and a very shiny bassoon! :p

I'll show you mine if you show me yours? I've got a super cheap Yamaha electric that I got to learn on, and a cheap Yamaha acoustic that I got because reasons, but my this is my baby -

It's a far better guitar than I deserve or have any right to be playing, but it just sounds so amazing. It's a La Patrie Etude, which is a cedar top and ends up having quite a dark tone for a classical; it sounds better every time I get it out of the case. I hadn't played it for like 2 weeks when I got it out earlier this week and it sounded kind of weird. Especially the low E. I thought maybe the strings had died or something, but after playing around with it a bit I figured out what was going on - the guitar had gotten noticeably darker in tone in the fortnight I didn't hear it! <3

The lack of a glossy finish lets the wood breathe really well, and I guess it's maturing rapidly. When I was shopping around for a classical I was pretty much decided on a Cordoba, but I was told to go to a local music store that had two of these. Played this one in the morning, spent all day longingly-thinking about it, and bought it that night. I'm way, way too attached to an inanimate object for my own good.
'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.
  •  

karenpayneoregon

Here are several of mine. The gold top has a good deal of history from a story of how it was purchased to using it while playing in two bands some thirty years ago and was appraised at ten thousand dollars and only paid eight hundred for it. After many years I gravitate to the center one, it is a relief cut body with out of phase and single coil options. This guitar was rather pricy, $4,500 but worth every penny. The right most guitar has custom pickups and was purchased for specific recording sounds. 

Here is one side of my home recording studio, digital four track recorder where each track has eight virtual tracks, tons of features. To the right of that is a iPad with music software for working in tangent with the keyboard below it. A studio bastardized Charvel guitar in the background.

Here is another wall in my studio. The rack contains many items, pure digital reverb on top, power surge protector, next two are guitar effects used live and studio usage, bottom is a Yamaha rack version of their famous DX7 keyboard. Center of the rack is a mixture. All rack items were purchased in the early eighties and so going strong.

The amp is one of three Marshall amps I own.

When it comes to life, we spin our own yarn, and where we end up is really, in fact, where we always intended to be."
-Julia Glass, Three Junes

GCS 2015, age 58
  •  

objectionyourhonour

Don't dream it, be it.
  •  

Roses and Songs

I had a post here a few days ago and it's gone, please enlighten me, thanks.
  •  

ghoulified g

Quote from: IdontEven on June 10, 2016, 04:12:51 PM
Where are all the instrument pics?! I came in here to drool on guitars and the only thing I see are some cool looking bass guitars, Jill F's collection that's too small for me to make out, and a very shiny bassoon! :p

I'll show you mine if you show me yours?

I've got pictures of three out of five (well, kind of four I guess) but I'll stick em all in here anyway :'D

Here's my Fender, the first guitar I bought myself! It's got sort of skinny humbuckers on it, so they fit into the single coil slot things, I keep it tuned to drop C/D standard q: It cost me £375 from a local, he bought a mix of American and Mexican parts to build it so I can see why it was cheapish but with those pickups and the limited run body I'd have thought it would be a bit more expensive. Not complaining though, I love this guitar to bits! Had it for just over a year now, I bought it a couple of days after my birthday last year. I've put this one throught some weird tunings, I did EEBBBB on more than one occasion and tried EEEEEE to play Mind Riot by Soundgarden but decided against it because I felt like the B string was going to give up if I tuned it up to E (since I'm assuming it's done with three sets of two strings with the same pitch but the three sets are at different pitches because all low E would be terrifying)

This is my bass, an Epiphone thunderbird that cost me £150. Bought it after Christmas. I was going to buy an electric drum kit, but then I saw this thing... I still haven't gotten used to the giant neck, I broke my lampshade with it by accident. The head just went right through it! I do all sorts of tunings on this poor thing since it's my only bass.

And here's my latest addition, an Ibanez thing that cost me £90 with a cable, strap, stand and strings thrown in. I bought it a couple of days after my birthday this year, had to clean it up a bit because it was covered in cigarette crap and dust and everything stank but it's mostly fine now apart from the stuff I'd have to take the strings off to clean. I use this one for E standard/drop D stuff. My knockoff Fender strat's in the background of this one, I think my mum's selling it though since I never use it. That one's got a weird sound to it when it isn't plugged in, I don't know how to describe it, but it doesn't sound like my other two, that's for sure. I'd use it for Eb standard/drop C# if I liked it better, it just seems awfully generic to me. I know the bass is the same colours but I see waaaaay more strats/similar than thunderbirds. Oh, and my tiny Marshall I got for Christmas from my auntie and uncle's there too, and my bookshelf. My very overloaded bookshelf.
  •  

V M

Quote from: Roses and Songs on June 12, 2016, 03:05:56 PM
  I had a post here a few days ago and it's gone, please enlighten me, thanks.

Are you looking for this one in Guitar anyone? Electric or accoustic?

The main things to remember in life are Love, Kindness, Understanding and Respect - Always make forward progress

Superficial fanny kissing friends are a dime a dozen, a TRUE FRIEND however is PRICELESS

- V M
  •  

Roses and Songs

Quote from: V M on June 12, 2016, 07:21:18 PM
Are you looking for this one in Guitar anyone? Electric or accoustic?

Ha ha, you are so right but you know, hormones must be responsible for this momentary panic attack...  (but not me, of course)
BTW, I heard you were an incredible player, anywhere I could listen to you?

Thank you so much V M. Take care, Rose.
  •  

V M

Quote from: Roses and Songs on June 12, 2016, 08:02:37 PM
Ha ha, you are so right but you know, hormones must be responsible for this momentary panic attack...  (but not me, of course)
BTW, I heard you were an incredible player, anywhere I could listen to you?

Thank you so much V M. Take care, Rose.

No worries, glad I could help  8)  We have a few guitar threads out there so it's easy to get them confused with each other sometimes

I think I'm a bit rusty but I guess I play okay, haven't recorded anything for awhile or put together any vid.s lately but sometimes I think about throwing something up on YouTube

Hugs

V M
The main things to remember in life are Love, Kindness, Understanding and Respect - Always make forward progress

Superficial fanny kissing friends are a dime a dozen, a TRUE FRIEND however is PRICELESS

- V M
  •  

jmyle

Music is one of the things I'm most enthusiastic about. I primarily play bass, but I also write/play songs with my guitar. I also play the keyboard, but I'm quite rusty on that. I'm hoping to learn drums soon.
  •  

WarGrowlmon1990

I started playing bass guitar in September 2005-- coincidentally when I first discovered the possibility of being trans (and getting rudely shoved back in the closet for ten years). I was in a horror punk band for a few years but it didn't last. My bandmates lived to party and during our three years as a band, we came up with only two completed songs. Basically every band practice would consist of them taking over the session, them taking smoke breaks every 5-10 minutes, them drinking enough to no longer focus on the practices, the guitarist being condescending and judgemental and them lecturing me (whether it be over my abusive ex, my basslines or how the anime sequel I'm working on was a load of bs to them).
     I got kicked out of that band once during my abusive former relationship. The funny thing is they acted as if they cared so much about me but when the drummer got paranoid and thought my ex was gonna steal her songs and take credit for them (I have no clue where she got that idea from. The only thing he did was keep calling our band by the name I picked which was disgarded because of their own ideas) and she had absolutely no problem kicking me out and not talking to me. After I left my abuser, they suddenly had no problem with me coming back in the band after they had "an amateur" bass player take my place. It lasted only another year because those girls then had a problem with my partner. I'll admit that my relationship with him had a rocky start because of his PTSD, anger issues and jealousy, but it seems like they just plain didn't like me spending time with partners over them. It got to the point where I felt like that band was not going to get anywhere and that practices would turn into lectures against me. Right as I was going to tell the drummer I was quitting, she informed me that they felt it was best if I left the band. Things seemed to plummet when I started taking care of my partner's daughter who was just a baby at the time. My band mates actually tried to tell me that our band was our baby and that I needed to focus on it more than the actual kid I was starting to love as my own. It's pretty sad that they acted like that when in reality they never actually put in as much effort as they claimed.
     I ended up losing that bass to a pawn shop at the end of that year (2011). My partner and I were stuck couch surfing at the time (and ended up being stuck couch surfing until a month before our first son was born in August 2013) and we needed the money for the little amount of groceries we could afford. That bass was very cheap and poorly built and the outlet seemed to be attached with glue and tended to fall out every year or so. But I still miss it. Especially now that I know I'm a trans guy and I wanna start learning some Against Me songs. Hopefully by the end of this year I'll have enough money saved up to buy an even better bass guitar. My step-daughter who is now seven is also taking an interest in musical instruments so it'd be cool to start giving her lessons.
     My partner is also talented when it comes to music. He started with piano and singing and now he's a local celebrity in our city. On top of being able to sing well and rap, he produces the instrumental beats for his songs. He has had a couple songs on the radio, has been in a few music videos and is busy working hard at his painting business so he can save enough money to focus solely on his music career. It takes money to make money in the music industry unfortunately, but he's got so much potential in this. My bandmates on the other hand... they ended up splitting up and I don't think they're friends anymore. In 2012 the guitarist made a post on their band page about how they "got rid of a dirty hippie and now have a blonde bombshell of a bass player" and that I'm never going to get anywhere. Hmm... looks like the opposite is going to happen in terms of that.
  •  

Lily.Arwen

I am a bluegrass girl :)

I play the dobro (resonator guitar).
:icon_love: :icon_love: I like boots  ;)
  •  

Angela Drakken

I've been playing guitar since my early teens. (13-14?) Electric and acoustic. My problem now is I'm no longer in a band, and landlords generally hate the 'noise.' (Unless I plug my headphones into my amp or effects pedals, I dont get to play much anymore. Stifled.)

This is one of my babies right here;

I've also had the urge to BUILD my first guitar but have never been able to find the time, or shop space yet =/
  •  

ghoulified g

Anyone else like putting stickers on their guitars? I put some dragon stickers on my bass and a sticker I got from my Yield vinyl on my fender

I sometimes think of it as "The Yield Guitar", it has the same kind of colour scheme as the album cover, with the blue and brown swirls, the sticker and the black scratchplate:

I use giant, red, triangular picks as well xD I've used those things so long it feels weird to play with normal sized picks, all the cool designs are on those sizes though so I still collect them. I got some pretty nice ones for Christmas, there's about six with dragons on and I love them
  •  

rebeccal

Guitar is my first instrument, but I've always been something of a Jill of all trades, mistress of none!

My big love is songwriting. :)
  •  

Angela Drakken

Quote from: ghoulified g on December 26, 2016, 08:13:53 AM
Anyone else like putting stickers on their guitars? I put some dragon stickers on my bass and a sticker I got from my Yield vinyl on my fender

I sometimes think of it as "The Yield Guitar", it has the same kind of colour scheme as the album cover, with the blue and brown swirls, the sticker and the black scratchplate:

I use giant, red, triangular picks as well xD I've used those things so long it feels weird to play with normal sized picks, all the cool designs are on those sizes though so I still collect them. I got some pretty nice ones for Christmas, there's about six with dragons on and I love them

My first electric and acoustic were PAINTED with stickers. (The acoustic very well may have been held together with them. <3) My new matte black hollow body would look cheap with stickers on it sadly. Shes a bit stuck up that way. :3
  •  

kittenpower

My hubby got me this PRS ce 24 for Christmas; I absolutely love this guitar 😊
  •  

V M

The only sticker I've had was on the back of a Strat I bought off my heroin addicted cousin years ago, guess he needed a fix pretty bad

Hated the idea of being an enabler, but I'd been recently robbed of my guitars and needed something to play a gig with and I'm not going to pass up a decent playing Strat

He said he'd be back for it but unfortunately he went to play the big gig in the sky over 20 years ago

Anyway, I'm not real big on stickers but sometimes I think about pasting them over some peoples mouths  >:-)

- V M
  •  

Valkria01

Quote from: karenpayneoregon on June 11, 2016, 05:06:18 AM
Here are several of mine. The gold top has a good deal of history from a story of how it was purchased to using it while playing in two bands some thirty years ago and was appraised at ten thousand dollars and only paid eight hundred for it. After many years I gravitate to the center one, it is a relief cut body with out of phase and single coil options. This guitar was rather pricy, $4,500 but worth every penny. The right most guitar has custom pickups and was purchased for specific recording sounds. 

Here is one side of my home recording studio, digital four track recorder where each track has eight virtual tracks, tons of features. To the right of that is a iPad with music software for working in tangent with the keyboard below it. A studio bastardized Charvel guitar in the background.

Here is another wall in my studio. The rack contains many items, pure digital reverb on top, power surge protector, next two are guitar effects used live and studio usage, bottom is a Yamaha rack version of their famous DX7 keyboard. Center of the rack is a mixture. All rack items were purchased in the early eighties and so going strong.

The amp is one of three Marshall amps I own.

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o  SO beautiful
  •  

kaitylynn

Was started in to guitar lessons when I was 6.  The only thing I learned is tuning a guitar, but that has turned out to be a great tool.  Shifted from guitar to trumpet and it was fun, but eventually I shifted back to my 6 strings.

It is awesome to see the artists on the board here.  I currently have a Stratocaster that I built on a donated Asian body and a Mexican Strat that I bought.  Love playing, but that is all I really do...just sort of play around making music.
Katherine Lynn M.

You've got a light that always guides you.
You speak of hope and change as something good.
Live your truth and know you're not alone.

The restart - 20-Oct-2015
Legal name and gender change affirmed - 27-Sep-2016
Breast Augmentation (Dr. Gupta) - 27-Aug-2018
  •