Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Video Games You Regret Purchasing

Started by King Malachite, July 29, 2013, 07:48:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Riot Wild

Can i regret an entire console? The Wii.. I played it for the first month or so then got bored with it because I couldn't afford the games for it. I played Wii Sports a LOT
"It is in darkness that the stars shine brightest."
  •  

padawanloser

Unreal Tournament 3 for Xbox360

I'd played the first 2 on PC when I was a kid so when I saw the 3rd was like $7 at gamestop I had to get it... it's sooo baddd  :laugh:
I won't suffer, be broken, get tired, or wasted
Surrender to nothing, or give up what I
Started and stopped it, from end to beginning
A new day is coming, and I am finally free
  •  

Alice Rogers

Quote from: Annabella on July 15, 2014, 01:32:00 PM
Played Enemy Unknown yet? I thought it was a fantastic reboot, though I missed the ability to actually game the economy by building products for sale :)

Yes, Eneny Unknown was really good too. Graphics were certainly fancy but Xenonauts for me was the better game. Complex and in depth like the original.
"I would rather be ashes than dust!
I would rather that my spark should burn out in a brilliant blaze than it should be stifled by dry-rot.
I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet.
The function of man is to live, not to exist.
I shall not waste my days trying to prolong them.
I shall use my time." Jack London
  •  

Kulti

The worst cases for me were like... Soul Calibur 5. I'm a fan of the series, that one just... i don't know.

Oh god and Final Fantasy 13. I played a bit of it and then looked up online to see if it got better - only to find that it railroads. until you're nearly done with it, then it gets better? But i didn't want to play half the game and then see it get slightly better. It was only $8, but i gave it back. I miiiight pick it up later, or just watch a lets play. lol
Make it work. - Tim Gunn

*My art blog*
  •  

Hannah Samira

Quote from: Riot Wild on July 21, 2014, 01:25:20 AM
Can i regret an entire console? The Wii.. I played it for the first month or so then got bored with it because I couldn't afford the games for it. I played Wii Sports a LOT

This is exactly how I feel!! I haven't touched mine in at least 2 years!! Such a waste ;)
Twitter: @HannahSamira14
Instagram: @hannah_samira14

:angel:
  •  

jamboe89

Quote from: Kulti on July 31, 2014, 11:56:46 AM
Oh god and Final Fantasy 13. I played a bit of it and then looked up online to see if it got better - only to find that it railroads. until you're nearly done with it, then it gets better? But i didn't want to play half the game and then see it get slightly better. It was only $8, but i gave it back. I miiiight pick it up later, or just watch a lets play. lol
I've not played this, the last Final Fantasy I played was 12, but the soundtrack to FF13 is so good. Makes me want to play it just to hear it as it was meant to be heard, but not as eager now with what you say, I think I'd probably be content with just appreciating the soundtrack standalone. I'm terrible at video games now, I used to be really good at Final Fantasy, but I don't play as many games these days...definitely looking to get into it more.

From FFXIII:

•  

Lonicera

I try to purchase my games are doing research but often get a wee bit overexcited about things and end up buying too impulsively.

Sim City: Except for graphical complexity, I'd suggest Sim City 4 is actually outright better and has a plethora of fantastic modification options for cities. Conversely, the most recent incarnation is bland and full of flaws to me, from the poor traffic system to the teeny tiny size of cities constantly restricting creativity.

Final Fantasy X and X-2: I just really dislike these games and can't really explain it. I found VI, VII, VIII, and IX enchanting experiences that made me cry or squee many times. I had none of that with X or X-2, perhaps it's because the story involvement of Tetsuya Nomura was reduced? I don't know but they felt flat, tacky, and tawdry. This is coming from somebody that actually liked the themes present in Final Fantasy XIII despite the appalling linearity and grating characters.

Star Wars: The Old Republic Collector's Edition: While I enjoyed the first few months and actually really adored the lore provided as part of the edition, I may have been a teeny tiny bit overzealous by getting the Collector's Edition in the first place given the unknown longevity of the game at the time. There are only so many games of Hutt Ball and endless yanking of people across stadiums a healer Sith Sorceress can take before snapping.
"In the middle of the journey of our life, I came to myself in a dark wood, where the straight way was lost. It is a hard thing to speak of, how wild, harsh and impenetrable that wood was, so that thinking of it recreates the fear. It is scarcely less bitter than death: but, in order to tell of the good that I found there, I must tell of the other things I saw there." - Dante Alighieri
  •  

xponentialshift

Quote from: jamboe89 on July 31, 2014, 06:29:33 PM
I've not played this, the last Final Fantasy I played was 12, but the soundtrack to FF13 is so good. Makes me want to play it just to hear it as it was meant to be heard, but not as eager now with what you say, I think I'd probably be content with just appreciating the soundtrack standalone. I'm terrible at video games now, I used to be really good at Final Fantasy, but I don't play as many games these days...definitely looking to get into it more.

From FFXIII:

I actually really enjoyed FF13. I just played it this year for the first time. (I beat it in about 2 weeks, then beat 13-2 in another 2 weeks)
As long as you understand that there really isn't anything wrong with a linear RPG then its great. Surprsingly well paced/ good difficulty etc. Plus the linearity makes you focus on game mechanics and plot, (rather than aimlessly exploring) and it gives an excellent sense of scale because there is no over world distance distortion.
Just pay attention to the plot. So many reviewers day it has hole/doesn't make sense, but that's just because they didn't pay attention.

Back on topic:
I regret purchasing the War Z (the fake Day Z with false advertising on steam). I also regret buying Rift. It just wasn't revolutionary enough to draw me in as an mmo.
  •  

Illuminess

Hmm.. maybe Tiger Woods PGA Tour '13. I had a phase where I enjoyed video game golf, but I only played it once. It just sits there now.
△ ☾ Rıνεя Aяıп Lαυяıε ☽ △

"Despair holds a sweetness that only an artist's tongue can taste."Illuminess
  •  

GenTechJ

I hate to say it, but the one game I regret purchasing the most was also the only game I went to a midnight release for. Diablo 3 on PC.

That being said, I'm very glad I bought it for Xbox a month ago. Every problem I had with the PC version is absent from the console version. I have the Ultimate Evil Edition on pre-order.

Other regrettable purchases: Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe (I only have it still due to the fact it came with the Mortal Kombat movie), Grand Theft Auto V, a PSN version of a Harvest Moon game for PS2 which stripped away everything I like about Harvest Moon, Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance, Conker: Reloaded, Kingdoms of Amalur.
"Keep your head down, and inch towards daylight" - Blade of Tyshalle, Matthew Woodring Stover
  •  

Hikari

I kinda regret buying Dark Souls II....I like high difficulty, but the way multiplayer works is really annoying. I liked putting games on the hardest difficulty and beating them with my friends, but in Dark Souls II the coop features are hard to use and very limited which is just frustrating.
私は女の子 です!My Blog - Hikari's Transition Log http://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/board,377.0.html
  •  

Jera

Wow, there sure is a lot of FFXIII hate in here. I don't know why, that one was actually pretty good.

Today, I am going to have to add "Anything bought used from amazon or ebay." Every. Single. One. Every once in a while I tell myself that it's so cheap, it's a deal! This one will work for sure. I never learn. :(
  •  

Jaime R D

The star trek one for my ti99 4/a.  Never could get into it, pretty much ended my interest in video games altogether...
  •  

Valleyrie

Homefront. The game was cool and all but the multiplayer sucked. Too many hackers, the servers were quite unstable and I'm pretty sure they eventually shut down a while ago.
  •  

Christy

Games I regret purchasing...

Almost anything that was on the Sega CD. Sewer Shark was the worst and now they want to remake Night Trap! What?

Jade Empire (Steam version) if you have Windows 7 or 8 don't bother buying it. The game is great but getting it to work is nearly impossible. The Steam Forums are filled with nasty comments about this but Steam won't let you view that part of the forum until after you purchase the game. There should be a law against that. At least now the reviews are on the main page so they give you a heads up.

•  

Matthew

Far Cry 3 sucked, couldn't get into the story and gameplay sucked.

Also any Resident Evil. Too frustrating, not enough checkpoints. Infuriating
  •  

Skyler

Space Engineers and PAYDAY2 Both get really old about after 1 week. Not much to do with little to no expanding. Also not worth the money spent especially PayDay2 -_-
  •  

Jaime006

I picked up a few games during the Steam summer sale that looked interesting. All ended up boring me so they were a complete waste of money. Banished, The Banner Saga, and Endless Space. Oh well, at least they were on sale...
  •  

Avianna

I'm rather fond of FF 13 myself tbh
  •  

Jera

Quote from: Christy on August 19, 2014, 08:50:05 PM
Almost anything that was on the Sega CD. Sewer Shark was the worst and now they want to remake Night Trap! What?

I almost agree with this. Except Lunar was on the Sega CD, and that was only terrible because the Sega CD was terrible. On the PSX, Lunar is one of the best games ever. :D
  •