Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Quotes about love

Started by Asche, October 16, 2013, 08:14:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asche

After posting that link to the article on "Lies Depression Tells You" from the blog "The Belle Jar", I looked at some of her other posts, and ran across this one: A Few Truths About Love

I only managed to read a few paragraphs before a verse of a song filled my head:

Some say love, it is a river / that drowns the tender reed.
Some say love, it is a razor / that makes the soul to bleed.
Some say love, it is a hunger / an empty aching need.
I say love, it is a flower / and you, its only seed.

My son -- the one who couldn't make it through two weeks of college, and who has been withdrawing into himself more and more over the past 2 years -- told me yesterday morning that he dreamed (later he said "hallucinated") that he was in a hospital bed dying and he experienced his own death.  He wouldn't talk about it, though.  He repeated it to his mother (my ex) today.  He's on meds, he's seeing an IMHO competent psychotherapist, but he's drowning his sorrows and/or his self in internet, has no friends, and each time he gets interested in something outside his head, he drops it.  Some part of him is trying to tell us something, but I have no idea what.  I love him and want to hear him and do whatever he needs, but wanting doesn't seem to be enough.  And the pros are as lost as I am.

If I'm love's only seed, I must be the one that fell on the rocky ground.

[Edit: fix URL]
"...  I think I'm great just the way I am, and so are you." -- Jazz Jennings

CPTSD
  •  

Taka

that's about the love for a friend or partner or something.

the love that tells me to do whatever it takes to give my daughter the best i can possibly give, is something very different.
of course i'll be hurt. it's still worth it. before i had her, i'd gladly die if that could help my younger siblings live. after i got her, i've decided i simply have to find a way to stay alive no matter what. even if i see no worth in my own life, she sees a worth in it, and thus i will live. even when she wished me dead, i will live, because my love for her forbids me from giving her any reason to regret that wish.

couldn't do that much for her father. that love had a measure, and when all was spent and too little given back, it ended.

and while talking about kids who fail. i've a brother who's failed even high school. can't get anywhere, and every time he's tried, some past trauma has haunted him badly enough that h just had to give up. he's finally started trying again, found some social worker who it seems can be trusted. the sad thing in this, is that our parents haven't been able to do anything to help. the only person in our family whom he talks to is me, possibly because he knows me to not be judgmental, and especially not moralizing, or trying to push him in any direction at all. well, he was helped by our mother taking him to a social services office. but that's as far as she could go, the rest he has to figure out on his own, with those people's help. parents can do so little when the children decide not to trust them. and their reason not to trust can be just one wrong word or action at a bad timing.
  •