Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

T Cream??????????

Started by M9848, October 16, 2013, 02:56:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

M9848

Ok, so I really want to start using testosterone cream. I'm kinda lost on what to do....
  •  

Lauren5

At least from what I've heard, sublingual, injection, or patch is better for E, so I's assume similar for T. Creams aren't usually recommended. I'd look into it though.
Hey, you've reached Lauren's signature! If you have any questions, want to talk, or just need a shoulder to cry on, leave me a message, and I'll get back to you.
*beep*

Full time: 12/12/13
Started hormones: 26/3/14
FFS: No clue, winter/spring 2014/15 maybe?
SRS: winter/spring 2014/15?
  •  

aleon515

T-cream isn't recommended for who or what? It's not true. There are advantages and disadvantages. I have been on T-cream for the last 8 months. I am very small frame and short, even so I am passing something like 80% of the time with minimal effort on my part (I mean to say it is mostly how I look). I know of several people on t-cream who are doing very well and a couple who did their whole transitions (4+ years) on t-cream. I started on very low dose, so that I might be considered to be on it for only 6 months.

There is t-cream and t-gel. The gel is commercial and sold under names Androgel, Testim, etc. T-cream is produced in compounding pharmacies, so there may be differences in t-cream sold by different pharmacies. There may be differences in price. Patch isn't necessarily better. I don't know if sublingual is easy to find.

The disadvantages:
Some people do not absorb it sufficiently to work. This is the biggie.   It may be slower, at least for some people. It is almost always more expensive. (T-cream tends to cost from $40-150/two months; t-gel is more expensive and is usually accessible to people who have health insurance or something like the NHS covering it). Allergies to the actual cream could develop. I haven't heard of this and you can get alternative creams, but it could happen. There is some concern re: giving T to your partner with it. I don't have a partner, but you can do things like use and put on a t-shirt and so on. I know of several people with partners and small children using t-cream. But still could be a concern. Every day use (also an advantage but you have to use every day, which might not be good for some people for various reasons).

Advantages:
NO needles. Steady dose that is the same without highs and lows of injecting. Can make the dose very individualized-- for instance can really start slow and work up and can cut way down at certain times if that's desired. Some people go to t-cream after transitioning or after hysto.

The disadvantages might outweigh the advantages but it is a good method not requiring needles.

I did a video on t-cream when I was about a month on T. If you don't think it works take a look at one of my later videos. I am also older so I may be slower than someone in their 20s. The video is incorrect in that it only lasts 2 months. I now pay $80 a jar. I still agree with everything else I said.

--Jay
  •  

Lauren5

I read somewhere that E creams don't work as well. I guess then the article is wrong, or that T is more easily absorbed through the skin than E.
Using it, you'd know more than I do.
Hey, you've reached Lauren's signature! If you have any questions, want to talk, or just need a shoulder to cry on, leave me a message, and I'll get back to you.
*beep*

Full time: 12/12/13
Started hormones: 26/3/14
FFS: No clue, winter/spring 2014/15 maybe?
SRS: winter/spring 2014/15?
  •  

aleon515

I don't know re: E cream for trans. But very low dose E cream is prescribed for other reasons.

T cream doesn't work as quickly-- or at all for some people. But works fine for some people. Patches are not really common as they are for E. I know several trans women taking them. I have never heard of anyone taking them (well not quite true know someone who took them and they weren't effective). And it isn't too common for guys to take sublingual. I've never heard of that one either.

Cis men and women also take T-cream and I think that t-gel is the most common way T is prescribed for cis-men for so-called "low T" or andropause (lower levels of T in midlife).

Note: You can't see my face that well, but in my avatar picture I am about 5 months on T (and 3 on full dose).

--Jay
  •  

M9848

Part of the problem is the fact that I don't have insurance....so I guess I'm limited to what I can use and I also live in the U.S. and I heard something about issues with buying cream overseas and having it mailed to the states.
  •  

aleon515

Quote from: M9848 on October 17, 2013, 08:43:05 AM
Part of the problem is the fact that I don't have insurance....so I guess I'm limited to what I can use and I also live in the U.S. and I heard something about issues with buying cream overseas and having it mailed to the states.

T-cream an expensive way to go. The cheapest way is to do injections. I would NOT get cream mailed from overseas. If you are talking cheap you don't want the cheapest stuff you can find. There are variables like the cream itself and so on. I would worry re: toxicity with cream from just anywhere. Not to imply that there may not be some place you can get t-cream which is not the US. Just that looking completely for cost, is not really a good idea. I doubt it is legal to export T into the US. So that it is possible you could get something cheaper and then have it stopped in customs and impounded.

If it's just not insurance, well you can get it for under $45/mon. That's still expensive, but it isn't unbelievable. You must deal with compounding pharmacies which have had their own issues with safety and reliability. They aren't regulated the same as traditional pharmacies, which is fine as long as they only do small batch work, which is what they are designed for.

http://www.stroheckersrx.com/ is the go to place. Not where I get mine, but its well respected and legit.
If you live somewhere with a good support group of trans people they might be able to steer you locally.

--Jay
  •