I am TG and don't have dyslexia
7 (14.9%)
I am dyslexia
1 (2.1%)
I am not dyslexia
4 (8.5%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Jillieann Rose

Dyslexia is a type of reading disability usually manifested as a difficulty with written language, particularly with reading and spelling. Evidence suggests that it is a result of a difference in how the brain processes written and/or verbal language. It is separate and distinct from reading difficulties resulting from other causes, such as deficiencies in intelligence, non-neurological deficiency with vision or hearing, or from poor or inadequate reading instruction. < Information from Wikipedia,  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyslexic>

I am also dyslexic as is my youngest sister.
I'm wondering what percentage of the people here at Susan's have Dyslexia. Does this disorder which is not curable also plague may of us?
Jillieann
  •  

Cindi Jones

Author of Squirrel Cage
  •  

Jillieann Rose

Aer yuo sreu indCy?
iJlliaenn
  •  

Cindi Jones

Author of Squirrel Cage
  •  

TheBattler

hmm,

I am awful at spelling but I have not been tested for dyslexica. I guess I would have to say I am not dyslexic although I would not be supprised if I was.

Alice
  •  

Mia and Marq

Dyslexia has been described as thinking in three dimensions when a two dimensional solution is needed. For example, if you were saying the word acknowledge, where as nondyslexic people say the word most likely from left to right, a dyslexic person may attribute a 3rd dimension to the word where different letters receive a more emphasized meaning in their brains and when the word is recalled the value of the letters is considered when the word is said piecing it together out of order. Perhaps the word may be valued in a manner that nowackledge is produced.

In general if a dyslexic person thinks about their words as they say them, they can correct the misdelivery before the words are said except in the more extreme cases.

I am in fact atleast partially dyslexic as past experiences show. I was pulled over one night for swerving around on the road. I was just tired from a long drive. The officier asked me to count on my fingers up from 1 to 5 then 5 back to 1. Simple enough I thought but when I did it the first time I got

1 2 3 4 5 .....5 3 4 2 1
Slightly embarassed, I told him I was dyslexic and that I wanted to try again
Second time I got it luckily.
I guess I was just nervous the first time.

Marq and Mia

Being given the gift of two-spirits meant that this individual had the ability to see the world from two perspectives at the same time. This greater vision was a gift to be shared, and as such, Two-spirited beings were revered as leaders, mediators, teachers, artists, seers, and spiritual guides
  •  

Nero

I'm not dyslexic, but my sister is.
Nero was the Forum Admin here at Susan's Place for several years up to the time of his death.
  •  

Shana A

My younger brother is dyslexic. I'm occasionally slightly dyslexic when writing words, however I can barely write down a phone number without reversing a couple of numbers.

zythyra
"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

•  

LynnER

Im not dyslexic, bu my brain tends to be allot faster than my fingers.... unless Im on a really good keyboard. <most of the ones in this house stick and I dont know why> and Im quite fluent in typonese as Im a very horrable speller... but that was due to lazyness and stubornness on my part... why should I know how to spell a word when I knew what it ment, could read it, and could allways get a computer to correct the spelling for me LoL
  •  

Gray Seraph

I think I have some minor dyslexia, since my mind sometimes mixes up words I read and I lose my place pretty frequently. It makes reading books take longer, since I have to keep re-reading lines.

I'm not sure if it's related but I tend to read magazines from the last page to the first page( I don't know why I do, but it's a trait I share with my mother. Somehow the articles still make perfect sense to me).
  •  

Jillieann Rose

Marq and Mia that is a new one. I love it. At least he gave you a second chance. So I'm think in 3D wow I never new that.

Marciel like you I'm a slow reader.
And it has taken me alone time to figure out which letter is a 7 and which is  a L also another hard one for me was the p and the d.  Still when I'm tired I have to stop and think about them. Also I often put the second letter in a work before the first or leave it out completely.
So much fun. But I do love to read and share my feelings in writing.
:)
Jillieann
  •  

Godiva

Yes, I am profoundly dyslexic. I spent most of my public school years in the old style confined special education classrooms; in which we were simply warehouse so to not interrupt the rest of the student in the school that were in regular classes. Most of the students that were in my public school special education classes were emotionally disabled kids. My teachers spent most of thier time just keeping order and disciplining the student. I graduated school and was given a high school diploma that I was unable to read!!!! But through hard work and determination, I went on to college, then a masters program, then a Ph.D. program.

Godiva
  •  

Hazumu

Weird.  I missed the topic, but ended up having a conversation with someone on the subject jus a couple of days ago.  She said she had a terrible time spelling because of it, and had to develop strategies to spell words like [Wednesday] by breaking it up into WED NES DAY and mentally pronouncing it as such.  She learned to mis-pronounce many words such "SCHUUL" for school and "T'WOE" for two, in order to get the spelling right.

She also said that she was able to 'power' through reading because content and context filled a lot in, making clear the meanings of though, through and thought (tho, thru, and thot.)  I identified with the last, because those words still give me pause when I have'ta write 'em.

My brother-in-law is functionally illiterate because of his dyslexia.  I've been called on to read and explain stuff for him because of it.  It's not that he can't understand it, it's just that he's unable to perform some bit of processing that makes it possible to a majority of us to master the skill.

If you want a taste of what dyslexia sufferers go through, try mastering a foreign script!  ;)

Renak
  •  

Hypatia

Quote from: Karen on July 08, 2007, 01:38:07 PMtry mastering a foreign script!  ;)

Great suggestion, neraK. I have taught myself to read and write a dozen of them: Arabic, Bengali, Cyrillic, Devanagari, Greek, Gujarati, Hebrew, Hiragana, Katakana, Mongolian, Tamil, Telugu.

'Υπατια
λινγυιστ γεεκγιρλ
Here's what I find about compromise--
don't do it if it hurts inside,
'cause either way you're screwed,
eventually you'll find
you may as well feel good;
you may as well have some pride

--Indigo Girls
  •  

Jasmine

Yes I am dyslexic very and like Marcial I to read Magazines and technical books from the back to the front.

Hugs Jasmine
  •  

Hazumu

Quote from: Hypatia on July 08, 2007, 04:00:15 PM
Quote from: Karen on July 08, 2007, 01:38:07 PMtry mastering a foreign script!  ;)

Great suggestion, neraK. I have taught myself to read and write a dozen of them: Arabic, Bengali, Cyrillic, Devanagari, Greek, Gujarati, Hebrew, Hiragana, Katakana, Mongolian, Tamil, Telugu.

'Υπατια
λινγυιστ γεεκγιρλ

そうですか?偉い!すごく面白い。でも、漢字は?(^u^)

カレン
  •  

Thundra

If there is such a thing as numerical dyslexia, I have THAT!
I can compare two sets of multi digit numbers for hours and never be able to pick out the differences.
  •  

Sandy

I never realized I was dyslexic until my daughter was diagnosed as dyslexic.

It is genetic and I realized I had developed much of the same coping skills as described here on my own.  No one ever knew.  It is slight, but it has had a profound effect on my life.

-Sandy (dyslexics of the world...)
Out of the darkness, into the light.
Following my bliss.
I am complete...
  •  

Suzy

So Jillieann, is that why you wrote me that you are praying to doG?

Dyslexics of the World, Untie! (Right, Sandy?)

Kristi
  •  

rhonda13000

#1 - mildly.

It was never a problem until several months after the onset of HRT.

Very odd.
  •