In game Gender Dysphoria

Started by AwishForXX, February 11, 2013, 11:45:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

If the option is given in RPGs and FPSs, what gender do you play

Same as my true gender.
Same as my birth sex.
Other, please explain.

WaspWoman

As a kid I generally preferred female characters but growing up between two brothers I got a lot of crap so I could really only get away with it when I had an excuse.

"I like peach because she can float. duh."

Nowadays I frequently play both genders. Generally I see myself as playing a character and not me, and sometimes the character I have in my mind plays better as male, sometimes as female. That being said I do tend to like my female characters more, and feel more in-tune with them.

Also, female or male, dressing them up in awesome/adorable outfits and hair is often as much fun as playing them  :D
Cheers!
- Drew

Come by and enjoy a refreshing Drewski @ thedrewpub.tumblr.com :icon_drunk:
  •  

LThesaurus

Oh, I remember SMB2 as well! I always picked Peach myself, but to me it was legitimately because she could float. Either I was in a lot of denial or I just thought very practically back then... Either way, once game characters broke the more abstract look, and got to be 3d and real-ish looking, I couldn't do male characters anymore. I never realized until then that it actually did bother me.
  •  

WaspWoman

Quote from: LThesaurus on April 14, 2014, 11:31:30 PM
Oh, I remember SMB2 as well! I always picked Peach myself, but to me it was legitimately because she could float. Either I was in a lot of denial or I just thought very practically back then...

Yeah, honestly it was probably a bit of both for me; as much as I enjoy gaming I have never been good at it. I can always use as much help as I can get!   :laugh:
Cheers!
- Drew

Come by and enjoy a refreshing Drewski @ thedrewpub.tumblr.com :icon_drunk:
  •  

AnneB

I am a pirate at heart, and spent 7yrs playing several female characters, freeing my soul on Disney's Pirates of the Caribbean Online as Kat Heartbreaker, or Anne Bonny.. Created another female player, Samantha Firerage a month before The Rat shut the game down on.. wait for it... Talk Like A Pirate Day!  Many of my online friends moved to SWTOR, or WOW or LOTR, I moved to Pirates of the Burning Seas but it was a lot tougher.. So I only go on to chat with friends now, -always- in my proper gender, not my born one.  I just can not play someone I'm not.

My kids asked why, my nephew asked why, my wife too.. I told them (covering), I always get helped more  with the harder quests, as a girl. :/

Still, I can't play, what I'm not.  I'm on FB the same way.  I'm am female on FB.

•  

Skyler

^ oh my gosh i loved that game it was so fun....i wish it didn't close down :c
  •  

jaybutterfly

Quote from: Malachite on February 11, 2013, 11:48:55 PM
If the option is given to me, I will always choose to play as a male.  The only exception was Smackdown vs Raw 2008 where I created a wrestling woman, but she had facial hair.  In Saints Row 2, I created a male with a female voice.  I hate being a girl in real life so why should I suffer in video games?

you hit the nail on the head. My Skyrim female darkelf is a lot of fun to play

also, respect for the Kairi display picture. Love Street Fighter
  •  

AlexHunter

I almost always play female characters in games when the option is there. Previously, it was "always" but after son asked me why I always played girls I started up some male toons to play while he's around. Not the best solution, but there's some places I'm just not prepared to go yet.
  •  

TrojanMan

Hmm very good topic. Ever since I was little I would choose the male character instantly. I never questioned it because it just felt so right. But whenever I played with my brother he would accost me for it and make me play as the girl character, or not play at all. I once tried, but it just felt so wrong and unnatural. It was so life changing when I found out I was trans because everything just "clicked" all of the sudden, after I had been so confused and depressed as a child. I still play as a male character, but sometimes if there is a part where I have to run around bare chested (Dead Rising) it makes me jealous and a little bit angry.

AnneB

I have played, the last, almost 8yrs now, as my true gender, in, of all things, a Disney game... Pirates Of the Caribbean Online (sadly, it's gone now), I played, I talked, I laughed, I cried, I joked, I fought, like a girl, and never felt free-er.   Now that it's gone, I moved to Pirates of the Burning Seas, another MMO,.. A lot harder to play, but still, I am Anne Bonney.  A retreat, an escape, to my real life while I play, and live, online for now, as myself.  I die, each time I sign off.

The first group, (better graphics) I am playing now.. The second, is the Disney game, not so good an engine, but it's closed now, so, awesome clothes, lots less dysphoria, and more calming effect... But I can not live on board the ship. :(

http://s1370.photobucket.com/user/PaulaC1958/library/?sort=3&page=3
  •  

Kiwi

I've always felt a boy so I chose male characters since I was a kid playing video games. Now I really like Animal Crossing for Nintendo 3ds because you can speak and interact with people of all countries and they only see the male character, so you can't be misgendered :) I like role games where you can customize your character.
What does my gender identity has to do with my pizza order?
  •  

OreSama

When I'm playing 2D games, I almost always play a male character.  In 3D games, it really depends on the graphics.  Like in some games the only way to create an attractive character (from my perspective at least) is to make the character female so I'll play female characters then but otherwise I play male characters.
  •  

Nami

I've always played girl characters in games. I will rarely play a game if I cannot be a girl character. The only game I actually actively play in which I cannot play a girl character is the Assassin's Creed series and that is because I love the story, other than that I occasionally play Far Cry 3 and soon 4, I do not play games unless I can play as a girl.
  •  

Jera

Quote from: Nami on July 22, 2014, 10:31:05 AM
I've always played girl characters in games. I will rarely play a game if I cannot be a girl character. The only game I actually actively play in which I cannot play a girl character is the Assassin's Creed series and that is because I love the story, other than that I occasionally play Far Cry 3 and soon 4, I do not play games unless I can play as a girl.

I actually feel the exact same way about AC ^^. I just picked up Brotherhood the other day.

The only other games with male characters I've been able to play for any length of time are the Legacy of Kain series, again because I love the story.
  •  

padawanloser

I've always liked playing female characters if they're available just because they're SO underrepresented. To me a badass female is way more fun to play than a badass dude lol  ;D
I won't suffer, be broken, get tired, or wasted
Surrender to nothing, or give up what I
Started and stopped it, from end to beginning
A new day is coming, and I am finally free
  •  

awilliams1701

This is another case of denial on my part. I used to say why the hell would I want to look at some dude's nasty ass for hours when I can look at a cute girl's butt instead. I ended up FEELING like I was a part of the game as the female character in many cases. Oh I'm just taking on that character, its not me. Denial, Denial, Denial. I know the real reason now.
Ashley
  •  

awilliams1701

Wait that indicates one other problem. If there is an option to put slutty caked on non flesh tone makeup on your character, I always do it. Does that say something about me?
Ashley
  •  

Silver Centurion

Before I knew I was trans I was always playing male characters in video games. I must have played four different MMO's over a 15 year span and never once created a female character until a little while ago and that's just because I had a concept that amused me :) In RP I've always had male characters as well.
  •  

Nami

Quote from: Jera on July 22, 2014, 05:42:39 PM
I actually feel the exact same way about AC ^^. I just picked up Brotherhood the other day.

The only other games with male characters I've been able to play for any length of time are the Legacy of Kain series, again because I love the story.

I like all of the games but AC: Brotherhood is by far my favourite. Ezio is also my favourite character in the series of games.
  •  

Lizzeh

I've always wanted to see a character with gender dysphoria go through Silent Hill. Because the monsters are manifestations of one's inner demons. I always thought that would be cool to do. Plus I absolutely love the series.
  •  

Wynternight

Playing Wildstar now so my character is a small, cute, furry (I am NOT a furry) but Aurin are too cute not to love. Any race that has "being really mean" as a capital crime is too cute to pass up on.
Stooping down, dipping my wings, I came into the darkly-splendid abodes. There, in that formless abyss was I made a partaker of the Mysteries Averse. LIBER CORDIS CINCTI SERPENTE-11;4

HRT- 31 August, 2014
FT - 7 Sep, 2016
VFS- 19 October, 2016
FFS/BA - 28 Feb, 2018
SRS - 31 Oct 2018
  •