Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Susan's Book Club!!!

Started by Ltl89, August 11, 2013, 04:17:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ltl89

You know, it just occurred to me, we should have a Susan's book club! I'm sure there are a lot of fellow book nerds on the board, and it would be a cool way to share our thoughts on different subjects.  Personally, I think it would be better served to make it open to different topics and genres instead of just trans issues.  The only thing is that it will be complex for us to choose a book and to agree on reading material.   Next on my list is St Augustine's "City of God". but I doubt many here would want to jump into that; therefore,  I'm not quite sure how we should structure it or how we should select the reading material.  Despite my lack of planning here, I think it would be interesting to share our unique take on various books.  I don't know.  Anyone interested in something like this?  Or is this stupid?

P.S.  You can see that I put some deep thought into structuring this.  It took a very long 5 minutes if you we're wondering.   :laugh:
  •  

CalmRage

Thanks for reminding me i need to finish "The Truth" by Terry Pratchett. There's a new one coming out this October i think, called "Raising Steam".
I read all the Harry Potter books in both german and english. I prefer english of course. A teacher got me into Terry Pratchett, how cool is that for him to have done? We two are friends too at school and have loaned each other books a few times too. (no shame in that)
  •  

Kia

As someone who won't let a hasty well thought out plan go to waste, and adding an additional 40 seconds to 1 minute of thought have found this:

http://www.bookclubit.com/

Online Book Club creator!! As for what book to read, I'm stumped ???
  •  

vegie271

Quote from: The Duke Of Prunes on August 11, 2013, 04:21:20 PM
Thanks for reminding me i need to finish "The Truth" by Terry Pratchett. There's a new one coming out this October i think, called "Raising Steam".
I read all the Harry Potter books in both german and english. I prefer english of course. A teacher got me into Terry Pratchett, how cool is that for him to have done? We two are friends too at school and have loaned each other books a few times too. (no shame in that)

sorry - American here - that is right illiterate - english only - love to read though - I have read thousands of books in my life. is there any way we can choose one I can buy used at abes books though? I am poor  ;)

•  

Dreams2014

Quote from: vegie271 on August 11, 2013, 04:44:09 PM

sorry - American here - that is right illiterate - english only - love to read though - I have read thousands of books in my life. is there any way we can choose one I can buy used at abes books though? I am poor  ;)

Asketh the Lord (internet), and you shall receive.
Farewell to my friends, farewell to the life I knew. I burn what once was, and in the ashes I am born anew.
  •  

vegie271

truth is - not that interested in TRANS* issues more interested in general life, or the world, I am a Vegan, environmentalist, Human Rights  I just like what is happening in the world or just fiction or drama

•  

Kia

Quoteruth is - not that interested in TRANS* issues more interested in general life

yeah we can all wax poetic about trans* stuff without a book :laugh: I vote for space stuff, or a thrilling mystery!
  •  

vegie271

Quote from: Kia on August 11, 2013, 06:32:10 PM
yeah we can all wax poetic about trans* stuff without a book :laugh: I vote for space stuff, or a thrilling mystery!

if it is going to be mystery make it space - not too into gory stuff or any dick tracy type stuff

•  

Jamie D

I would like to nominate a book by an aspiring author:

Waking For Hours by Connie Anne McEntee
  •  

vegie271

Quote from: Jamie D on August 11, 2013, 06:50:10 PM

not available used yet

•  

Ltl89

How about "Evelina" by Francis Burney?  It's an old classic, so it should be available for free online and easily found in a library.  I'm open to more suggestions and input.  I just thought of something that I was about to read that we can all find without having to spend money.

Quote from: Jamie D on August 11, 2013, 06:50:10 PM

I haven't read this book.  Is it good?

•  

vegie271

Quote from: learningtolive on August 12, 2013, 12:16:48 AM
How about "Evelina" by Francis Burney?  It's an old classic, so it should be available for free online and easily found in a library.  I'm open to more suggestions and input.  I just thought of something that I was about to read that we can all find without having to spend money.

I have already found this one seems to be a classic ( think I am going to need cliff notes though the language is old)

•  

Yukari-sensei

Quote from: Kia on August 11, 2013, 06:32:10 PM
Space stuff? How recent are we willing to go or how far back?

Might I humbly suggest "On Basilisk Station" by David Weber? It's available for free at the Baen's Free Library (http://www.baenebooks.com/c-1-free-library.aspx). It's Hard SF/Space Opera,  the beginning of a great series, and has a strong female protagonist! (A major selling point for me)
  •  

vegie271

Quote from: Yukari-sensei on August 12, 2013, 12:18:06 PM
Space stuff? How recent are we willing to go or how far back?

Might I humbly suggest "On Basilisk Station" by David Weber? It's available for free at the Baen's Free Library (http://www.baenebooks.com/c-1-free-library.aspx). It's Hard SF/Space Opera,  the beginning of a great series, and has a strong female protagonist! (A major selling point for me)

;D This one looks great to me  ;D is it really free it said something about $5?

•  

vegie271

I have actually been reading "To Kill a Mockingbird" (re reading from high school) I had just finished "Catcher in the Rye" reread that one from adulthood after reading 50 shades of grey trilogy  ;) -

but I also have these books set aside for reading later maybe these would be interesting

My Sister's Keeper Shirley Lord
The Perks of being a Wallflower Stephen Chbosky
The Earth, My Butt, and Other Big Round Things Carolyn Mackler
The Chocolate War Robert Cormier
Breakfast at Tiffany's Truman Capote
(I had the Color Purple but it seems my danged apartment has eaten it like so danged many other things)  :'(

•  

Yukari-sensei

Quote from: vegie271 on August 12, 2013, 12:34:52 PM

;D This one looks great to me  ;D is it really free it said something about $5?

It's actually free, just click on your appropriate download link. The $5 is a donation to their free library program if you choose to pay for the copy.
  •  

how-audrey

I think this is a great idea. Gutenberg.org has a large selection of free books and short stories in the public domain. I started to really love reading old stories in the past year. It's really cool seeing how so little changes over a hundred years. I've been getting through HP Lovecraft's anthology, and I recently read The King in Yellow, which was an inspiration for Lovecraft's work. Both are a bit dark and macabre, so I could appreciate a story whose characters don't end up in a ward for the insane after experiencing some sort of mind-crippling terror.
  •  

Dreams2014

Keep in mind that if the books you're suggesting are relatively old then they are likely in the public domain, in which case they can be found for free on amazon through kindle, or other such public domain lists on the internet.
Farewell to my friends, farewell to the life I knew. I burn what once was, and in the ashes I am born anew.
  •  

Jamie D

Quote from: learningtolive on August 12, 2013, 12:16:48 AM

The author is a member here!
  •  

Jamie D

Quote from: vegie271 on August 12, 2013, 09:45:34 PM

I have actually been reading "To Kill a Mockingbird" (re reading from high school)

I loved that book.  And the movie too.

Did you know that it was Harper Lee's only published book?  Amazing, huh?
  •