Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

savannah anyone?

Started by milktea, May 31, 2013, 03:45:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

milktea

has anyone any experience with a savannah cat? i heard it can jump around a lot and may be harder to maintain than regular cats....
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
I have a post-op recovery blog now...yeah!
  •  

yellowsub11

OoOoOoO!!! We have a Savannah and we loooove!!!! him soooo much!!! He is AWESOME!!! YES! he is a jumper but I wouldn't say that he is harder to maintain then a regular cat.. but as someone that came to our house recently said.. "Um that's not a regular cat!"

They are very exotic looking and their wildness all depends on what generation they are.  They are hybrids, cross breed with an African serval and a domestic cat (most commonly a bengal) And the first breeding is called an F1 which you won't be able to legally own as a house cat here in the US and honestly wouldn't want. They would be WAY too wild and require special permits, raw food diets and outdoor housing stuff.. F2s are also pretty wild and some states don't allow you to own them without permits either but they are owned domestically in the US.

F3s are where you really start to get the domestic side of the Savannah cat. (Ours is an F3)   An F3 is still going to be about 16% Wild Serval so they keep back most F3 females for breeding and only sell F3 males.  F3s are still pretty dang wild and crazy. so if you want the "look" of the Savannah cat but want one that is more on the "tame" side then you should probably go further down the F-chain to an F6 or F7

My mother-in-law has an F6 male and he is sooo docile and sweet just like a regular 'ol house cat. Our f3 on the other had is a wild and crazy boy!

They can get really really big too! But that is all in the luck of the draw. No breeder can promise you a large Savannah cat. This place is the place here is the US that has the World Record largest domestic cat in the world and he is a Savannah cat if you want to take a look at him. he is beautiful.. http://www.a1savannahs.com

But truly they are great! They are a lot like dogs really. they are super social, very vocal and like to follow you around everywhere. If you are a cat person they are awesome animals. We love cats. We have 3 rescue cats (used to be four until our sweet Bongo girl passed away after 16 years last Feb) and our Savannah cat and they all live happily under one roof!
Friendship is magic
  •  

milktea

freakin awesome! i would love to get one...tks a dozen for the detailed answer! i'll need to check what local permits are needed...i suppose even a f3/4 can be house trained? also i heard they can be expensive..is there a reference price and where to find a legit breeder?
btw also do you have to walk it outside everyday like a dog?
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
I have a post-op recovery blog now...yeah!
  •  

yellowsub11

Sorry for the late reply - they are totally litter box trained and no walking required :)

Our F3 was $2200 and that included flying him from Colorado to Texas. A-1 http://www.a1savannahs.com is the most reputable breeder in North America (that is where my mother in law got hers) but there are tons of other reputable breeders out there.  here is a great breeder site: http://www.savannahcat.com/public/index.php?page=breeder
Friendship is magic
  •  

Ms. OBrien CVT

Holy Jeegez that is one BIG cat.  And I though Maine Coons were big.

It does not take courage or bravery to change your gender.  It takes fear of living one more day in the wrong one.~me
  •  

shadowcat

Some day I'll find a way to get one of these. Though that was probably surmisable just from my avatar. :P
  •