Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

WATCH: Pat Robertson Likens Transgender People to Geldings

Started by Amelia Pond, October 10, 2013, 08:54:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amelia Pond

WATCH: Pat Robertson Likens Transgender People to Geldings
DANIEL REYNOLDS, OCTOBER 09 2013 7:10 PM ET

Pat Robertson expressed both outrage and ignorance on transgender rights issues in his response to a new law that protects transgender students in California.

The antigay televangelist compared a transgender person to his "big and beautiful" stallion that had been castrated...

Reacting to the passage of AB 1266, which ensures California transgender students access to the public school activities and facilities, like restrooms and locker rooms, that correspond to their gender identity, Robertson also railed against the influence of LGBT people in the spheres of politics and law.
  •  

Jamie D

From the video:

Pat Robertson:  "I am not opposed to somebody who feels that they are, [for instance] a boy trapped in a girl's body, and they want a sex change operation.  That happens and I see nothing wrong with it."

To clarify, the argument Robertson is making has to do with the propriety of a pre-op or non-op transgendered person using sex-segregated facilities opposite of their current sexual presentation.  This issue still divides the transgender community, as is shown in the opinions stated last year about the controversy surrounding an incident at Evergreen State College, in which a pre-op 45-year old transwoman was permitted the use the shower facilities in sight of girls as young as 6-years old.
  •  

formerMTF

Social conservatives have not lifted their opposition to recognizing the gender reassignment as they opposed it when it was first accepped in Callifornia about 35 years ago. 
The constitutional republic was not intended to mean a formal democracy where behindt he curtain the military and the  espionage agencies have all the power.
  •  

~RoadToTrista~

•  

Lexi Belle

I'm inclined to be okay with what they're saying in this.  They're NOT in any way bashing transsexual people, they tend to forget transsexuals are a part of transgenders, what they are doing is saying if you have the parts for 1 sex, you should use their bathroom.  This makes perfect sense to me, not because you would be any less of a man/woman.  It's for safety of other people AND yourself. 
Skype- Alexandria.Edelmeyer
  •  

Jamie D

Quote from: formerMTF on October 10, 2013, 10:13:06 AM
Social conservatives have not lifted their opposition to recognizing the gender reassignment as they opposed it when it was first accepped in Callifornia about 35 years ago.

That's just broad brush non-sense.
  •  

Lexi Belle

Quote from: Beth Andrea on October 10, 2013, 12:36:19 PM
Rape is illegal whether or not one is trans...and there are no locks on any bathroom entrances that I've seen. It is just as easy for a cis-male to physically walk into the lady's room as a trans*woman.
Which is also not the only problem.
  •  

dalebert

So trans women aren't women. They're just less aggressive males. *eye roll*

Lexi Belle

I should probably also mention I don't agree with the second half- it's completely inappropriate.
  •  

dalebert

I don't think bathrooms should even be segregated. They should just make stalls more private.

Lexi Belle

Quote from: dalebert on October 10, 2013, 01:50:52 PM
I don't think bathrooms should even be segregated. They should just make stalls more private.

I mean, in regards to fairness I think it really depends.  When referencing an environment with showers or open nudity or environments where children are present, I can see how this can be a bit of a fuss.  It can be very confusing.  If it's just a traditional bathroom, I agree- stalls need a bit more privacy to avoid any kind of hate crime or as has been stated sexual assault from happening as much as possible.
  •  

Beth Andrea

I came back to delete both my posts, but only found one. If anyone has quoted a post of mine, please edit it.

Thank you, and I'm sorry for any inappropriate comments.
...I think for most of us it is a futile effort to try and put this genie back in the bottle once she has tasted freedom...

--read in a Tessa James post 1/16/2017
  •  

Lexi Belle

Quote from: Beth Andrea on October 10, 2013, 02:09:35 PM
I came back to delete both my posts, but only found one. If anyone has quoted a post of mine, please edit it.

Thank you, and I'm sorry for any inappropriate comments.
Why is that?  I mean, I think we're kinda saying the same thing.  Your opinions are just as valid as mine.
  •  

Ltl89

I'm sorry but I don't see this as reasonable at all.  Let's say a pre-op women that completely passes and lives full time needs to use the bathroom.  Why should she use the men's room?  Isn't that putting her at risk in some way?  Does he even care about the safety of others or is it all about his arbitrary definition on what makes one an official man or woman?  Besides, he can't take back the fact that he concurred with "Dr" Falwell's assessment that the lgbt community helped bring about 9/11.  He is not reasonable in any degree.  Moral majority  ::)
  •  

Lexi Belle

Quote from: learningtolive on October 10, 2013, 02:31:57 PM
I'm sorry but I don't see this as reasonable at all.  Let's say a pre-op women that completely passes and lives full time needs to use the bathroom.  Why should she use the men's room?  Isn't that putting her at risk in some way?  Does he even care about the safety of others or is it all about his arbitrary definition on what makes one an official man or woman?  Besides, he can't take back the fact that he concurred with "Dr" Falwell's assessment that the lgbt community helped bring about 9/11.  He is not reasonable in any degree.  Moral majority  ::)

Just based off the fact that he was excluding "boys trapped in girls bodies" from the transgendered label should say something about what you just argued.  Basically, the way I read that is fully transitioned transsexuals it makes sense, however drag queens, cross dressers and the rest of the transgender umbrella shouldn't be allowed to go in to the different bathrooms which is to a degree unacceptable depending on the seriousness of the individual.  Some cross dressers are still transsexual, some merely don't have the means to get what they need.  It's all dependent and his ignorance to the terminology evidently makes his views a little less clear to comprehend.
  •  

Nero

Quote from: Nidalexi on October 10, 2013, 11:31:25 AM
They're NOT in any way bashing transsexual people, they tend to forget transsexuals are a part of transgenders, what they are doing is saying if you have the parts for 1 sex, you should use their bathroom. This makes perfect sense to me, not because you would be any less of a man/woman.  It's for safety of other people AND yourself.

The problem with that is that this guy would be using the women's. Something tells me that wouldn't go over too well.  :laugh:

Nero was the Forum Admin here at Susan's Place for several years up to the time of his death.
  •  

Ltl89

Quote from: Nidalexi on October 10, 2013, 02:36:18 PM
Just based off the fact that he was excluding "boys trapped in girls bodies" from the transgendered label should say something about what you just argued.  Basically, the way I read that is fully transitioned transsexuals it makes sense, however drag queens, cross dressers and the rest of the transgender umbrella shouldn't be allowed to go in to the different bathrooms which is to a degree unacceptable depending on the seriousness of the individual.  Some cross dressers are still transsexual, some merely don't have the means to get what they need.  It's all dependent and his ignorance to the terminology evidently makes his views a little less clear to comprehend.

Sure, I understand your view.  I'm not really saying anything to the contrary.  The problem is how do you determine who is transsexual and who is transgender purely on the basis of appearance?

Also, he did make the distinction between pre-ops and post-ops.  It's pretty clear from the beginning of the video.  That's my main issue because he probably doesn't understand how one can transition fully but be forced to wait for the surgery.  A full time women shouldn't have to go to the men's room, even if she is pre-op. 
  •  

Lexi Belle

Quote from: learningtolive on October 10, 2013, 02:48:14 PM
Sure, I understand your view.  I'm not really saying anything to the contrary.  The problem is how do you determine who is transsexual and who is transgender purely on the basis of appearance?

Also, he did make the distinction between pre-ops and post-ops.  It's pretty clear from the beginning of the video.  That's my main issue because he probably doesn't understand how one can transition fully but be forced to wait for the surgery.  A full time women shouldn't have to go to the men's room, even if she is pre-op.

Transsexuals ARE transgender.  That's one thing many people fail to realize. 
You're right, and nor should a great many transgender people.  But as I said I think it's fair in places with open nudity to say pre-op transsexuals would cause a fuss, it's fair.   

I know when I start presenting full time. Yeah I'll want to use female facilities, but until I get my surgery I'll definitely keep my space from open nudity zones.  Showers and what-not.
  •  

Ltl89

Quote from: Nidalexi on October 10, 2013, 02:58:18 PM
Transsexuals ARE transgender.  That's one thing many people fail to realize. 
You're right, and nor should a great many transgender people.  But as I said I think it's fair in places with open nudity to say pre-op transsexuals would cause a fuss, it's fair.   

I know when I start presenting full time. Yeah I'll want to use female facilities, but until I get my surgery I'll definitely keep my space from open nudity zones.  Showers and what-not.

Well, transsexuals are part of the transgender community.  However, not all transgender people are transsexual.   

I avoid public bathrooms as much as possible, but sometimes you can't.  If you are deep in the city and away from your place, there is little you can do.  If you are working a 12 hour shift with no break (I've done that in the past), you'll likely have to use the public facilities.  It would be terrible for me to have to go into the men's room once I am full time.  Surgery costs a lot of money and not all of us have access to gender free bathrooms.  Besides, I've never considered bathrooms as nudity free zones.  No one walks around naked, unless they have some problems.   

Nonetheless, I respect you opinion and we will have to agree to disagree. :)
  •  

Lexi Belle

Quote from: learningtolive on October 10, 2013, 03:10:48 PM
Well, transsexuals are part of the transgender community.  However, not all transgender people are transsexual.   

I avoid public bathrooms as much as possible, but sometimes you can't.  If you are deep in the city and away from your place, there is little you can do.  If you are working a 12 hour shift with no break (I've done that in the past), you'll likely have to use the public facilities.  It would be terrible for me to have to go into the men's room once I am full time.  Surgery costs a lot of money and not all of us have access to gender free bathrooms.  Besides, I've never considered bathrooms as nudity free zones.  No one walks around naked, unless they have some problems.   

Nonetheless, I respect you opinion and we will have to agree to disagree. :)

That's the same thing I've said time and time again.

And that's because bathrooms don't generally have open nudity, you have yet to actually even disagree with me. :P
  •