Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Denying my true identity?

Started by Jenna Stannis, November 17, 2013, 02:43:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gabrielle

"Will I regret not transitioning in the way that I want? Probably, but in equal measure I'd likely regret not having been the father that I would have liked to have been for my son."

No one can fault you for putting your needs behind those of the ones you love.  It really is a form of self-sacrifice.

I know many here who have done the same and ended up with partial and incomplete transitions.  In my own case, time and dysphoria have finally caught up with me, but my kids are adults and my relationship with my wife is "stable."

It takes a special kind of person to put their needs on the back-burner.  Too many of us are self-centered, to the detriment of loved ones.  Don't kick yourself for doing it.  At the same time, your circumstances may change.  Keep an open mind, so you don't become a regrettable statistic.
  •  

Jenna Stannis

Quote from: Gabrielle on November 22, 2013, 04:03:38 PM
"Will I regret not transitioning in the way that I want? Probably, but in equal measure I'd likely regret not having been the father that I would have liked to have been for my son."

No one can fault you for putting your needs behind those of the ones you love.  It really is a form of self-sacrifice... It takes a special kind of person to put their needs on the back-burner.

Thanks, Gabrielle, very much appreciated.
I should say, however, that I was trying to express that my decision not to transition is no more self-sacrificing than if I'd decided to transition. That is, I'm no less passionate about my concept of fatherhood, say, than I am about my female identity. So if I were to transition, I would then be sacrificing my shot at my ideal of fatherhood, which I believe is an equally important aspect of my identity.
  •  

Jerri

very interesting comments and question, each and everyone of us has to find the right level of aceptance that we can live with. I struggled through 50 years of male/andro to find I could not go another day hiding myself in as a male. yet at 20 there was no way i had the confidence to come out, although i know I missed a good deal of my life waiting I am bound and determined to make the best of it now allowing myself to be fully expressed, and as it turns out it with the support of my family and friends. my work as grown during that time as well and so far has not asked me to move on, but it was a risk I was willing and ready to make,
Play around for bit and see where your comfort level is and what you and your family can tolerate then start to work out what your doing and who you are.
the hardest part was still me accepting me rather than than others, so many of my fears about coming out and the impact ended up being just that, only my fears nothing else.
I am just a few months into my hrt and hope to be full time just after the first of year so I can start my 1 year count down, but thats me and what works for me.

anyway i wish the best as you work through your choice but know for sure there are plenty of here that can help since we all have many common threads in our lives
and I feel this is great place to seek input and advice as those struggles emerge

xo Jerri leeann
one day, one step, with grace it will be forward today
  •  

Stochastic

In respect to those who have transitioned with a family, it may not a self-centered act but an act of survival (or necessity to function daily). Even from a far, they may function better with family after transition than before.

•  

helen2010

Not sure if this makes sense but this is a topic which resonates with me.
To me denial of one's true identity only occurs when one feels and allows oneself to be shackled to a current state of being, of presentation, of relationship etc  As soon as you question, test, challenge, become open, consider, seek and have new thoughts, perspectives or experience you are in essence expressing yourself, you are reshaping and owning your identity.
Where I am challenged is in accepting that for me change is constant, it is a drug and my identity or indeed much about me cannot be accurately or fully captured using binary terminology.  Hence while my current inertia impels me towards the more classical feminine identity or expression, there is no single endpoint, just an ever changing route and experience.  Enjoying the journey and being fully present while I travel is the expression of my true identity rather than the denial of my identity until I (momentarily) appear to have binarised.
  •  

Catherine Sarah

Hi Gerri,
Moving forward through uncharted waters tends to reveal these experiences you have eluded to. I don't think there is any one final point of destination on this journey. I certainly know the feelings and experiences I've encountered along the way in my journey has validated everything I've known about myself, since the dawn of time. It's a rich tapestry that is being woven in my life, thanks to you and the myriad of others that have, continue and will enrich my life.

Huggs
Catherine

If you're in Australia and are subject to Domestic Violence or Violence against Women, call 1800-RESPECT (1800-737-7328) for assistance.
  •  

LizMarie

Allow me to relay a cautionary tale.

For years and years I rationalized about my own situation. I hid who I am for my kids. I hid who I am for my spouse. I obsessed over hobbies so that I had no free time to dwell on my situation. I rarely showed emotion, and when I did it was often in the form of anger. I told myself I could never pass. I told myself I am a freak who is being punished.

Yet here I am now transitioning anyway. The children for whom I sacrificed so much? They've stopped speaking to me and cut me off from my grandkids. The spouse for whom I suppressed myself? We're going to divorce eventually anyway.

One of my adult children went so far as to say he wished I'd been successful in pursuing suicide, that me killing myself would have been "easier" on him (and his wife, who is freaked out about me).

I didn't transition for my wife, because I loved her, but when I reached the point where I had to do it, or die, I learned that she had never really loved me, had had affairs, and considered me "a penis and a paycheck" and not a very good one at that. (That phrase was actually thrown at me during one of her outbursts.) We stay together now because splitting up would be economically harsh, while she returns to school to freshen her skill set. Then we'll divorce. And despite her making noises about staying "friends", I don't expect her to speak to me except extremely rare instances. She's been lying too, for years, and even when I know she's lying now she is so used to lying to me that she just does it anyway.

So I rationalized just like I read in so many posts here. I was "stoic". I was the one who rarely smiled. Friends joked about how few pictures they had of me ever smiling. My temper would flare and worry some people. And I obsessed over external things, to distract myself from who I really am. For example, I threw myself at youth soccer so much that after 8 years, I was a nationally certified coach and knew almost every kid from the age of 9 to 19 in our soccer club, having coached most of them at one point or another. Do you know how rare nationally certified youth soccer coaches are? I had other obsessions too, each lasting years and eating up large amounts of my time to keep me from slipping further into my own darkness.

And yet here I am, a 56 year old transitioner whose lies and rationalizations eventually led to a precipice - end it all or be myself.

So I am going to say this again - if you can truly be at peace with yourself without transitioning, I am glad for you. But if you are suffering now while denying yourself and rationalizing about yourself, you are on a dangerous road, a very very dangerous road. And if you find that road leading to a question of living or dying, please turn away from that road. No spouse, no child, no rationalization is worth your life.

I wish every one of you not transitioning the best of luck and happiness. But somehow, I fear that some of you will still end up being me all over again someday. And I can say with complete honesty that denying myself for others was the worst mistake of my life. I pray it does not become that for each of you.
The meaning of life is to find your gift. The purpose of life is to give it away.

~ Cara Elizabeth
  •  

helen2010

LizMarie
Thank you for sharing your story. It is certainly a point well made as indeed are the stories of many who have made your journey.  Each person has their own narrative, their own priorities, needs and dreams.  Conscious choice to me is to me the best way of being and of expressing myself.  This means that I will try to make the best decisions for myself and will also consider the impact of others.  I hope to travel safely but if I do reach a serious crisis point then I will need to consider my needs and my safety above the needs of others much as you have needed to do.  I hope that in time your love and sacrifice is honored and respected by your family.  Travel safe.
  •