News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Unaffordable Care Act

Started by Tatyana, October 05, 2013, 08:41:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yukari-sensei

Quote from: Donna E on October 28, 2013, 01:38:38 AM
Interestingly, most people in this part of the world also have some private medical insurance which covers things that are not well covered by the the univeral scheme like "cosmetic" dental care, glasses, private hospital rooms...I think it also worth mentioning that about 30% of hospitals in France are private which means that for many types of medical care, you have a choice between public and private hospitals and, in my experience, waiting has never been an issue. The public insurance also covers the costs of the private hospitals, up to certain pre-set limits, the rest being paid for either out of pocket or through the private medical insurance I mentioned above.
I would yet again like to emphasize that in spite of there being no obvious difference in the quality of medical care provided in the US compared to Europe, the % of national wealth devoted to health care is much higher in the US (17% compared to about 12% on average in Europe) while still excluding millions of people. If this is a demonstation of market efficiency at it's best I think it can be compared to the market efficiency of Wall Street priori to 2008 and we all know where that brought us to. But, I guess for true believers, no counter evidence is ever too much to sway their convictions...
With that, I'm  just a few hours away from a two week vacation so I'll leave it at that.
Hugs
Donna

Ouch! Thank you for reminding us that we are the only industrialized nation without any mandatory paid vacation too!

http://www.forbes.com/sites/tanyamohn/2013/08/13/paid-time-off-forget-about-it-a-report-looks-at-how-the-u-s-compares-to-other-countries/      (If you gripe about Forbes having a liberal bias... then you are delusional. :icon_weirdface:)

Some of us just can't seem to hear anything over the sound of their "freedom"... :-\
  •  

Cindy

:police:

Lets be nice and a bit careful of our emotions getting high!

BTW in the dysfunctional Australian system I only get 5 weeks paid leave pa (which is compulsory to take and includes extra holiday pay of $150/week while on leave), 12 months long service leave after 10 years (cumulative), and free medical care. So I am in no position to argue about good or bad systems ::).

Each country we are talking about have democratically elected governments and it is up to the people in those countries to make their minds up.
  •  

Donna Elvira

Quote from: Cindy on October 28, 2013, 05:00:15 AM
:police:

Lets be nice and a bit careful of our emotions getting high!

BTW in the dysfunctional Australian system I only get 5 weeks paid leave pa (which is compulsory to take and includes extra holiday pay of $150/week while on leave), 12 months long service leave after 10 years (cumulative), and free medical care. So I am in no position to argue about good or bad systems ::).

Each country we are talking about have democratically elected governments and it is up to the people in those countries to make their minds up.

Cindy,
I'm not even sure why the subject is being discussed on this forum but since it is and since a lot of what is being said seems to defy the facts, it is difficult to ignore. By the way, Australia sounds even better than France. First time I have ever heard of 12 months long service leave. Are you serious??
Hugs
Donna
  •  

Devlyn

"I'm not even sure why the subject is being discussed on this forum"

I'll second that.
  •  

amZo

Quote from: Devlyn Marie on October 28, 2013, 09:31:39 AM
"I'm not even sure why the subject is being discussed on this forum"

I'll second that.

"We were all lied to.  The affordable care act is not going to be affordable.  I'm learning that my health insurance is going up by as much as 200-300%. Everyone else I've talked says the same thing. I won't be able to afford a 300% increase. "  - Tatiana

This seems like a very relevant topic to me. For one, I would think a 200-300% increase in health care insurance cost could derail many people's transition plans? I've seen reports in FL that some people have gotten 1000%+ increases (they've provided the proof BTW).
  •  

Devlyn

We have to agree to disagree, then.

I'll ask the obvious question: You're oZma, right?

Hugs, Devlyn
  •  

amZo

Quote from: Devlyn Marie on October 28, 2013, 12:48:18 PM
We have to agree to disagree, then.

I'll ask the obvious question: You're oZma, right?

Hugs, Devlyn

Just as we will have to disagree to agree... I'm not oZma (I hope dyslexia coverage is sneaked somewhere in those 2,500 pages of obamacare!   ;) )
  •  

Jamie D

Quote from: <3 on October 27, 2013, 11:32:54 PM
Unless there's something I don't know about, this is a little misleading.  The private insurance that these Canadians have is to cover things not covered by Provincial Health Care, i.e. medications, dental, therapy, etc.  There aren't private hospitals (at least that I know of)

I am aware of the private Cambie Surgical Centre in Vancouver, BC.  There are plans to open similar private hospitals in many of the large cities in Canada, for people who would prefer not to suffer while on a waiting list.

EDIT: link = http://www.cambiesurgery.com/
  •  

Danielle Emmalee

Quote from: Jamie de la Rosa on October 28, 2013, 06:51:30 PM
I am aware of the private Cambie Surgical Centre in Vancouver, BC.  There are plans to open similar private hospitials in many of the large cities in Canada, for people who would prefer not to suffer while on a waiting list.

Interesting.  Still I can pretty much guarantee that the majority of the private insurance that over half of Canadians have has nothing to do with private hospital care.
Discord, I'm howlin' at the moon
And sleepin' in the middle of a summer afternoon
Discord, whatever did we do
To make you take our world away?

Discord, are we your prey alone,
Or are we just a stepping stone for taking back the throne?
Discord, we won't take it anymore
So take your tyranny away!
  •  

Jamie D

Over 96 Percent of Obamacare Enrollees in Maryland Signed Up for Medicaid

Sterling Beard | National Review Online

According to a press release Friday, 85,659 people have enrolled through the exchange. However, 82,473 of those have signed up for Medicaid, accounting for just over 96 percent of sign ups....

[Both] Kentucky and New York are seeing the same phenomenon.

Disaster!  People will come out of the woodwork to sign up for free government cheese, but pay for over-priced medical coverage?  Not so much, evidently.

•  

amZo

QuoteAccording to a press release Friday, 85,659 people have enrolled through the exchange....

•  

DanicaCarin

•  

Shantel

Quote from: DaniStarr on October 30, 2013, 10:19:17 AM
This pretty much sums it up!

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304200804579163541180312658

::)

Good article, I also noticed that it didn't originate from Fox News.

I've been reading some posts on a liberal website and those ardent defenders of Obama and the Democratic machine are indeed getting a rude awakening and are universally going, "WTF, I didn't vote for this >-bleeped-<!"  Too bad it took so long and had to be something that would affect them in their immediate comfort zone before they finally realized what was happening.
  •  

Yukari-sensei

Quote from: Shantel on October 30, 2013, 12:14:36 PM

The Wall Street Journal is owned by Rupert Murdoch, the owner of Fox News... Just an FYI
  •  

Shantel

Quote from: Yukari-sensei on October 30, 2013, 03:33:46 PM
The Wall Street Journal is owned by Rupert Murdoch, the owner of Fox News... Just an FYI

Still it doesn't detract from the truth presented by the article in any way!
  •  

Jamie D

I've been reading some posts on a liberal website and those ardent defenders of Obama and the Democratic machine are indeed getting a rude awakening and are universally going, "WTF, I didn't vote for this >-bleeped-<!"  Too bad it took so long and had to be something that would affect them in their immediate comfort zone before they finally realized what was happening.

People are beginning to wake up to the "nanny state."
  •  

michelle gee

I noticed that this article is in the opinion section of the Wall Street and it is clearly the opinion of a conservative.
Only time will tell if the ACA will work.

Like I said previously the ACA concept was first proposed by republican's.

[Romney's signature legislative achievement served as the model for Obamacare. But as Romney said in a debate in Las Vegas last October, "we got the idea of an individual mandate...from [Newt Gingrich], and [Newt] got it from the Heritage Foundation."

It would seem that 1990s conservatives weren't concerned with the constitutional implications of allowing Congress to force people to buy a private product. "I don't remember that being raised at all," Mark Pauly told Ezra Klein last year. "The way it was viewed by the Congressional Budget Office in 1994 was, effectively, as a tax...So I've been surprised by that argument."]

http://www.forbes.com/sites/theapothecary/2012/02/07/the-tortuous-conservative-history-of-the-individual-mandate/

I still believe it can work if we give it a fair shot. Is it perfect? No, nothing is or ever will be perfect but one thing certain, Healthcare costs will continue to skyrocket faster than the cost of living.

I also reiterate, republican's are not friends of LGBT people whether or not you are for or against O'Bamacare.
It baffles me how anyone of us can say we are republican's.
  •  

Yukari-sensei

Quote from: Shantel on October 30, 2013, 03:43:25 PM
Still it doesn't detract from the truth presented by the article in any way!
Nevermind the fact that it's also from the opinion section of the newspaper which is not bound at all by journalistic ethics or procedure.

Good example of this is my local paper's opinion section has a whole tirade that the US is going to have a day of reckoning if it doesn't abandon secularism and embrace Jesus Christ.... not exactly a piece of investigative journalism or reporting of verifiable facts...

But hey,  its your choice if you want another's opinion to masquerade as facts in your judgment. Just don't be surprised when other people disagree with your opinion that is not based on verifiable facts.
  •  

Yukari-sensei

Quote from: Jamie de la Rosa on October 30, 2013, 03:45:11 PM
People are beginning to wake up to the "nanny state."
We hardly have a nanny state... unless you want to count those corporate subsidies and tax credits for the uberwealthy?

Like it or not, when people in red states start to see the cost of them fumbling the ball on state exchanges and medicare expansion, there will be a political reckoning...

I'm in Texas and in 2020, Texas will be blue... it may be even sooner than that.  ;D

And without Texas, no Republican will be capable of winning the white house.... >:-)
  •  

genderhell

Quote from: Yukari-sensei on October 30, 2013, 03:56:20 PM
And without Texas, no Republican will be capable of winning the white house.... >:-)

Yeah, present day Republicans are finished.

America will keep importing mostly poor 3rd world, non-white people and giving them housing, food stamps, and free health care in exchange for their allegiance to the Democratic party. Then they are told that America's economic problems are caused by selfish, racist white people (Republicans), so vote Democrat.

Republicans are even trying to hasten their demise by legalizing 10-20 million poor illegal aliens that will vote Democrat, if they vote at all.

Republicans will have to change to survive.
  •