Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

WPATH SOC Flexible Guidelines

Started by Keira, April 21, 2013, 10:27:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keira

I stumbled across this particular part of the WPATH Standards of Care and I thought it might help my brothers and sisters that live in small towns where there are few trans-knowledgable people...

It should be noted that the current version of the WPATH Standards of Care leaves a lot of room for a harm-reduction model. The document suggests that health care providers use the Standards of Care guidelines that can be modified depending on the individual needs and life circumstances of the patient. It states:  "Clinical departures from the SOC may come about because of a patient's unique anatomic, social, or psychological situation; an experienced health professional's evolving method of handling a common situation; a research protocol; lack of resources in various parts of the world; or the need for specific harm reduction strategies." While ongoing therapy can be an important source of support in a person's gender transition, trans-positive and -specific mental health care is not always possible, because of financial limitations or geographical location, nor is it always desired by the patient.

Quoted from a Quebec Trans Health Clinic

http://santetranshealth.org/jemengage/en/guide-contents/cross-gender-hrt/

The quoted portions of WPATH are up to date. :)

This is also to help my brothers and sisters that just don't have the money to transition, but have enough to start. You can skip over portions of the SOC guidelines, after all they are JUST guidelines. The overall point of the guidelines is to make sure that the patient is sure of what they are doing and the timing of everything they are doing. The secondary point is to convince the doctor that you are ready for these changes.

This may be done in any way that will reasonably convince a doctor you are ready, and to make sure that you yourself are ready for hrt or even srs. (Although the letters for srs are pretty serious since srs is irreversible)

Just as an example...

My personal situation is that I need a few months of therapy, laser for my face, new wardrobe of girl clothing, makeup, baseline hrt tests, and hrt meds. This all costs money, but I'm lucky if I'll have enough. So instead of shelling out $500 to be "evaluated" for hrt, I'm able to get therapy, be assessed, and explore my personal issues/whether or not I want hrt.

I'm going to go to my therapy, give my GP info about trans people and hrt. If my doctor isn't willing to do the hrt because he doesn't know...I'll get him to find another doctor or endocrinologist. Basically I'm just going to get my therapist to assess me for a few more sessions, and then get him to write a letter for my doc saying that I am sure of my identity, other conditions have been rules out, and I know the effects of hrt. I'll probably also use an informed consent sheet.

Be well,

-Skye
  •  

Azusa John

There are new standards as you have shown where the "Gatekeeper" concept is being shifted aside. However  the thing is you can change therapist and doctors to suit your needs. To top it off in some states you can go to a doctor with a straight out request and sign an informed consent waiver, if you feel like the previous situation was being inordinantly draw out.
  •  

TaoRaven

Thank you for posting this. This is a great read, and it is nice to see that some of the same concepts that are being promoted by the ICATH SOC are making their way into WPATH as well.

Progress!!!
  •  

Devlyn

No reason to stumble around the internet finding things that have always been right here on the site!

https://www.susans.org/wiki/Standards_of_Care_for_Gender_Identity_Disorders
  •  

TaoRaven

Quote from: Devlyn Marie on September 14, 2013, 08:31:25 PM
No reason to stumble around the internet finding things that have always been right here on the site!

https://www.susans.org/wiki/Standards_of_Care_for_Gender_Identity_Disorders

while this link to the WPATH overview is helpful and useful, it's not the same material as posted in the OP. But it is a very good link to add to this thread, so that we may use it as a reference in relation to the OP's link. Thank you.
  •  

Devlyn

I see what happened, the O/P said she was quoting the WPATH, then posted something else.
  •  

Keira

I ended up getting the evaluation, my psychologist was very kind and caring. She was well informed about LGBT+ people. It costed $450 but it was the only way I could get hrt where I live.

-Skye
  •  

Keira

Quote from: Devlyn Marie on September 14, 2013, 09:50:57 PM
I see what happened, the O/P said she was quoting the WPATH, then posted something else.

I didn't mean to confuse...I was quoting the website which quoted WPATH and showed how you can use WPATH to facilitate medical care by informed consent. I was specifically saying that the version of WPATH that was quoted was the new (7th) verson. :)
  •  

Ltl89

Yay! Skye's back!  How's everything?
  •