Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Transsexual school pupil will never return to being a boy

Started by Amelia Pond, October 21, 2013, 01:51:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amelia Pond

Transsexual school pupil will never return to being a boy
By Julie Gilbert, Oct 21, 2013 10:19

A transsexual school pupil says she will never go back to being a boy.

Stacie McLean (16), who was previously known as Calum, has been cross-dressing in her own time since she was just 12-years-old.

However, she shocked teachers at Calderside Academy when she turned up two weeks ago as Stacie, wearing a female uniform, a wig and full make-up.

That day Stacie, who lives in Springwells, was not allowed to attend class.

However, following discussions with her head of year, the fourth-year pupil was allowed to present herself to classmates as Stacie on Wednesday last week.

A number of parents of other pupils have contacted the Advertiser saying their children are uncomfortable studying alongside a transsexual pupil.

But Stacie says she will never go back to school as Calum.

And she is prepared to explain her situation to younger pupils if they ask.

Stacie said: "I will never go back to school as Calum.

"If they told me I had to go to school as a boy I would leave and get a tutor or something.

"They can't tell a transgender woman to be a man."

She said that following their initial shock, her teachers were very supportive of her choice.
  •  

suzifrommd

Quote from: Amelia Pond on October 21, 2013, 01:51:36 PM
A number of parents of other pupils have contacted the Advertiser saying their children are uncomfortable studying alongside a transsexual pupil.

Wonder how many parents that actually have compassion and humanity are saying their children are uncomfortable studying alongside narrow-minded bigots.

Seriously, though, why doesn't anyone seem to see publicly declaring one's discomfort at someone else merely being where they belong as anything but embarrassingly hostile bigotry?

Have you read my short story The Eve of Triumph?
  •  

j.thompsongirl

I wonder if it's actually the children who are uncomfortable. I feel like it's much more likely that the parents are just using the kids as a shield to for their judgments.
  •  

Gina Taylor

Quote from: suzifrommd on October 21, 2013, 06:40:55 PM
Wonder how many parents that actually have compassion and humanity are saying their children are uncomfortable studying alongside narrow-minded bigots.

Seriously, though, why doesn't anyone seem to see publicly declaring one's discomfort at someone else merely being where they belong as anything but embarrassingly hostile bigotry?

Very well said. After reading the report, I  thought to myself that she is still a student of the school and shouldn't be turned away because teh other students don't understand her and her parents have paid into the school board for her education. So she should be able to still get it one way or another. :)
Gina Marie Taylor  8)
  •