Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Rats and Mice

Started by LocustToybox, May 10, 2013, 05:21:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LocustToybox

How many of you guys have pet rats or mice? Most people don't like them and I can't understand why. I have an adorable little black and white rat that loves to cuddle up next to me while I'm reading or playing Skyrim. His name is Felix, and I have taught him several tricks, such as coming when I call his name and giving handshakes.
  •  

LordKAT

I feed my mice,...and they die. Might be from the bag of food saying rat poison but who knows....
  •  

Crona

Hey,
I have two husky rats named Quinn and Ash.
Quinn is currently gray and white, however gets already beige and brown spots.
Ash is currently light gray and her fur shimmers already a bit brownish.
Both are tame and love to sleep in the sleeves or in the hood of my sweater (while I still wear it :) ). I can let them run free in my room. They gnaw not at my things.
I can understand that some people do not like rats, but why must they always react so violently? It sometimes seems to me as if they almost have a heart attack just because they see rats. (when someone visits me, I leave the two not even run around ...)

Hope my English was correct so far, if not then correct me please.

Mau=ô.ô=
Crona
Mau? =ô.ô=
Platypus ^^
Whales are friends, do not eat them!
  •  

SierraK

I had two adorable dumbo rats, one grey and the other mostly white with a little grey hat, Atari and Luna. Ex-wife kept them when I left and I miss them a whole lot. They liked to sit with me while I played video games, too. I'm hoping to get some more in the near future when I can afford to give them time and train them. I had trained Atari to do twirls and Luna to beg. I loooooove tiny little rat hands holding things, they always look so adorable.
  •  

Crackpot

We've had 5 rats, not all at the same time. Spades, Burgundy, Doogan, Sticky Fingers Bakery, and Leelu Dallas Multipass (my wife named the last 2, can you tell?) They were all amazing pets.... even Spades whom we got from a pet store and was terrfied for like the first year. After that we started going to rescues and I must say, the rescue around us really did an amazing job handling them. Doogan used to sleep in my wife's hood while she played video games. He would stay there for hours. So cute.
"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain
  •  

Jayne

Quote from: Tiffols on January 09, 2014, 02:27:02 PM
Doogan used to sleep in my wife's hood while she played video games. He would stay there for hours. So cute.

When I was a teenager (many moons ago) I had a friend who's rat spent hours in the hood of her hoodie, it was highly amusing when after talking for hours the rat would wake up a crawl onto her shoulder scaring the crap out of people who'd never seen the rat.
I have a hamster but can't handle her as she sets off my allergies, i'm considering getting a rat when she passes away as i've heard they don't effect allergies too badly, can any of you rat owners confirm or deny this?
  •  

Crackpot

I have very sensitive skin and did have some skin related allergies if they every scratched when crawling on me. The scratches would puff up and turn really red and burn for a few days. But I'm sorry I'm no help for other types of allergies like respiratory ones, itchy eyes, etc.

I will also say though to keep the cage really clean especially if anyone has asthma, and for the sake of the ratties respiratory as well.

Quote from: Jayne on January 09, 2014, 02:46:30 PM
after talking for hours the rat would wake up a crawl onto her shoulder scaring the crap out of people who'd never seen the rat.
Reminded me of high school. My neighbor had a rat (the first rat I ever fell in love with). He would stay in my sleeve and sometimes I would take him to stores with me. I forgot he was there one time and handed a prescription to the pharmacist and she nearly peed herself. Good times.
"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain
  •  

Missadventure

My ex and I had three PEW rats that we got together. She got them in the breakup. Although I do miss my ex, I miss the rats more. They were wonderful pets.

Lorus

I've had roughly a dozen rats in my lifetime. Galileo was my first rat, a standard-eared white and some type of grey with blazed marking. I really don't understand the social stigma either.
  •  

ThatGuySy

I know this is an old(er) topic, but I got really excited when I saw it and couldn't help myself.
I absolutely love rats. They are seriously one of the most misunderstood pets, but also one of the most rewarding, imo.
Had my first 3 rats in college. I've kinda been going with a Shakespeare name theme, and so I had a female Ophelia (Lia), female Isabella (Izzy), and a male dumbo Hamlet.
After those three had passed, I only lasted a month. My next was a rex female Rosaline.
After Rosie, I deviated into X-Men names with Logan, who was a ginger-colored dumbo male (he was an absolute sweetheart but had to be euthanized.) And then there's Magneto (Maggie) the rex female who has just a black hood. And I can't forget Ringo. Ex named him but I have "custody." He's my fat blob boy and loves to snuggle.

As far as allergies go, their claws can definitely cause major skin irritation unless you have one that is complacent enough to allow trimming and bathing.
Their saliva and urine are two other things that can cause reactions. Rats sorta mark their territory as they go, leaving a small trail of urine behind them. And believe it or not, they like to lick and give kisses.
One last issue is if you get a double-rex, which can be totally bald or just have uneven fur patches, you may not necessarily have allergies from fur, but from the skin. Most (not all) double rexes I've seen have had varying levels of skin issues, which can pose a risk for potential allergens.

Ok, so before I embarrass myself anymore by how much of a kid I am when it comes to rats, I'm just gonna stop.

TL; DR
Rats are bad@$$
  •