Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Video Games You Regret Purchasing

Started by King Malachite, July 29, 2013, 07:48:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

King Malachite

Metal Gear Solid Sons of Liberty-  I never finished it because I'm bad at stealth

I regret buying my Metal Gear Solid collector's edition PSP-what a waste of money
Feel the need to ask me something or just want to check out my blog?  Then click below:

http://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,135882.0.html

"Sometimes you have to go through outer hell to get to inner heaven."

"Anomalies can make the best revolutionaries."
  •  

Dreams2014

I regret buying The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion.

Patrick Stewart plays the King, and he dies in the intro. After that I couldn't forgive Bethesda, so I sold it.
Farewell to my friends, farewell to the life I knew. I burn what once was, and in the ashes I am born anew.
  •  

Jayne

I seriously regret buying War of the Worlds from Xbox arcade.
I'm obsessed with WotW, I read the book several times a year, I watch the films frequently, I saw WotW the musical live on stage at Cardiff & watch the DVD every couple of weeks.

The game is voiced by Patrick Stewart & he narrates brilliantly unfortunately you need to memorize every section & in some cases you need to be pixel perfect in your timing & checkpoints are too far apart, if you mess up you die & have to go back & listen to Patricks narration over & over again until you become sick of the sound of his voice! Any game that can make you hate hearing Patricks voice has seriously screwed up!!
After attempting the same section for the umpteenth time you start to feel like this  :icon_userfriendly:
  •  

Amelia Pond

I regret ever paying for World of Warcraft.

I regret ever paying for DC Universe Online. I foolishly bought a lifetime subscription when the game came out so I feel obligated to play it sometimes.

I regret ever paying for Star Wars: The Old Republic, it was fun and it's Star Wars but it gets old/repetitive fast.

I regret buying Reus during the last Steam sale, though I do enjoy causing earthquakes in villages.  >:-)

Amy
  •  

Dreams2014

Quote from: Jayne on August 12, 2013, 10:18:36 AM
I seriously regret buying War of the Worlds from Xbox arcade.
I'm obsessed with WotW, I read the book several times a year, I watch the films frequently, I saw WotW the musical live on stage at Cardiff & watch the DVD every couple of weeks.

The game is voiced by Patrick Stewart & he narrates brilliantly unfortunately you need to memorize every section & in some cases you need to be pixel perfect in your timing & checkpoints are too far apart, if you mess up you die & have to go back & listen to Patricks narration over & over again until you become sick of the sound of his voice! Any game that can make you hate hearing Patricks voice has seriously screwed up!!
After attempting the same section for the umpteenth time you start to feel like this  :icon_userfriendly:

Did somebody say Patrick Stewart? <3

Farewell to my friends, farewell to the life I knew. I burn what once was, and in the ashes I am born anew.
  •  

Jayne

Quote from: Dreams2014 on August 12, 2013, 10:31:32 AM
Did somebody say Patrick Stewart? <3

I used to think I could listen to his voice all day, every day but after hearing the same line of narration for the umpteenth time just because I didn't jump at the right time or duck the heat ray I never want to return to this game!
Take my advice & just watch you tube videos of this game, I advise you that I really, really wanted to like/love this game but I hate it!!!
  •  

VeryGnawty

Silpheed: The Lost Planet
This game just feels too generic.  There is enough inspiration in the game to make it playable, but not enough to make it worthwhile.  Playing this game just makes me want to play better shooters (Gradius V)

Shining Force Neo
Fooled by the fact that it had "Shining Force" in the title, I bought this game expecting it to be engaging.  What I got was a classic Shining Force story buried under some of the most awful gameplay I've ever seen in an ARPG.  I didn't even WANT to give this game a fair chance, because the controls and skill system just felt so awkward.  Just like the Silpheed game, I was basically done with this game after the first level or two.

Metroid Prime
I got this game mostly so I could have Gamecube games other than Smash Brothers.  But, I really didn't like the transition of Metroid into 3D.  The controls felt too stiff to me.  It's just not the same as the old games.  I shelved this game because I didn't really feel like playing a 3D exploration game.  I have Tomb Raider for that...

Fire Emblem: Path Of Radiance
Another game that I got so I could have a Gamecube game other than Smash Brothers.  I never really ended up playing this game because it seemed pretty complicated, and I really didn't want to learn the in's and out's of another strategy game.  I've heard that the Fire Emblem series is pretty good.  But, it's really hard for me to play any turn-based strategy game without it immediately wanting to make me play Final Fantasy Tactics.  It's also really hard for me to play any real-time strategy game without it making me want to play Earth2150.  I basically stopped buying strategy games for that reason.  As soon as I got past the exposition and I got into the actual gameplay, my first thought was that I want to play Final Fantasy Tactics.  As it turns out, it's pretty hard to get me to play any turn-based strategy games without me immediately wanting to play Final Fantasy Tactics or Disgaea.
"The cake is a lie."
  •  

Tossu-sama

Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi
It's just... ugh. At first the idea of a 3D fighting game seemed cool with completely destructible environments and all but it just doesn't work.
And it's idiotic to make each form an individual playable character. Oh yeah, and the whole character development was horrible.
The only good thing was the original Japanese voices option and it was also kinda nice to see even the bit more rarely seen characters, too.

The things you buy when you're in a fandom...
  •  

King Malachite

Quote from: Tossu-sama on August 13, 2013, 09:53:50 PM
Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi
It's just... ugh. At first the idea of a 3D fighting game seemed cool with completely destructible environments and all but it just doesn't work.
And it's idiotic to make each form an individual playable character. Oh yeah, and the whole character development was horrible.
The only good thing was the original Japanese voices option and it was also kinda nice to see even the bit more rarely seen characters, too.

The things you buy when you're in a fandom...

The last two tenkaichi games were awesome but once I heard that I couldn't transform in Tenkaichi 1, I avoided it.
Feel the need to ask me something or just want to check out my blog?  Then click below:

•  

King Malachite

Quote from: Malachite on July 29, 2013, 07:48:53 PM

My latest regret is buying Fight Night Round 3 for $2.69.  I played that game for less than 5 minutes today and totally hated it.  I also brought Red Faction Armageddon today for $4.75 but I'm scared to play it in fear I'll hate it lol.

Got both of them sold today so I now I'm happy.  Red Faction was decent for the price I paid. 

•  

Emmaline

Awww... can we talk about Pahtrikk Shtoowart some more...

Back on topic though... I regret purchasing sims 2.  Not because its bad... because it sucked so many months of my life away.  I had a killer town I of sims though ;)
Body... meet brain.  Now follow her lead and there will be no more trouble, you dig?

•  

CalmRage

Quote from: Dreams2014 on August 12, 2013, 02:58:40 AM
I regret buying The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion.

Patrick Stewart plays the King, and he dies in the intro. After that I couldn't forgive Bethesda, so I sold it.
i hope you're joking. If not, you missed out on one of the greatest games ever!
  •  

~RoadToTrista~

Quote from: ZootAllures! on August 27, 2013, 02:01:47 PM
i hope you're joking. If not, you missed out on one of the greatest games ever!

Mmm I think I like the other two better. :3 (assuming all of them are modded), although Cyrodiil is the prettiest.
  •  

Horizon

The new Tomb Raider.  Though heartless, it was a solid, enjoyable product -- just nowhere near 45 dollars worth of it.
  •  

King Malachite

Quote from: Horizon on August 27, 2013, 04:45:12 PM
The new Tomb Raider.  Though heartless, it was a solid, enjoyable product -- just nowhere near 45 dollars worth of it.

How much would you say it's worth?  I watched the entire wlakthrough of that and I honestly don't think it's worth $45 either.  I'm thinking more $15-$20.

•  

Horizon

Quote from: Malachite on August 27, 2013, 04:47:53 PM
How much would you say it's worth?  I watched the entire wlakthrough of that and I honestly don't think it's worth $45 either.  I'm thinking more $15-$20.

Yeah, that's a pretty fair price range.  It's a fun little story to spend 12 hours on, but it has absolutely no replay value.  Unless you're OCD about collecting random trinkets.
  •  

ComplicatedMe

Duke Nukem Forever....just bad...so bad and barely got half the money back from it.

"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates
  •  

Kristal

Quote from: VeryGnawty on August 13, 2013, 04:30:04 AM
Metroid Prime
I got this game mostly so I could have Gamecube games other than Smash Brothers.  But, I really didn't like the transition of Metroid into 3D.  The controls felt too stiff to me.  It's just not the same as the old games.  I shelved this game because I didn't really feel like playing a 3D exploration game.  I have Tomb Raider for that...

You missed out on a really great game. I recommend picking up the Metroid Prime Trilogy for the Wii, it fixed the stiffness in the original controls, and pumped up the graphics a bit.

Quote from: VeryGnawty on August 13, 2013, 04:30:04 AM
Fire Emblem: Path Of Radiance
Another game that I got so I could have a Gamecube game other than Smash Brothers.  I never really ended up playing this game because it seemed pretty complicated, and I really didn't want to learn the in's and out's of another strategy game.  I've heard that the Fire Emblem series is pretty good.  But, it's really hard for me to play any turn-based strategy game without it immediately wanting to make me play Final Fantasy Tactics.  It's also really hard for me to play any real-time strategy game without it making me want to play Earth2150.  I basically stopped buying strategy games for that reason.  As soon as I got past the exposition and I got into the actual gameplay, my first thought was that I want to play Final Fantasy Tactics.  As it turns out, it's pretty hard to get me to play any turn-based strategy games without me immediately wanting to play Final Fantasy Tactics or Disgaea.

I think that may just be a case of first memory nostalgia. Playing Final Fantasy Tactics makes me want to play Fire Emblem, and playing RTS games makes me want to play Age of Empires.

Anyways, I regret purchasing Metroid: Other M and Duke Nukem Forever. They sold them with nostalgia, but it was ALL LIES. BLATANT, DAMNABLE LIES.
I'm not here to decorate your world.
  •  

Saria

Hmmm I don't recall spending money on a game I regretted afterwords. I don't spend my money on games unless I know I already like it. However a game, well whole series of games I'm glad I didn't buy is the CoD games... Lets face it people buy fps's now these days for the multiplayer. After playing a most pf the CoD's friend have had I have found that all they really do is recycles old maps and throw in maybe one new one and charge $60 for it each time. Plus I find the perk system total bs.... It just makes the hard to kill even harder to kill. That just seems unfair.
  •  

marikvulpina

this is hard because most games i regret are just so bland i can never remember them after the fact. but one does stand out in particular...

the original pokémon ranger game. I figured, "oh hey here's some gimmicky sidegame and i can get a manaphy cool" but no. the beginning was easy but boring, the very end probably would have been interesting in its difficulty, had it not been ruined for me by the SUDDEN out of nowhere spike in difficulty leading to the hardest capture in the game: that deity-forsaken STEELIX. I'm usually a really chill lady so I kind of scared my boyfriend with the sheer rage which resulted from that particular fight.

but i caught it. oh yes. i caught it. and after that fecal hurricane, the rest of the game was comparatively easy.

I EARNED that manaphy and it is being passed along to new games for as long as that capability exists. it is MINE.

I haven't played any of the other ranger games, although I've heard the controls and difficulty are much better later on in the series. i just can't get the taste of the first one out. I don't think i've been anywhere near that angry at a game before or since. I'm a little bitter about it.
  •