Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

I plan to have "THE talk" with my wife this weekend. Any advice?

Started by Barbara Ann, May 24, 2007, 10:02:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lisbeth

Quote from: Renae Lupini on May 26, 2007, 11:51:02 AM
Quote from: Barbara Ann on May 26, 2007, 10:38:25 AM
"Honey, I've got good news and bad news. The bad news is that there's another woman in my life. The good news is that woman is me!"
Actually? I personally think this would be a great way to break the ice on the subject. It is along the lines of what worked best for me when I came to my family and friends. "I am going to live as woman." was my icebreaker.
Well, if you want to come across as an insensitive ass-hole, like my brother-in-law, sure, go ahead.
Quote from: Jillieann on May 27, 2007, 08:01:47 AM
QuoteI just hope she will trust me, after all the dust settles over this (if it ever does.) We've been married eleven years; we were best friends for six years before that.
You need to be prepared for the worst.
I had been married 35 years when I told my wife that I was transgender and that was over a year and a half ago. She still does not trust me.
In my case it took her more than five years.  There was a point where if I said the sky was blue, she would have not believed it.
"Anyone who attempts to play the 'real transsexual' card should be summarily dismissed, as they are merely engaging in name calling rather than serious debate."
--Julia Serano

http://juliaserano.blogspot.com/2011/09/transsexual-versus-transgender.html
  •  

Renae.Lupini

Really? Of all the times that i came out to people, being right to the point has worked the best. there is no gray area as to what is being discussed. It lets the person have the initial "what?!?" moment and gave me the chance the then explain in response to their question. It has been my experience that by trying to spare feelings, the messages get mixed and nothing productive come from the discussion at all.

Could it also be said that by not being completely honest right up front is also being insensitive? It is merely deceiving them into thinking they will be ok with the idea when in fact they don't know the whole truth. To me, that would be insensitive.

Just for the record, my ex-wife (yes, ex) and I are still on speaking terms, my ex-girlfriend no longer talks to me (the whole deception and trust issue ruined this relationship), my aunt and uncle have crossed me off their Christmas list, and everyone else in my life has come to accept me for who I am. Regardless of how we come out and what we say, some people will not be able reconcile the idea of changing genders or the intense sense of mistrust and deception. With the few negative things that have happened I have had hundreds more that were positive. Even the negatives I chalk up as learning experiences so they still serve a purpose.

When it come down to the best way to come out, there is no best way. We can only discuss what we are ready to admit to the rest of the world. As long as you stay true to yourself you will do just fine.
  •  

Cindi Jones

Be totally honest, tell her the basics, don't show photos, and then open yourself for a barrage of questions.

Listen.

It's hard to know how she will react.  You are going to have to do a lot of damage control. My wife, a strict Mormon, could not handle it at all.  It was the most miserable year of my life.  I could not ever have a conversation with her about it.  Part of it was me.  I could not bear to hurt her.  When I did finally want to talk about it, she would hear nothing of it.  Just be prepared for what may come.

Cindi
Author of Squirrel Cage
  •  

Barbara Ann

We had THE talk last night. I started out by reaffirming my love for her, my need for her, my not wanting to lose her. Then I told her I had been taking hormones to become the woman I was inside.
Dear God in heaven, how did I ever deserve such a loving wife!! She asked me about how long I've felt this way. I told her for decades. She looked me in the eye and took my hand and told me that I had waited too long - that she loved me and was with me wherever I went and whatever I did. She said that I had stood by her, and that she would stand by me and continue to love me.
I apologized for breaking trust with her by doing hormones without talking with her. She forgave me. Then she asked questions, and I answered this angel to the best of my knowledge. She was satisfied with the answers. She apologized to me, thinking that something in her demeanor kept me from approaching her sooner. Apologize to me?!
All of you who responded to my original post for advice must share in the sheer happiness I am experiencing. Without your kind advice and you hard-won experience that you graciously shared, this would not have transpired like it did.
I am deeply in debt to all of you.
My highest esteem and love,
-Barb
  •  

Dennis

That's awesome, Barb. Congratulations. She does sound like a wonderful woman.

Dennis
  •  

Renae.Lupini

Well, you did it. Now that is over with. :)

There is a a whole new world that the both of you are now a part of. If you ever need some encouragement along the way, just let us know.

Did anyone get her a new toaster? That is the widely known fact, that when we come out we get a new toaster for our efforts. Hopefully you get your toaster, after all you earned it.
  •  

Barbara Ann

Renae, you are like the sister I always wanted!!! Why don't you move to Canton, OH so that we can tear this place up - change some attitudes - get some respect for girls like us? >:D
Toaster? I get a toaster for comming out to my wife? Sweet!!! What do I get when I have my boob job?
Love-
-Barb
  •  

Renae.Lupini

I think you are going to do just fine. Stay honest without getting defensive and you will be fine. You are a woman, it is ok to express your feelings in a constructive manner :)
  •  

Robyn

One of the best bumper stickers I have seen says, "Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly."

Your wife (So/husband/partner) is your guardian angel.  She is much more likely to stay with you if you transition slowly enough for her to absorb and process each change.

It might take an extra year or two to get to surgery, but you will likely still have the love of your life waiting for you when you come to in your hospital room.

Robyn

OBTW, how did it go?

When we walk to the edge of all the light we have and take the step into the darkness of the unknown, we must believe that one of two things will happen. There will be something solid for us to stand on or we will be taught to fly. — Patrick Overton
  •  

Barbara Ann

So good to hear from you, Robyn. Everything went like my best dream could have imagined it!! I gave a brief description a few posts earlier. After our talk, we fell asleep in each others arms; and today, she has been asking questions which I have been truthfully answering. She is with me all the way. She also wants to go to a support group with me when I find one. I am determined to be sensitive to her ability to digest info.
-Barb
  •  

rhondabythebay

I am so happy for you Barbara Ann. You truly do have a treasure there. I find my wife to be my staunchest ally in my transition. Congratulations on your success.

Hugs,

Rhonda
  •  

Hypatia

Here's what I find about compromise--
don't do it if it hurts inside,
'cause either way you're screwed,
eventually you'll find
you may as well feel good;
you may as well have some pride

--Indigo Girls
  •