Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Studying science.

Started by suitsme, September 01, 2013, 04:32:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

suitsme

Hi, have any of you studied a science or sciences?

I have studied natural sciences and health sciences. I love science :)
  •  

Northern Jane

Science was my passion from early grades. That evolved into a love of physics and that led to a career in science & technology. After a great many years and my recent retirement, I would love to go back to uni and pick uni some physics courses!
  •  

suitsme

Oh that's great  ;D

Physics is the science I always kept away from purely because maths is my weak point. I tended to follow biology/human biology and just do the maths that I had to do!!
  •  

Northern Jane

LOL! Many people are like that  ;)

I did very well in math, trig, algebra, everything right up to calculus in college. When I hit calculus, I crashed and burned LOL! Strange thing is that despite nearly 40 years in engineering, only once or twice did I run into a problem I couldn't solve without calculus. On those rare occasions, I just took the problem to someone else to solve  ;D
  •  

Jenny07

I love science and have a Science degree in Maths, Geology, & Geography, with Marine science tacked in.

Good mix to make a well educated statement on all this climate change stuff.
It's all about the funding.... ;)

My sister has a PhD in chemistry.
My Mother also had a Hon chemistry degree and was head of the Science department at the local High school
My aunt has a Hon Geology degree like myself
And my dad, the less said about him the better has a Geology degree.

Thus I can say Science runs in the family.
Oh to be a mad scientist!

How I ended up in banking? It's a long story. ???
So long and thanks for all the fish
  •  

suitsme

Oh wow you both are so mathematical minded!!

I loved the more health science type studies. Human biology, genetics, biological psychology etc etc. When I was younger I studied music and got my grades for theory and piano but I was also taught ballroom dance music on organ. It was only in my early thirties that I changed my subject to science.

But maths OMG ***shakes head*** lol  ;D
  •  

str8_softhearted

Nice to meet all of you. I thought I would post here even though it has been a while since anyone has. Science, math, and engineering has been my career, PhD, research (engineering professor, publications, patents, and government lab work). Glad to see that there is a science section here. I am new and so until now all of my posts have been in the "introductions" section.

Dan

If you are unfamiliar with something, or do not understand it, do not fear it or hate it: investigate it

Your mind is the only thing you get to take with you, so invest in it wisely
  •  

Cindy

I'm a Professor, PhD, chief medical scientist, FFSc RCPA. Published just under 100 peer reviewed papers and four books.

Many scientists and high powered people here.

Being transgender has nothing to do with intelligence or interests.
  •  

str8_softhearted

Quote from: Cindy on January 29, 2014, 03:09:19 AM
I'm a Professor, PhD, chief medical scientist, FFSc RCPA. Published just under 100 peer reviewed papers and four books.

I never questioned the intelligence or accomplishments of transgendered people. I was posting here trying to find those in this section who may have science careers, in common with myself. Of course there are many TG/TS who have very successful science careers! In fact, you have accomplished much more than myself in your career, very impressive (looking at you with admiration)....Wow....that boyfriend of yours is sooooo lucky....but I can dream......

If you are unfamiliar with something, or do not understand it, do not fear it or hate it: investigate it

•  

str8_softhearted

Still jealous of that boyfriend of yours....sigh....super brains, success, beauty, and from what I can tell, you are also charming. Hope you do not mind me flirting. By the way, Aussie accents are sexy! How is this relevant to science?....hmmmm....working on that.....well, better cut it short here :)

•  

Cindy

And a lot of pain, rejection, hurt, assaults to get there.

Our paths are not easy or pleasant.  :laugh: ::)
  •  

str8_softhearted

Quote from: Cindy on January 30, 2014, 01:31:42 AM
And a lot of pain, rejection, hurt, assaults to get there.

Our paths are not easy or pleasant.  :laugh: ::)

OMG Cindy, the pain, rejection, and hurt are bad enough, and you certainly do not deserve such, but assaults! How could anyone do such a thing to you! I lived through domestic abuse as a boy, and found myself often defending my mother when my dad would drink, and it is painful to think of anyone going through that. You deserve cuddling, romance, and all such things. I am glad you are in a better place now.

•  

Cindy

Always remember, when you deal with transgender as a group we have a parasuicide rate of over 30%. Depression, alcohol abuse, drug abuse is common.

This is one reason that places like Sue's are very protective of our members.
  •  

str8_softhearted

Quote from: Cindy on January 30, 2014, 01:48:33 AM
Always remember, when you deal with transgender as a group we have a parasuicide rate of over 30%. Depression, alcohol abuse, drug abuse is common.

It is heartbreaking to read of such suffering. I wish society was more accepting, sensitive, and open minded. Of course you are right about Susan's Place.

•  

str8_softhearted

Quote from: Cindy on January 30, 2014, 01:48:33 AM

Cindy,

This is off topic here but I hope you understand my wanting to post this here where things are "quieter". I had made a few recent posts (on the thread on which I introduced myself) all concerning a post there earlier that seems to imply that a significant number of people on this site, mostly silent, are uncomfortable with my presence here. I trust you enough to ask your opinion. Do you think, after reading the relevant posts there yourself, and based on your experience here, that there is enough hidden resentment that I should reduce or even eliminate my presence? I would greatly appreciate your advice. Am I over-reacting to this?

As usual, my posts there are soooo verbose, sorry. I lose track of how much I have written as I go along.

•  

Cindy

No, you are welcome. No one can tell anyone to leave this site except a GM.

Many people may decide to ignore posts and that is a very usual way of people to deal with posts that they are not interested in.

GM tend to read nearly everything, that is our job.

I wouldn't worry.
  •  

str8_softhearted

Quote from: Cindy on January 31, 2014, 01:11:01 AM
No, you are welcome. No one can tell anyone to leave this site except a GM.

Many people may decide to ignore posts and that is a very usual way of people to deal with posts that they are not interested in.

GM tend to read nearly everything, that is our job.

I wouldn't worry.

Thank you, I am really glad you are here

•  

Sandy

Dan:

Just to chime in with Cindy.  We here are *very* protective our brothers and sisters here.  We watch out for each other and the mods have create a safe place for people to come where they are unconditionally loved and cared for.  This place is quite often the ONLY place where they can find safe haven.

We have had trolls, sexual deviants and worse come here trying to cause havoc or look for sexual relations.  The mods and Susan herself have taken on the gargantuan task of keeping us safe.  And in some cases they have been extremely aggressive in battling those who have tried to hurt us.  We owe them an incredible thanks for their efforts.

We are very wary of anyone who comes here without either being trans or having someone in their life who is.

Also while we are trans, we hardly all have the same point of view.  (Not hardly!)  Also our backgrounds are all over the map.

Feel free to participate in our conversations and ask questions.  We will help you understand our lives.  Also too perhaps you can help us understand those who aren't trans.  We really don't understand what it feels like to be normal.  What it feels like to be comfortable in your own skin.  We really, really don't.  And our quest really is a search to finally feel normal.

Also one of the things the mods do is try to keep threads on track and I'm probably in violation of that by posting this in this thread.  SORRY CINDY!

I now return this thread to its regularly scheduled discussion.

-Sandy
Out of the darkness, into the light.
Following my bliss.
I am complete...
  •  

SciNerdGirl

I'm a PhD Scientist as well (Physics/Optics),  I haven't published nearly that many papers (only about 10 or so, and co-author on several more.  None since I started working in industry though).    What is your field Cindy (I'm guessing it's bio-medical or something like that),  what are your research interests? 

I Love talking science with people.  I've co-authored at least one paper in a medical Journal (IOVS - Ophthalmology/Vision Science), and one of the uses for the optical sensors built by the company I work for is testing artificial Heart Valves. 

If anyone wants to chat about science, drop me a line, or start a thread, and let me know about it.

Janet (SciNerdGirl)
If I want to look like a girl, I need to eat like one.

Happiness is getting your eyeliner perfect on the first try  :angel:
  •  

Stochastic

Quote from: SciNerdGirl on February 04, 2014, 10:53:55 PM
I Love talking science with people.  I've co-authored at least one paper in a medical Journal (IOVS - Ophthalmology/Vision Science), and one of the uses for the optical sensors built by the company I work for is testing artificial Heart Valves. 

If anyone wants to chat about science, drop me a line, or start a thread, and let me know about it.

Janet (SciNerdGirl)

Hi Janet and others,

I am obsessed with science. I help with river basin development planning and provide assistance to large river restoration projects. For lack of a better job title, river ecologist is the best fit for what I do. Nothing beats the multi-discipline complexity of large rivers. I coauthored a handful of publications, but work in the applied field limits time for true research. I too am interested in deeper discussions on various science topics and wish I would have saw this topic sooner.

Julia

•