Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

DC Universe or Marvel?

Started by SaveMeJeebus, July 28, 2013, 05:26:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oh hai!

Marvel easily and forever. I had all my first questions about gender with Marvel:

Elektra
Black Widow
Storm
Mystique
She-Hulk
Scarlet Witch
Rogue
Jean Grey
Emma Frost
A bunch more...

Whereas DC has:

Wonder Woman
Harley Quinn
Umm, Catwoman I guess (Now I'm stretching)...
  •  

Emmaline

Just bought batgirl #19- first DC transgender character comes out.

Now back to marvel...
Body... meet brain.  Now follow her lead and there will be no more trouble, you dig?

•  

Ms Grace

I have that issue...have to admit I found it hard to believe the great Batgirl detective was unable to tell her roomie of several months was trans*! That lady really knows how to pass apparently! Sadly there hasn't been mention of it since, and that character has now pretty much dropped off the batdar! :-\
Grace
----------------------------------------------
Transition 1.0 (Julie): HRT 1989-91
Self-denial: 1991-2013
Transition 2.0 (Grace): HRT June 24 2013
Full-time: March 24, 2014 :D
  •  

KatVonDoom

I'm pretty solidly a Marvel girl, though my absolute two favorite comics are Batman and the Invisibles, so I have to have some love for DC, especially the Vertigo imprint. Sigh...the saddest casualty of the new 52 :,(

TheQuestion

I've read and own a pretty gross amount of comics and graphic novels.  I also own all episodes of X-Men TAS, Batman TAS, Batman Beyond, Superman TAS, Justice League, and Justice League Unlimited (Spiderman TAS and Hulk better be released soon, or I'll probably have an aneurism).  I have a huge collection of Marvel Legends and DC Universe Classic figures too + pretty much every superhero movie ever made.  I like Spawn and TMNT as well, so I'm an OK judge, and I'd say Marvel.  You really can't totally ignore DC though, lot of great characters and stories.
  •  

Shodan

I was just talking about this  with somebody the other day, and I realized that all my favorite titles from DC (save for GL) exclusively come from their Vertigo line. The line where DC basically took the lid off and said, 'Okay folks, have a field day!' These titles generally tended to be more visceral, more empathetic, more down to earth than the main DC line. There was mythology to them, and that's something that Marvel has always done well. No matter what, Marvel comics felt like they all belonged in the same universe, had history with each other, and generally did a superior job of worldbuilding. Vertigo, especially with the Sadman, Hellblazer, and Swamp Thing titles managed to capture that as well. 

•  

dalebert

Quote from: Shodan on May 22, 2014, 07:00:50 PM
No matter what, Marvel comics felt like they all belonged in the same universe, had history with each other, and generally did a superior job of worldbuilding.

Tend to agree and I like Marvel best myself, but this video pointed out something that I hadn't thought about recently--how there are plenty of people with superpowers that are beloved by the general community (ex: Spider-man) but for some reason mutants are almost universally feared and hated.

Quote from: Shodan on May 22, 2014, 07:00:50 PM
Vertigo, especially with the Sadman, Hellblazer, and Swamp Thing titles managed to capture that as well.

Those are the best! I was a huge fan of Sandman. It's one of the few comics that I actually aggressively followed for a while.

LJP

I like both, but Marvel is my fav. Longtime Xmen fangirl here.
Be the change you wish to see in the world
  •  

Shodan

Quote from: dalebert on May 22, 2014, 07:10:56 PM
Tend to agree and I like Marvel best myself, but this video pointed out something that I hadn't thought about recently--how there are plenty of people with superpowers that are beloved by the general community (ex: Spider-man) but for some reason mutants are almost universally feared and hated.

Well, keep in mind that a) X-Men was an allegory for the LGBT crowd in the 70s, and b) Spider-Man was not beloved by the general community. He had to work long and hard to get his reputation up to where it is today. Of course having the Marvel version of Rupert Murdoch trying to tank his reputation didn't help at all either. About the only hero that Marvel had that was nearly universally loved was Captain America. And even then, he had his days.

Also, this: http://observationdeck.io9.com/mcu-vs-dccu-i-finally-understand-the-difference-1571528900 is a good article that enumerates probably the primary differences between the two (Again, I'm talking strictly the main, non-Vertigo lines): Empathy.

•  

dalebert

Maybe this is the appropriate thread. I just saw Days of Future Past and it would be hard for me to exaggerate just how good this movie is. My only beef is not enough Quicksilver. My favorite scene involved him. But it's not like there weren't plenty of great scenes throughout the rest of the movie so that's not much of a criticism.

TheQuestion

Quote from: dalebert on May 23, 2014, 11:35:34 AM
Maybe this is the appropriate thread. I just saw Days of Future Past and it would be hard for me to exaggerate just how good this movie is. My only beef is not enough Quicksilver. My favorite scene involved him. But it's not like there weren't plenty of great scenes throughout the rest of the movie so that's not much of a criticism.

Yeah, your totally right, really great movie. X-Men is easily my favorite comic franchise and I'd say DOFP was easily the best flick, not just for X-Men, but of all the Marvel movies. I can't wait for X-Men: Apocalypse and I'm really pulling for an X-Force movie as well; Cable is one of my favorites.
  •  

chrissydr

Honestly, we just need a proper Deadpool movie.
I dunno... I was normal, throughout my life, until I turned 4 and realised that I shouldn't be called a he.
  •  

dalebert

Quote from: chrissydr on May 24, 2014, 05:44:52 PM

But he was in that Wolverine movie! </sarcasm>

TheQuestion

Quote from: chrissydr on May 24, 2014, 05:44:52 PM

I'd take Cable over Deadpool, but yeah, he needs a good flick. I also wanna see a Dr. Strange movie...
  •  

Shodan

Quote from: TheQuestion on May 24, 2014, 07:40:55 PM
I'd take Cable over Deadpool, but yeah, he needs a good flick. I also wanna see a Dr. Strange movie...

I still froth at the mouth over Cable and how he contributed to the fall of the New Mutants.

It really is because of Liefeld. He turned my favorite comic book into "IT'S GARY STU TIME!!!!"  While I understand that the character has evolved beyond Rob's self-insertion wish fulfillment there's just too much bad blood for me to ever like the character.

•  

HoneyStrums

Why Choose one or the other?

Iron man and Batman I love.
Just like the I got no powers but. I can buy can use science money and brains to do the same.

I think its more about the type of character then the company.
eg if i ever go to comicon

its going to be as Cat woman of The black Cat because of the same reasons. love them for the outfits and the sassy flirtatious charater.
  •  

chrissydr

Deadpool and Cable would make an awesome buddy type of movie. Pinky and the Brain style.
I dunno... I was normal, throughout my life, until I turned 4 and realised that I shouldn't be called a he.
  •  

GCGins

So first real post here! DC universe all the way! Marvel is good, but just not as amazing. lol

I love the FLash, he is amazing and my number one idol that I would dress as when I do my first Cosplay. I am not a TG but I would also love to dress as Wonder Woman I would feel so sexy! Tehe I have never admitted I want to dress as a girl.

I would love to see Flash battle Quicksilver.
  •  

Felix

Image or Dark Horse. Or DC, if I have to follow the rules. Some of the Vertigo stuff is amazing.
everybody's house is haunted
  •  

Eevee

I like most things from Marvel, but DC often bothers me with their stories and characters. I guess Alan Moore's stories (like Watchmen and V For Vendetta) were DC, so not everything there is bad. I also love Batman villains (Harley and Mista J!).

Eevee

Because its genetic makeup is irregular, it quickly changes its form due to a variety of causes.

•