Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Does anyone collect china?

Started by LearnedHand, September 02, 2013, 06:01:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DriftingCrow

Does anyone else collect china? If so, which ones do you collect?

I have a partial Noritake #5807 set. I used to have the full set of four I inherited from my mother who got them from her Grandmother (along with various bone china pieces from Ansley, Royal Grafton, and Royal Windsor), but unfortunately, I think my father got rid of one of the boxes without realizing what it was after my mom died. Now I am left with three #5807 tea cups, four saucers, four salad plates, and four dessert plates, along with one Ansley bone tea cup, one Royal Windsor bone tea cup, and one Royal Grafton bone teacup. I am planning on replacing my #5807s since the pieces are so readily available online eventually when I am less poor, and at least find the matching saucers for the bone teacups.

Today though, I was at a consignment shop and found a Noritake sugar bowl, which I picked up since it was only $1 and I really liked the pattern. This one appears to be older than the #5807s since it is stamped "M" in the wreath, is hand painted, and has no pattern name or number. I am going to have to do more research to find out which pattern this is. Edit to add: research shows it's likely from '21 to about '40 due to the bottom mark.

ਮਨਿ ਜੀਤੈ ਜਗੁ ਜੀਤੁ
  •  

Devlyn

Umm, does having what I think is the china my Mom got for her wedding upstairs in a box somewhere count as collecting? Not sure what kind of china it is, but it's wrapped in 1970s newspaper, so it hasn't seen the light of day in awhile.
  •  

Devlyn

You need a large backyard with a secure fence!
  •  

DriftingCrow

ਮਨਿ ਜੀਤੈ ਜਗੁ ਜੀਤੁ
  •  

DriftingCrow

Quote from: Devlyn Marie on September 02, 2013, 08:12:44 PM
Umm, does having what I think is the china my Mom got for her wedding upstairs in a box somewhere count as collecting? Not sure what kind of china it is, but it's wrapped in 1970s newspaper, so it hasn't seen the light of day in awhile.

Perhaps you do collect. My definition of "collecting" is actively obtaining property to sit and dust on a regular basis.  ;)
ਮਨਿ ਜੀਤੈ ਜਗੁ ਜੀਤੁ
  •  

Jamie D

It's fun to break out the china once in a while.  I did it last Thanksgiving, and plan to do it again.

From my late grandmother we got her Spode Buttercup, which dates back, for the most part, to before WWII:

And our china is the Fitz and Floyd mixed collection, between the Starburst Cobalt Blue

and the Renaissance Cobalt Blue

•  

JenSquid

Quote from: Miss Bungle on September 02, 2013, 08:15:04 PM
How would you collect a country? :P
The Habsburgs were huge into collecting countries. They owned like a dozen or so.

I can't say I collect china. My interest is more in crystal and cut glass. Granted, I don't really collect those, either, but I would if I had the space/money.
  •  

DriftingCrow

The buttercups look quite nice Jamie. Buttercups always remind me of elementary school.  :) Ah, carefree days. . .
ਮਨਿ ਜੀਤੈ ਜਗੁ ਜੀਤੁ
  •