Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

We must censor the fablemakers

Started by LostInTime, June 01, 2007, 12:36:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LostInTime

In Plato's, `The Republic` Socrates is quoted at having said something similar.

What do you think? Should public fables be censored in order to only present a positive world to the children so that they may grow up to be ethically strong or ??????????????

•  

Pica Pica

Plato disliked all the arts.

He thought that an artistic representation was a copy of what was in the world, itself a copy of the truth of the perfect object as it would have appeared in platonic heaven. He wanted to banish all artists from the Republic because their creations of the counterfeit. He thought maths was the way to the platonic heaven. (I can't remember, but I think he was pretty bigoted also, St Paul taking a lot of his ideas to explain Christianity and Christian ethics.)

Plato was a miserable sod, if his Republic had existed I would have lived in some disorganised artist's shanty town, not far away.
  •  

The Middle Way

Quote from: LostInTime on June 01, 2007, 12:36:43 PM

What do you think? Should public fables be censored in order to only present a positive world to the children so that they may grow up to be ethically strong or ??????????????

ABSOLUTELY NOT - and this tempts me to start a new topic, define ethics.

Quote from: Pica Pica on June 01, 2007, 04:52:09 PM
Plato disliked all the arts.

He thought that an artistic representation was a copy of what was in the world, itself a copy of the truth of the perfect object as it would have appeared in platonic heaven. He wanted to banish all artists from the Republic because their creations of the counterfeit. He thought maths was the way to the platonic heaven. (I can't remember, but I think he was pretty bigoted also, St Paul taking a lot of his ideas to explain Christianity and Christian ethics.)

Plato was a miserable sod, if his Republic had existed I would have lived in some disorganised artist's shanty town, not far away.

Well, Plato's ideal of the chair you can actually sit down in, versus the represented chair (or worse, the CUTE chair that is butt-torture) was a good riff, but extended perhaps a bit far...

And the thought that he might have been a bigot because his ideas can work as apologisms for suspect systems, you can extend to another EG: Nietzsche was a Nazi.

But I tend to agree with 'was a miserable sod', particulalry because of this sort of thinking "censored in order to only present a positive world to the children so that they may grow up to be ethically strong", which might be more or less tolerable because of the antiqueness of the thinkers, but likes to fall into the hands of less scrupulous latter-day opportunists.

TMW
  •  

Pica Pica

His system is not just apologetic, it has things built in that are bad. The only children who need to be ethically strong are the people specifically brought up to be philosopher kings. His system is built to be rigorous and strict, what could now be seen as the ultimate dystopia.

Also, a lot of the Nazi elements of Nietzsche are brought about by his sister who looked after his career when he was committed to an asylum. Can't remember his name but one of the big recent philosophers was a Nazi appointed bishop of somewhere.

•  

The Middle Way

Quote from: Pica Pica on June 01, 2007, 05:17:34 PM
His system is not just apologetic, it has things built in that are bad. The only children who need to be ethically strong are the people specifically brought up to be philosopher kings. His system is built to be rigorous and strict, what could now be seen as the ultimate dystopia.

Well, yeah, and it is pretty miserable stuff, a lot of it. But I don't believe you always got to toss the baby along with the bathwater.

WHICH LEADS TO:

Nietzsche, talkin' 'bout miserable, spent most of his time in his own bathwater due to some 'orrible skin disease, which might explain a lot.

tmw
  •  

Pica Pica

•  

The Middle Way

Quote from: Pica Pica on June 01, 2007, 05:23:03 PM
good moustache though.

do you know whether or not he had that moustache copyrighted?
  •  

Pica Pica

•  

Lisbeth

We already do.  What do you think film makers are?
"Anyone who attempts to play the 'real transsexual' card should be summarily dismissed, as they are merely engaging in name calling rather than serious debate."
--Julia Serano

http://juliaserano.blogspot.com/2011/09/transsexual-versus-transgender.html
  •  

The Middle Way

Quote from: Pica Pica on June 01, 2007, 05:43:20 PM
unlike zappa you mean?

Ask the widow bout that one. She drives a Rolls ya know.
Should public fables be censored in order to only present a positive world to the children so that they may grow up to be ethically strong or ???

That is just what The Nazis used to prop up the whole aesthetic of their world domination scheme. A primary problem with that sort of thinking is that you have to use a sort of dialectic to formulate what is desirable, IE: it is easier to cite a negative exemplar than a positive. What you quickly end up with is nothing good at all.

tmw
  •  

Pica Pica

The amount of money I've given her, I'm not surprised.
  •  

Cindi Jones

No.  Flat out.  We should tell ALL the stories and fables.  After all, many of the religious stories are considered by many to be fables, yet there is great truth in our collective stories. 

Besides... if they took away my Star Wars DVD's, I'd really be fit to be tied.

Cindi
Author of Squirrel Cage
  •  

Pica Pica

Except attack of the clones, they are welcome to it, I'll just stick to the clone wars cartoons.
  •