Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Vegetarian substitute for smoked salmon?

Started by Cindy, December 16, 2013, 01:03:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cindy

I'm making an entree of asparagus with smoked salmon with horse radish sauce for Christmas. Which is delicious and simple to make BTW. But my sister in law is vegetarian, does anyone know of a substitute?
  •  

V M

I don't know of a salmon substitute, but if I understand correctly most vegetarians will eat fish
The main things to remember in life are Love, Kindness, Understanding and Respect - Always make forward progress

Superficial fanny kissing friends are a dime a dozen, a TRUE FRIEND however is PRICELESS

- V M
  •  

Cindy

Quote from: V M on December 16, 2013, 01:13:37 AM
I don't know of a salmon substitute, but if I understand correctly most vegetarians will eat fish

So did I Sis!

But nope she won't eat anything coming from a creature that has eyes! So I asked her about potatoes :laugh:
  •  

V M

The main things to remember in life are Love, Kindness, Understanding and Respect - Always make forward progress

Superficial fanny kissing friends are a dime a dozen, a TRUE FRIEND however is PRICELESS

- V M
  •  

Cindy

•  

big kim

I've seen a few fish free "fish" pates but never tried them.
  •  

Cindy

Quote from: big kim on December 16, 2013, 02:03:34 AM
I've seen a few fish free "fish" pates but never tried them.

That's an idea, I really don"t have time for a lot of preparation as I'm cooking the entire meal and was hoping they could eat entree while I prepared stuff. I want the 'smoky' taste though, I have seen vegetarian smoke (! OMG) which I could add to a pate.
  •  

LordKAT

You can buy veg fish patties if that would work. Personally, they taste bad, but they do exist.

Most vegetarians, if they are vegetarians, don't eat meat. Fish are meat. I've had people tell me it isn't. Well, it isn't vegetable or mineral.
  •  

DriftingCrow

Vegetarians who eat fish are called "pescetarian". Its not truly vegetarian, its just easier to call it that. I grew up pescetarian because my family was 7th Day Adventist, and most 7th days are pescetarian (because Jesus ate fish, it must be okay). People are pescetarian not really so much for animal welfare like some vegans/vegetarians are, but for health reasons -- red meat can be bad for you, fattening, etc. while fish is generally good for you (just find low mercury fish).

When people say "vegetarian (w/o fish)" most people are talking about lacto-ovo vegetarian, which are those who abstain from meat and fish, but will eat eggs and dairy. Vegans are those who abstain from dairy as well.

You should ask if she'll eat a meat substitute, just in case she doesn't like them.

I would make some tofu instead of getting a fish substitute. Tofu is really good if you cook it right (well, I like it raw too), here's some ideas here: http://herbivoracious.com/2012/05/how-to-make-tofu-really-freaking-delicious-tofu-101.html Its good if you cook it on a pan with oil (season beforehand) and cook til it's golden brown, its nice and crunchy on the outside, soft inside, and works well in a sauce, on veggies, or in curry (I like it in Laksa Lemak). If you don't want to do tofu, there's always bean dishes, falafels, eggplant, etc. 
ਮਨਿ ਜੀਤੈ ਜਗੁ ਜੀਤੁ
  •  

Xhianil

Never found anything that replaces it truthfully, everything that I tried tasted bad. Just feel lucky she's not vegan, that's hard to eat/feed.
  •  

barbie

Quote from: Cindy on December 16, 2013, 01:03:56 AM
I'm making an entree of asparagus with smoked salmon with horse radish sauce for Christmas. Which is delicious and simple to make BTW. But my sister in law is vegetarian, does anyone know of a substitute?

Cindy,

Here in my country, there are many Buddhism-style restaurants where all menus are from plants only, but some of them taste like beef or fish. You may find out and try some types of mushroom or eggplant to grill or toast to taste like grilled salmon.

The following dishes are made of plants such as ginseng, lotus, flax, and mushroom.

By the way, I love smoked salmon so much. When I can not find raw fish, I purchase smoked salmon in a nearby supermarket.

barbie~~
Just do it.
  •  

Cindy

Nice suggestions. I have used tofu a lot before. I think I will go for fried tofu with finely chopped mushroom and truffle oil to give the 'bite' of the smoked salmon. I want it crumbly but with texture! I can pre-make this easily I think. The horse radish will blend it I hope.

Just had an email from brother in law that he doesn't like asparagus - great :laugh:

Thank you everyone I really appreciate your thoughts and help.

So the menu is:
Cindy and Rebecca invite you to Christmas Festivities of family, fun, gifts and food.

Menu
(Vegetarian alternatives available)
Entrée:
Asparagus & Smoked Salmon with Horse Radish Sauce
Main:
Ham and Turkey
Lemon Roast Potatoes
Leafy Green Salad
Roast Mushroom with Blue Cheese dressing
Bread Rolls
Dessert:
a la' Nancy
BYO mirth

And anyone who is lonely is welcome to join my table with Love and Acceptance

Hugs
Cindy
  •  

Rachel85

I hope the dinner goes off with a blast Cindy!
Just be careful, if the Monty Python boys are to be trusted a Salmon Mousse can be... to die for... :)

Merry Christmas!
  •