Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

vigil for kate

Started by shysilent, May 09, 2013, 09:35:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Devlyn

So sad, was Kate close to you? Hugs, Devlyn
  •  

Ltl89

This is really sad news.  If any of Kate's friends or family reads this, my thoughts are with you. 

I really can't stand bullies.  Why do they get such enjoyment hurting others and destroying the spirits of others?  Is this what they are looking for?  I don't really believe in karma, but this kind of stuff makes me hope some of it comes around their way.  Sorry for this tangent, but bullies don't deserve the pass they always get. 

•  

Beth Andrea

...I think for most of us it is a futile effort to try and put this genie back in the bottle once she has tasted freedom...

--read in a Tessa James post 1/16/2017
  •  

Jamie D

We lose too many of the young ones.  My heart breaks every time I read about something like this.
  •  

bethany

Such a tragedy, I hope Kate is resting in peace.
  •  

Jamie D

From the "LGBT Center of Raleigh"

Time Out Youth is saddened that we have lost a beautiful and brilliant mind this past week Kaitlin (Kate) Laffitte. Kate was a rising senior at UNC-Charlotte majoring in engineering and grew up in Cabarrus county. While her birth family was not supportive of her transition, she found friends, family and a home at Time Out Youth and UNC-Charlotte.

Her passing deeply impacts our youth, staff and volunteers, as well as, many members of our community who shared in her life. Her death reminds us of the tremendous pressures felt by many lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and questioning youth who struggle with depression, suicidal thoughts, sexual orientation and gender identity....

Time Out Youth is committed to assisting our youth, if you or someone you know is depressed or needs to talk please refer them to:

Trevor Project Crisis Hotline: 1-866-488-7386
National Suicide Prevention Hotline: 1-800-273-8255
Hearing and Speech Impaired Hotline: 1-800-799-4889
Hope Hotline: 1-800-784-2433
National College Graduate Hotline:1-800-472-3457
Veteran Help Line: 1-877-838-2838
Youth Suicide and Crisis line: 1-877-968-8454

We appreciate your thoughts and prayers for our youth, staff and volunteers during this difficult time.
  •  

Jamie D

Another post I found, from a friend:

Goodbye, Kaitlin
This weekend I lost a dear member of my family.  While she was not a blood relative, Kaitlin was family nonetheless.  She was my family by choice.  She finally succumbed to depression, a disease as insidious as cancer.  I met Kaitlin a couple years ago while volunteering at Time Out Youth, a support organization for LGBT youth here in Charlotte.  At the time she was a bit shy (oh how THAT would change), she had a mop of chestnut wavy hair, and a beautiful smile when she would let you see it.

In the time I knew her I was blessed to watch her blossom into a confident young woman.  TOY was a good influence on her.  She was on the Speaker's Bureau, which gave her the opportunity speak in front of groups about being trans.  She built a network of many friends and had their love and respect.  She even won the "Best Hair" superlative at the TOY prom last year.  Sadly, she thought it was a joke at the time. Depression lies and it wouldn't let her believe that she was truly beautiful that night.

At one point when Kaitlin was estranged from her family she came to live with me for the summer.  I was happy to help her out with a place to live but more-so to help her with her questions and concerns about transition.  There were a lot of discussions about hormones, dating, sex, hair, and space travel. Remember... both geeks.  It was an interesting summer having her as a roommate but I learned how amazing she was.  I was so proud of her for the strength she had in transitioning.  The only downside of that summer was my Netflix recommendations were really odd for a while.

Kaitlin had so much to offer the world. She was smart, geeky, and had a dry and often inappropriate sense of humor.  She would have graduated this year from UNC Charlotte as a mechanical engineer.  The last time I saw her in person she was so happy.  She had been learning Japanese and had been talking about teaching in Japan.  She had been the brightest and happiest I had seen her. I can only imagine what transpired in her life between then and now to have brought her to such a dark place.  I wish she had known how many people there are who loved and cared for her.

To all the people in my life who are suffering from depression and thinking of taking your life: DON'T! Call me! PLEASE!  I don't want to lose another person who is dear to me.  Remember depression LIES.  Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem.  Below are some other resources you can contact for help.

Please stay alive, you are worth it.
  •  

StellaB

Oh Lord I'm so sorry. Please accept my condolences.

Bullies are evolutionary throwbacks who belong in zoos. I resent having to share a genus and species with them.

"The truth within me is more than the reality which surrounds me."
Constantin Stanislavski

Mistakes not only provide opportunities for learning but also make good stories.
  •  

Shantel

That poor darling, my heart grieves for her and so many others who have fallen prey to overwhelming depression and the negative comments from others who consider themselves civilized. May she rest in the arms of her loving creator!
  •  

Catherine Sarah

(EXPLETIVE starting with an 'F')

Another (EXPLETIVE)ing name that has to be read out on November 20.

When will society learn to stop marginalising, institutionalising anything that stands outside their narow bigoted way of thinking. Did Kate have a choice in being born the way she was?

Let's make THIS November 20, a day that will be remembered for the following 364.

Make this November 20 the day when the TI community stand outside the GLB's and stand for ourselves.

In Loving Memory of Kate

If you're in Australia and are subject to Domestic Violence or Violence against Women, call 1800-RESPECT (1800-737-7328) for assistance.
  •  

Jamie D

I posted those two amplifications of the opening post, not because I knew Kate, or because she was a member here (she wasn't, to my knowledge), but because I grieve every time I hear about something like this.  I wish I had known her.  I wish I could have talked to her.

I said in the earlier post, that I hate to lose the young ones.  This does not mean I have no empathy for older members like myself, but that there is something profoundly wrong when a young person, just entering the prime of their life, has it quashed like that.  So senseless, so painful.

As a parent, I could not bear to lose a child.  As a friend, I could not take losing someone close to me.  As a human, I must do my best to see that these things do not happen again.
  •  

Rachel85

I am sorry. I am so sorry for you Kate. I hope you area at peace now.
  •  

chocoicecream

may she rest in peace  :icon_ashamed:
Please excuse any mistakes as English is my second language.

Thanks! ;)
  •