Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Video Games You Regret Purchasing

Started by King Malachite, July 29, 2013, 07:48:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magnus

Sims 3 and basically anything EA Games. There was a period of over six months that it was completely unplayable. Why? Patching. They always rush the release (word also has it they've taken to rotating out development teams which creates a plethora of problems by itself right there) and so it is bugged to absolute hell and then they turn around and drag their feet for months (or, more often now, never) getting around to fixing the problems. And then far too often, what they fix results in new problems and the cycle repeats itself. I'll never touch an EA Game title again. I never get what I think I'm paying for. I haven't touched Sims 3 in three years (only really liked building the houses though so not a great loss. Sims 2 is better for that actually).

Unfortunately this is becoming true of Bethesda Games as well. I love Skyrim but I shouldn't have to resort to the Console Command (PC only) to skip broken quests that have been that way since version 1.0 (yup, even patched to 1.9.32.0.8 and even though its claimed they're fixed, they aren't). They announced they've abandoned it and true to their word they did and they've left too many loose ends in the wake of that decision (particularly considering how much it cost). I still have to skip everything (in the main quest no less) involving Esbern or that damned Vaermia's Torpor that completely makes saving impossible (I mean HOW do you overlook that?). So I also regret, to a degree, Skyrim even though it's my favorite second to Oblivion... third to Fallout 3.

So really, it's the lousy or non-existent technical support post release that ruins games for me in one way or another. I suppose it could be worse. I could be a powerless console platform player without even option to "cheat" a fix. :P

Oh you know what, I just remembered Fallout: New Vegas. That one wouldn't even install. Haven't been bothered enough to try 'tweaking' it too either.

•  

Alex

Dead Space 2 and Uncharted 3.

I don't even play my PS3 anymore since I bought Minecraft. It's the only game I've been playing. Dead Space was cool but hard to get used to the controls, and Uncharted... I LOVE the Uncharted series. But I just don't have the time to get into the story. Maybe one day I wont regret buying it. I wish I could trade Dead Space to someone for Fallout: New Vegas or Oblivion but I don't know anybody around here since I recently moved. Well... My cousins are gamers actually, but I think they have XBOX 360's.
  •  

Sephirah

Quote from: Magnus on September 22, 2013, 10:14:20 PM
Sims 3 and basically anything EA Games. There was a period of over six months that it was completely unplayable. Why? Patching. They always rush the release (word also has it they've taken to rotating out development teams which creates a plethora of problems by itself right there) and so it is bugged to absolute hell and then they turn around and drag their feet for months (or, more often now, never) getting around to fixing the problems. And then far too often, what they fix results in new problems and the cycle repeats itself. I'll never touch an EA Game title again. I never get what I think I'm paying for. I haven't touched Sims 3 in three years (only really liked building the houses though so not a great loss. Sims 2 is better for that actually).

Unfortunately this is becoming true of Bethesda Games as well. I love Skyrim but I shouldn't have to resort to the Console Command (PC only) to skip broken quests that have been that way since version 1.0 (yup, even patched to 1.9.32.0.8 and even though its claimed they're fixed, they aren't). They announced they've abandoned it and true to their word they did and they've left too many loose ends in the wake of that decision (particularly considering how much it cost). I still have to skip everything (in the main quest no less) involving Esbern or that damned Vaermia's Torpor that completely makes saving impossible (I mean HOW do you overlook that?). So I also regret, to a degree, Skyrim even though it's my favorite second to Oblivion... third to Fallout 3.

So really, it's the lousy or non-existent technical support post release that ruins games for me in one way or another. I suppose it could be worse. I could be a powerless console platform player without even option to "cheat" a fix. :P

Oh you know what, I just remembered Fallout: New Vegas. That one wouldn't even install. Haven't been bothered enough to try 'tweaking' it too either.

The thing about Bethesda is, I'm starting to think, that they know people will mod their PC versions of the games and fix most of what's wrong with them. Like the Unofficial Skyrim Patch. That fixes many of the issues that Bethesda haven't.

I wouldn't advise getting them on consoles since you pretty much have to get what you're given and like it.
Natura nihil frustra facit.
  •  

Felix

Megaman Soccer is the only game I can remember really regretting paying money for. I got a discount because a relative worked at the store, but my gosh that was an awful game. I don't know what they were thinking, or what I was thinking.  :laugh:
everybody's house is haunted
  •  

Magnus

Quote from: Sephirah on September 24, 2013, 10:03:34 PM
The thing about Bethesda is, I'm starting to think, that they know people will mod their PC versions of the games and fix most of what's wrong with them. Like the Unofficial Skyrim Patch. That fixes many of the issues that Bethesda haven't.

I wouldn't advise getting them on consoles since you pretty much have to get what you're given and like it.
Yup, I noticed that a while ago and have been considering it. It sure would be nice to not have to miss out on the stuff I've been having to skip.

Yeah, but then the trouble is with the PC's... they're pushing the envelope further than they should and too rapidly. It's going to be impossible to keep up with the increasing hardware demands soon if they don't take a step back and pace it out a little. I mean we're far from the days of a $500 rig handling the latest stuff. Now its like $1,500 or more in a rig starting out. It's sick. And those are just the self-build estimates. :icon_blah:

•  

Sephirah

Quote from: Magnus on September 25, 2013, 08:54:08 AM
Yup, I noticed that a while ago and have been considering it. It sure would be nice to not have to miss out on the stuff I've been having to skip.

Yeah, but then the trouble is with the PC's... they're pushing the envelope further than they should and too rapidly. It's going to be impossible to keep up with the increasing hardware demands soon if they don't take a step back and pace it out a little. I mean we're far from the days of a $500 rig handling the latest stuff. Now its like $1,500 or more in a rig starting out. It's sick. And those are just the self-build estimates. :icon_blah:

Often more than that. My laptop is a pure, custom-built gaming rig and cost probably double that. 32 gig ram, 2 Nvidia GTX 680 graphics cards running in SLI, i7 processor overclocked to 3.6 gHz, 2 SSD drives totalling about a terabyte... and most games it doesn't even twitch while running. But I would say a lot of games can be run on a decent spec PC well enough and my laptop is largely overkill.

I guess it's give and take. The PC gaming scene can often be more robust though. Personally, my Bethesda games are probably 3-4 times larger in terms of content and probably a hundred times better in terms of graphics, just through mods that you don't have to pay for and can add amazing longetivity to games. There are a few DLC expansion sized mods for Skyrim alone, like Falskaar, which add a whole lot to the experience for no cost. With more coming out all the time.

Take a look at this. This is the sort of thing which is possible on a mid to high end PC:

•  

Magnus

^ Wow. My T6600/HD 4570/4GB DDR2 has absolutely nothing on that. I'm thankful I can play Skyrim at all on it (but have to give it its cool off often enough or I'll risk melting something. I'm impressed its held out this long being a OEM and notebook). Served me well so far but I can definitely sense its time to retire it to the new backup and then give the Dell Dimension 3000 a honorable discharge.

My plan is to go at least AMD FX-8320, EVGA GTX650Ti Boost 2GB GDDR5, 8-16GB DDR3 and ASUS M5A99X EVO R2.0 plus the rest (especially including a Noctua NH-D14 as cooling has been the major problem on all my systems here where it can get up to 112F ambient and higher) but that precise build would be about $900-1,200 depending on where the parts jump or fall and before taxes & S/H. Still far too steep for me. Been wanting a self-built since 2006 just never could really afford it yet. Someday soon I hope and before the socket types changes and the price racketing starts all over again lmfao. I will never go OEM or mobile again personally. Desktops are still king unless the mobiles are custom (you certainly do have a beauty there). And in the same vein, there's no way I'll ever be able to afford or justify an Intel again. These here will be my last until they stop inhaling the wacky backy. $300+ for mid-range chips now... nope, can't go there. AMD is juuuuuuuuuust fine by me (that FX really isn't that much worse in many ways, would still be a massive improvement from what I'm on and give me a good amount of time before upgrades which is what I planned the build around for a budget).

•  

~RoadToTrista~

The Xbox version of Fallout: New Vegas.

Bad! *slaps self* Once again, should've went PC. -.-"
  •  

Sephirah

It's never too late, lol. Steam has the Ultimate Edition with all the DLC for a reasonable price. :)

Magnus, I hope you do manage to get something you're happy with. To be frank, I was a console gamer most of my gaming life, but after seeing some of the things you can get to expand your games on a PC, it's a whole new world. I actually spend more time modding the games than playing them, lol.
  •  

Dreams2014

I find it hard to play console games, I admit. No mods. Strips away hours of quality entertainment!
Farewell to my friends, farewell to the life I knew. I burn what once was, and in the ashes I am born anew.
  •  

~RoadToTrista~

Quote from: Dreams2014 on September 26, 2013, 06:07:12 AM
I find it hard to play console games, I admit. No mods. Strips away hours of quality entertainment!

I feel it depends on the game. Some games I just have little or no interest in modding. My computer isn't especially powerful even though I've put in a few upgrades and I don't have that weird box thing that lets you put your PC on a TV screen, so it's nice for me to just buy the console version and sit back with it.

And some games should never be played without tons of mods. o.O Like Morrowind. ^.^
  •  

MaybeJake

BIOSHOCK and FALLOUT: NEW VEGAS!

Both scare the bejeezus outta me! In the former, it's so atmospherically creepy, I can't play it alone or even with someone else in the room. The latter, well, I keep getting eaten by mutated rats near the beginning of the game. And that freaks me out so much I can't play anymore.

I'm much more of a Lego-fill in the blank sort of guy. And Little Big Planet. And games built around a mystery, like a whodunit. For serious. Can't deal with scary, violent games. They stress me out too much and my nerves can't take it. They're shot . Like I've got Vietnam-style PTSD . . . instead of just whatever kind of PTSD I've got.

"Hooray for most things!"--George Carlin

https://sites.google.com/site/thewritingsofrebailey/

•  

~RoadToTrista~

Quote from: MaybeJake on September 26, 2013, 06:34:37 AM

I keep getting eaten by mutated rats near the beginning of the game. And that freaks me out so much I can't play anymore.

That's why you're suppose to play catchy 1940's music on your little ingame radio at all times. :D It makes everything less scary. ^.^
  •  

Danielle Emmalee

Quote from: ~RoadToTrista~ on September 26, 2013, 06:41:35 AM
That's why you're suppose to play catchy 1940's music on your little ingame radio at all times. :D It makes everything less scary. ^.^

I like the music from Fallout 3 better.

I don't think I've ever regretted buying a game....ever
Discord, I'm howlin' at the moon
And sleepin' in the middle of a summer afternoon
Discord, whatever did we do
To make you take our world away?

Discord, are we your prey alone,
Or are we just a stepping stone for taking back the throne?
Discord, we won't take it anymore
So take your tyranny away!
  •  

~RoadToTrista~

Quote from: ثنائية بين الجنسين on September 26, 2013, 06:51:22 AM
I like the music from Fallout 3 better.

I do too, this one's my favorite. ^.^

But this one's my favorite from Fallout: New Vegas. ^.^

•  

geek

RIFT + SWOTR - I should have just stuck with what I knew, live and learn!

•  

ambiguousinlife

The Bouncer on the ps2
The latest SimCity, played it only once and never again... the city plots are much smaller than the older games.
  •  

Kristal

Quote from: Magnus on September 22, 2013, 10:14:20 PM

They never fixed the broken stuff because someone released an unofficial patch for it. They just said, "Eh, frell it" and went on. So there are fixes, just not ones from Bethesda. It's stupid, but there you go.

Don't even get me started on EA. They've ruined every franchise they've ever gotten ahold of.
I'm not here to decorate your world.
  •  

Apples Mk.II

Nearly everything, but just centering in the worst offenders...

Arkham City, Neverdead,  Bionic Commando & Rearmed, Grand Theft Auto IV, Vice City, Lucidity...

And lots of them... Lots. This is what I had in my "hated" category in Steam.
  •  

Lauren5

I regret pretty much every one. Except Nightfire, MGS2, MGS3, Fallout 3, and the Mass Effect series.
Hey, you've reached Lauren's signature! If you have any questions, want to talk, or just need a shoulder to cry on, leave me a message, and I'll get back to you.
*beep*

Full time: 12/12/13
Started hormones: 26/3/14
FFS: No clue, winter/spring 2014/15 maybe?
SRS: winter/spring 2014/15?
  •