Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Subtle Discrimination?

Started by J.T., May 30, 2007, 09:04:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J.T.

I found the treatment i received at lunch today very ODD. I hadn't been there in about three months, and I've only been there a handful times so its not like I'm a regular.

Two seating sections, when i entered i noticed there were two booths available (clean tables) in the front one closest to the street.  The other tables were taken up by a two pairs, and then two singles.  I was seated in the back section, nobody else was there.  About three minutes after i arrived a pair came, and they were seated in the front section.  A couple of the tables emptied out later, and when another single person arrived they were put in the front section as well.

I also noticed that i was given a large glass of water instead of regular size like the other customers.  Nobody ever came over and asked me how my food was like they usually do  (and did to the other patrons).  It was just strange!!  Why did they seat me in the back section??

It wasn't because the tables were full or dirty, or because i was a single person.  Wasn't because I'm a regular because I'm not.  I got a strange vibe that I've never felt there... could it be that I am just making something out of nothing?  And really it isn't that big of a deal, only i noticed it and wondered why i was being treated differently.
  •  

Steph

One way to find out is to return and see if they try and seat you in the rear again.  If they do insist that you be seated in the front and ask them why they want you in the rear.  i know in many restaurants that they try and spread customers around to give the impression that it's full, and then often to spread customers around the wait staff.  But from what you say it does seem as though there is some subtle discrimination/segregation going on.

Steph
  •  

J.T.

thanks for the reply

Quotei know in many restaurants that they try and spread customers around to give the impression that it's full,

yeah, that is what i thought they were doing at first but when other people came and they were seated in the front it puzzled me.

I'm very interested in seeing if it will happen again.
  •  

Judge Yourself

ht, I'm a very paranoid person so I'm not the best person to comment, i think everything is suspicious - though id be interested to know if it happens again :)

and isnt subtlety the worst kind? :P
  •