Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Eiphany: Why not just wear a wig?

Started by Dreams2014, July 28, 2013, 03:28:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dreams2014

Have any MtF's on here ever thought about just wearing a wig? Surely it is easier.

Even as a physical male I've done all the hair care process. Washing, conditioning, drying, straightening etc.

Anybody else ever think the whole vanity process takes too long?

Farewell to my friends, farewell to the life I knew. I burn what once was, and in the ashes I am born anew.
  •  

Misato

HEAT!  OMG THE HEAT!

And then the sweat and the inevitable zits where the band hits your forehead.  All the time wondering if some brat is going to reach up and rip it off yer head.

I was so glad when my wig days were done.  I kept my workhorse one as a momento, but it has been retired.

As for the morning routine some days, well days I wake up late, I punt on the makeup.  Other than that I don't mind.
  •  

Dreams2014

Quote from: Misato on July 28, 2013, 03:33:51 PM
HEAT!  OMG THE HEAT!

And then the sweat and the inevitable zits where the band hits your forehead.  All the time wondering if some brat is going to reach up and rip it off yer head.

I was so glad when my wig days were done.  I kept my workhorse one as a momento, but it has been retired.

As for the morning routine some days, well days I wake up late, I punt on the makeup.  Other than that I don't mind.

Actually, yeah I didn't consider the heat. I imagine that would get pretty damn uncomfortable.
Farewell to my friends, farewell to the life I knew. I burn what once was, and in the ashes I am born anew.
  •  

ZoeM

Many of us also care a lot about realism (sometimes even face-to-face up close), and wigs don't always cut it there. (pun intended)

So, no offense but I'll take the extra care over "wiggy" appearance any day.
Don't lose who you are along the path to who you want to be.

•  

Dreams2014

Quote from: ZoeM on July 28, 2013, 03:36:54 PM
Many of us also care a lot about realism (sometimes even face-to-face up close), and wigs don't always cut it there. (pun intended)

So, no offense but I'll take the extra care over "wiggy" appearance any day.

Oh none taken, and it wasn't meant as an offensive statement. I was thinking about how I'd handle my own transition, and I know there are ultra realistic wigs. And when it comes to vanity, I'm just that lazy lol. But I don't really fancy an overheating brain.
  •  

Nicolette

Quote from: Dreams2014 on July 28, 2013, 03:28:10 PM
Have any MtF's on here ever thought about just wearing a wig? Surely it is easier.

Even as a physical male I've done all the hair care process. Washing, conditioning, drying, straightening etc.

Anybody else ever think the whole vanity process takes too long?

What do you think cis-girls do?
  •  

Dreams2014

•  

Renee

I hated wigs, gave me a headache and never seemed secure enough.  I have naturally curly hair and so long as I put the right product on it to keep it under control, care is easy, only wash it once a week and mostly let it do its thing, so I don't spend more than five minutes a day average on it.
  •  

Dreams2014

Quote from: Ralph on July 28, 2013, 03:54:51 PM
I hated wigs, gave me a headache and never seemed secure enough.  I have naturally curly hair and so long as I put the right product on it to keep it under control, care is easy, only wash it once a week and mostly let it do its thing, so I don't spend more than five minutes a day average on it.

I have an afro and my god when I used to manage it it needed the strongest anti-fizz shampoo and conditioner and the absolute best hair straighteners on the market. Anything that wasn't GHD's or as powerful as GHD's was trouble!
  •  

Nicolette

My natural hair makes up one huge chunk of my female identity. I have a female hairline and I want to show that off as much as I can. And I love styling my hair in the morning. I experimented with a wig at the start of my transition. Sorry, but it made me feel fake and made me sweat. As soon as I got my hair professionally styled, I gave the wig to my boyfriend.. My real hair is my freedom, femininity, confidence and beauty.
  •  

Just Ole Me

Yes the heat.  And I live in the South!  If I ever do wigs again, ill have to move to Alaska or the North Pole!  There a wig would be a plus to me.

My 2 cents

Kay
Just trying to find comfort in this "shell" that doesn't fit.  But I am "remodeling" the shell finally!
  •  

Nicolette

Quote from: Dreams2014 on July 28, 2013, 04:03:07 PM
I have an afro and my god when I used to manage it it needed the strongest anti-fizz shampoo and conditioner and the absolute best hair straighteners on the market. Anything that wasn't GHD's or as powerful as GHD's was trouble!

And then humidity and rain will make it curl right back up, which was the case with a black girlfriend. Ever thought about hair extensions?
  •  

Dreams2014

Quote from: Nicolette on July 28, 2013, 04:15:03 PM
And then humidity and rain will make it curl right back up, which was the case with a black girlfriend. Ever thought about hair extensions?

Yeah I went on holiday to Florida a few years back. Suffice it to say hours of hair styling was wasted as soon as I left the hotel lol!

Funnily enough it was my sisters hair extensions that made gave me the idea that if half her hair is going to be extensions, why not just wear a wig and be done with it?

I imagine that I'll just get back into the habit of styling it again when I start the transition. I'd like to see what my hair looks like when I'm juiced up on E ;) (for the record I do mean the hormone, not the drugs!)
  •  

vegie271

My electrologist wanted me to get extensions and stuff, I just can't be bothered with all the trouble , it gets to 110 here, plus all the work in the morning to put it in and the money to buy it, I can hardly afford food each month  :( I just work with  what I have and be done with it.

•  

MadeleineG

I'm probably doomed to a wig as I'm seriously receding. I've looked into transplant options, but they seem hellishly expensive--that and I'm not sure I have enough to transplant. :(<--[sad, bald smiley girl]

Maddy
  •  

Nicolette

Quote from: Dreams2014 on July 28, 2013, 04:19:43 PM
Yeah I went on holiday to Florida a few years back. Suffice it to say hours of hair styling was wasted as soon as I left the hotel lol!

Funnily enough it was my sisters hair extensions that made gave me the idea that if half her hair is going to be extensions, why not just wear a wig and be done with it?

I imagine that I'll just get back into the habit of styling it again when I start the transition. I'd like to see what my hair looks like when I'm juiced up on E ;) (for the record I do mean the hormone, not the drugs!)

Just remembered my own experience with hair extensions. These were the ones glued into your own hair. They are high maintenance and you need them serviced often, otherwise the glue starts showing. I started hating them really quickly and was very relieved when I had them removed.
  •  

Dreams2014

Quote from: Nicolette on July 28, 2013, 04:43:42 PM
Just remembered my own experience with hair extensions. These were the ones glued into your own hair. They are high maintenance and you need them serviced often, otherwise the glue starts showing. I started hating them really quickly and was very relieved when I had them removed.

That sounds awful. For me it would have to be all natural or all artificial. If heat weren't an issue with wigs then I'd probably just shave my head and wear them instead.
  •  

Misato

I've got extensions now, glued in ones.  Not particularly high maintenance, save for the six or seven hours in the chair every eight weeks to manage the bonds.  That includes the dye job to match my hair to the extensions.

My problem is the expense.  I got them when I had money and I'm stuck with that afforementioned upkeep now.  I'll be so glad when my own hair is long enough...  But without them, I'd be back to a wig cause my long hair is my security blanket.

I guess how willing I am to keep finding the funds is a testament to how much I can't stand wigs.
  •  

BunnyBee

You can come up with a low maintenance regimen for your hair if you don't want to take forever on it.  I think playing with hairstyles is a lot of fun though, maybe try to find some enjoyment in it?  I know that isn't for everybody, but regarding wigs being an answer, I am pretty sure good, expensive wigs take just as much work, if not more, than real hair to look good, and those are the only ones that won't look "wiggy." 
  •