Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

What surgeries are required to change your gender on your birth certificate?

Started by KamTheMan, June 25, 2013, 09:42:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KamTheMan

In New Jersey specifically if it's different state to state. It says you need a surgeons letter and so need to be post SRS, but does that mean top AND bottom surgery? Or is just top okay? Thanks!

•  

Cyndigurl45

A letter from my urologist he looked at my orchi scar and said that I had "irreversible genital surgery" I had my hair and makeup done up and a very cute spaghetti strap flower print sun dress went to the county court house filed the forms for a name change didn't need the letter, the judge asked a few questions smacked her gavel pay the clerk Cyndi name change granted, I mailed the name change order and surgery letter to Hawaii where I was born, plus the forms and fees, in two weeks a new birth certificate with new name and gender marked female took all 3 to DMV walked out with my new DL took ALL that social security and they changed there info, but every state is different good luck sweetie :-)
  •  

KamTheMan

Yea I went to those sites before. They say you need a surgeons letter and be post- SRS. But what does post SRS mean?? Top and bottom surgery or just top??

•  

Devlyn

You got me there. I keep hearing it needs to say "irreversible" to qualify, so maybe it's just up to how the surgeon writes the letter?
  •  

KamTheMan

Gotcha. Thank you Devlyn! And thank you Cyndi for sharing your experience!

•  

randomroads

A hysto could be considered 'irreversible SRS' if the doctor writes it right. I'd call a trans friendly doc in your state and ask.
I believe in invisible pink unicorns

•  

dpadgett628

Quote from: WileyCoyote on June 25, 2013, 05:43:44 PM
Yea I went to those sites before. They say you need a surgeons letter and be post- SRS. But what does post SRS mean?? Top and bottom surgery or just top??

From what I have read on the subject, it's all in how the surgeon words the letter.
"The future I'm living now, is not what I'd thought it'd be. The person I was before, is nothing like me. The future I'm living now, is the way I want it to be." -Sick Puppies

•  

mangoslayer

I got mine changed on my PA birth certificate with just top surgery. I think it all depends on the letter.
  •  

Simon

Quote from: randomroads on June 25, 2013, 07:26:30 PM
A hysto could be considered 'irreversible SRS' if the doctor writes it right. I'd call a trans friendly doc in your state and ask.

Yep. My hysto surgeon is working on my letter right now. I've reviewed a draft and it is going to say I have "had appropriate clinical treatment and received irreversible genital surgery for gender transition". That letter alone should suffice for changing my gender markers on all my documents but I am going to wait until next year and have top surgery. Then that will be two letters. I am trying to avoid having to hire a lawyer to get this accomplished which will be something seeing that I live in a conservative county in a Southern State.
  •  

aleon515

•  

kaiju

Just a heads up - some states are now asking for the pre and post op reports that detail what kind of surgery you had.
  •  

PrincessDayna

In michigan the requirement is a letter from a medical practioner who is liscensed and it just needs to say "so and so has had the correct medical procedures to be considered male/female." That can be surgery, hrt, or even therapy. :)
"Self truth is evident when one accepts self awareness.  From such, serenity". ~Me  ;)

•