Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Starting down the road

Started by Terra, February 10, 2013, 08:14:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Terra

I identify as Wiccan, I have for some years now. Though since I spent the last 2 years working as a CNA I couldn't identify myself as such (many an awkward time came from that). But one thing i've always been trying to do is try to figure out how this all actually works. I've read many books and sources but they all seem to contradict each other, like for examples i've been told I need to learn Norse runes to do magik but others say just make up whatever I want. Or another saying if I don't believe in fairies then i'm not Wiccan.

Honestly I want to find answers, and I know that Wicca is supposed to be all inclusive. But I can't seem to find any real kind of baseline other then the rules three and the Wicca Rede. At least I think i'm supposed to stay away from the books that promise me the ability to transform into a werewolf though.  ;)

Is there a good source for the solo practitioner who is trying to start down this road? Many thanks to any feedback.
"If you quit before you try, you don't deserve to dream." -grandmother
  •  

Shang

It depends entirely on what you're comfortable with, if you're going to be solitary, work with a coven, etc.  I personally suggest Wicca:  A Guide for the Solitary Practitioner by Scott Cunningham to start out with.   There also many more books by him and I've enjoyed the ones I've read so far.

An issue I've run into is that there was no real apparent set of beliefs that were written down when Wicca was first formed in the 1900s, at least none that I can find to be concrete as sites and books will take you all over the place [and some will flat out say that Wicca is older than the 1900s when it isn't; it was created in the 1900s though it may have based some of its teachings off of older ones].

Anyway, good luck!  It can be hard to find information, but it's out there.
  •  

Ms. OBrien CVT

I studied Scott Cunningham's Solitary Practitioner.  Also Raymond Buckland and Silver RavenWolf.  I walk my own path. 

As long as one follows the Rule of Three and The Wiccan Rede, any practice is allowable.

And what is wrong with being a Lycan (werewolf).

It does not take courage or bravery to change your gender.  It takes fear of living one more day in the wrong one.~me
  •  

Shang

Quote from: Ms. OBrien VT on February 10, 2013, 08:34:21 PM
I studied Scott Cunningham's Solitary Practitioner.  Also Raymond Buckland and Silver RavenWolf.  I walk my own path. 

As long as one follows the Rule of Three and The Wiccan Rede, any practice is allowable.

You had to post that ma'am...My god, I'm going to have nightmares now. xD (+1 for this and the overall post. xD)

What you mentioned about any practice being allowed is what I've noticed.  I've met Wiccans who are "Celtic" leaning, Kemetic leaning, etc. in their beliefs.   I'm not really Wiccan as I'm too lazy to do any of the rituals though a lot of the beliefs sit just fine with me.  I follow a variety of gods [Kemetic, Celtic, Nordic, and Hellenistic in type], too, and even did so while I was a practicing Wiccan.
  •  

Emily Aster

I'd heard of Scott Cunningham when I was learning about it, but I ended up using Solitary Witch: The Ultimate Book of Shadows instead. Very easy to read and had a ton of information.
  •  

Terra

Quote from: Ms. OBrien VT on February 10, 2013, 08:34:21 PM

I've actually read and have some of these books. I guess i'm also trying to find middle ground between Christianity and Wicca. Which i've been told is stupid to try to do. Are we free to post more questions and stuff on the forums? Is there a restriction on what we can ask/talk about?

P.s. got nothing against Lycan, two of my friends claim to be Otherkin. But if I could change my shape, my first choice wouldn't be one of a wolf. ;)
"If you quit before you try, you don't deserve to dream." -grandmother
  •  

Ms. OBrien CVT

Keeping your question, especially spirituality, to the appropriate sections is fine.  Sometimes it can get heated, but that is what we mods are for.  To keep the ship from running aground.

It does not take courage or bravery to change your gender.  It takes fear of living one more day in the wrong one.~me
  •