Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

California Mother Publishes Book On Raising ‘Rainbow’ Child: Six-Year-Old Son Is

Started by Amelia Pond, September 05, 2013, 01:44:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amelia Pond

California Mother Publishes Book On Raising 'Rainbow' Child: Six-Year-Old Son Is 'Gender Creative'
Lecia Bushak, September 4, 2013 08:33 PM EDT

When Lori Duron's son began playing with Barbies and girl toys at an early age, the Orange County, Calif. mother of two realized she wouldn't be raising a normal "boy" in the traditional sense of the word. Duron's son, C.J., would instead blossom into what she referred to as a "rainbow child," or a gender-nonconforming boy.

She started a blog, at first writinganonymously, called "Raising My Rainbow: Adventures in Raising a Fabulous, Gender Creative Son" (which is now published as a book of the same name), to chronicle her adventures in raising her son. C.J., now six years old, is described as "the most captivating child you will ever meet with an insane knack for art and color, interior design and dance." C.J.'s dreams include being a make-up artist or hair stylist.

"He's fun. He's a great kid. He's healthy and happy," Duron told the AP in an interview.
  •  

Ltl89

Even though the mom has good intentions, I'm not sure I like this.  I'm sorry, but I would've hated for my mom to have documented my transgender life on a blog for the word to see.  I think the mother is great for allowing him the creativity and freedom to discover himself, but does she need to document it on the internet?  If the kid is happy and has loving support, that's great because he will be able to find himself in that sort of environment.  Still, I can't help but feel a little awkward about the blog.

Maybe I'm looking at this from a negative perspective, so I apologize if my views are too skewed. 
  •