Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Susan's Book Club!!!

Started by Ltl89, August 11, 2013, 04:17:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vegie271

Quote from: Jamie D on August 13, 2013, 02:35:05 AM
I loved that book.  And the movie too.

Did you know that it was Harper Lee's only published book?  Amazing, huh?

well she helped Truman Capote research "In cold Blood" & this one was pretty much a true story of her life it was pretty much about her father defending the the two men he did. (she just re wrote it) & Dill is Truman.

•  

HelenW

I like the idea of a book club but finding consensus on what to read may be difficult with all the diverse people we seem to have.

Perhaps an objective list from some site, maybe from Gutenberg.com, or the list of Pulitzer Prize winners for literature could be used?  It may be easier to decide on a list than an individual title.

hugs & smiles
Emelye
FKA: Emelye

Pronouns: she/her

My rarely updated blog: http://emelyes-kitchen.blogspot.com

Southwestern New York trans support: http://www.southerntiertrans.org/
  •  

Constance

Quote from: Jamie D on August 11, 2013, 06:50:10 PM
I would like to nominate a book by an aspiring author:

Waking For Hours by Connie Anne McEntee
*blush* Thanks, Jamie.

Constance

Quote from: vegie271 on August 11, 2013, 07:18:57 PM

not available used yet

Yeah. I only published it last November and I don't think it's sold enough copies to be available used yet.

vegie271

Quote from: Constance on August 13, 2013, 08:49:17 PM
Yeah. I only published it last November and I don't think it's sold enough copies to be available used yet.

I am really seriously flat broke I have trouble eating at the end of the month - so it has to be a cheap book - sorry

•  

Constance

Quote from: vegie271 on August 13, 2013, 08:52:58 PM

I am really seriously flat broke I have trouble eating at the end of the month - so it has to be a cheap book - sorry

I seriously understand. I've been putting groceries on credit cards lately.

vegie271

Quote from: Constance on August 13, 2013, 09:03:39 PM
I seriously understand. I've been putting groceries on credit cards lately.

ow! I budget $100 for everything at the grocery store that is food soap all stuff at the end of the month if I am out of money I stop even if it means stop eating. there was a time in 1988 I ate for a whole month on $10 and one time in my life I went 3 months on no food just water.  A year and a half ago I was homeless. I only use my credit card for emergencies (I do have one and only one $500 limit)

•  

Constance

Things should ease up for me financially after September.

But back to the topic...

Ever since discovering LGBTQI YA fiction a few years ago, I can't get enough of that genre. It's easily surpassed science fiction (and I'm a huge Larry Niven fan) as my favorite genre. And, yes, that's the genre I write too.

vegie271

Quote from: Constance on August 13, 2013, 09:19:16 PM
Things should ease up for me financially after September.

But back to the topic...

Ever since discovering LGBTQI YA fiction a few years ago, I can't get enough of that genre. It's easily surpassed science fiction (and I'm a huge Larry Niven fan) as my favorite genre. And, yes, that's the genre I write too.

Is that not what I just listed? I did list four books that I have bought and several are in that category

•  

Constance

Quote from: vegie271 on August 13, 2013, 09:29:20 PM

Is that not what I just listed? I did list four books that I have bought and several are in that category

Yeah, I loved The Perks of Being a Wallflower. I haven't seen the movie, but the book was great.

vegie271

Quote from: Constance on August 13, 2013, 09:40:09 PM
Yeah, I loved The Perks of Being a Wallflower. I haven't seen the movie, but the book was great.

one of my favorite sayings - the book was better - I have not seen the movie either - have not read this one yet - but I read a lot and watch a lot of the movies for things

•  

Ltl89

I'm liking all the feedback.  We all seem to be very diverse and unique.  I love it!

I think Emelye raised a good point about us trying to find consensus.  We need a way to set up some structure for what gets selected and how we are going to share our thoughts on it.  I also think it makes sense for us to read things that are either in the public domain, available for free or easily obtainable through a library because books can be expensive and we have some here (including myself) who are struggling financially.  So, anyone else have any feedback on how we should set this up?  I want this to be a collaborative thing, so I want everyone to have equal input.  I'm open to reading anything, so suggest whatever your heart contents.

P.S.  Connie, congrats on getting published!  I will have to check it out. :)

•  

vegie271

well once we read it - one chapter at a time - we get together in chat to talk about it - rather than discuss it in forum - that would be waaaayyy tedious

•  

Constance

Quote from: learningtolive on August 15, 2013, 01:44:44 AM
P.S.  Connie, congrats on getting published!  I will have to check it out. :)
Thanks!  :)

HelenW

I can set up a separate channel for the book club if we use the chat rooms to discuss what we've read.

•  

Ltl89

Quote from: Emelye on August 15, 2013, 12:06:27 PM
I can set up a separate channel for the book club if we use the chat rooms to discuss what we've read.

That may be a good idea. 
  •  

vegie271

Quote from: Emelye on August 15, 2013, 12:06:27 PM

I have never used that chat - I have a new computer & it is using windows 8 - when I try it i get this error & a message & a warning & stuff about loading stuff & my have no support or anything for it came with no support it has a 2 year hardware support warrenty but they want $200 for software support I will throw it against the wall  before I do that

•  

HelenW

The Java client will generate that warning.  It's not the on;y way to access the chat rooms, however.  You can use a dedicated IRC client program like IceChat or mIRC.  FireFox has a free chat client add-on called "Chatzilla" that works quite nicely.  To set it up, use the flollowing information:

Quote[12:14] <@TGBot> This chat is IRC based...
[12:14] <@TGBot> Server: irc.susans.org
[12:14] <@TGBot> Port(s): 6666,6667,6668,7177, or 7575
[12:14] <@TGBot> Channel(s): #Chat, #TSTalk, #SOTalk, #CDTalk, #FTMTalk, #ISTalk, #Androgyne, #Sandbox or #Help

The busiest channel is the main one, #chat.  People often go to the other channels, particularly #TSTalk, if #chat is not to their liking (too busy, or a subject that is triggering).  Just like the rest of the site, anyone is welcome as long as they follow our TOS.

hugs & smiles,
Emelye

•