Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

IAGSDC Square Dance Convention

Started by Roberta W, December 24, 2013, 04:39:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roberta W

There will be a National Square Dance Convention sponsored by the IAGSDC being held in Salt Lake City on July 3-6 2014.  This would be a good place to meet some fellow brothers and sisters who will be of a very understanding mind-set for our members.  Square Dancing is fun, good exercise ... And a good way to meet other people from all walks of life.  There is time between now and then to find some basic square dance lessons in most areas if you are interested.
It took a lot of doing, but I take a lot of pride in what I am.
  •  

Devlyn

Hey Roberto, this is a first for me. I've never seen a square dancing event mentioned here. Good work! Hugs, Devlyn
  •  

Tessa James

Square dancing!  Is that too corny or what?  What it is is a very traditional folk dance that is a real hoot and fun to boot.  I have been out square dancing with many groups in Oregon.  We even have a LGBT group, the Rose Town Ramblers www.rosetownramblers.com.

Square dancing had a rural persona and has now been picked up and enjoyed by City slickers in cowboy boots too.  It is a dance with four couples facing each other in a square and a caller playing/singing music and calling the moves.  While there is a traditional american "western" square dance it is world wide and "called" in english everywhere.

It really is fun if not taken too seriously IMO.  Some couples wear elaborate matching outfits and are all about precision and style.  I rather like the hoot and holler fun.  I started dancing prior to transition and coming out was a challenge.  Square dancing doesn't have to mean square attitudes but there are a lot of seniors involved and some of those folks found me hard to handle.  Dance roles are called by gender and there are traditional male and female roles while couples get split up and all may hold hands or dance with another.   I learned the male role but now present as female and that is a challenge to some dancers and callers.  If we get good enough we can learn both roles and dance either part.  Sometimes a woman will dance a male role and in some clubs will wear a sign that says "GUY" or the other way around.  I have given up a bit on some clubs as i present female but dance a male role and refuse to wear a "guy" sign.  An LGBT caller is actually more skilled IMO and doesn't need the gender markers to play the dance and get all the dancers back home again.  Sheesh I guess that was a confusing description but honestly it is fun, good social exercise and I will be out dancing again with the LGBT group next year. 
Open, out and evolving queer trans person forever with HRT support since March 13, 2013
  •  

Roberta W

Hi Tessa ... Thanks for the description for others who may not know the basics of the activity.  I would suggest that any of our brothers & sisters who might be interested seek to find a Gay & Lesbian club in their area.  There are numerous people at the MIT club that even though is not listed as a Gay & Lesbian club wear skirts, some wear makeup, some may be transitioning ... I don't know ... and it does not bother anyone ... It's a neat place for people to socialize ... My wife and I go when we can, and we will be attending the National Gay & Lesbian Square Dance Convention in Salt Lake City next summer ... I'd like to see more of "us" there.  In fact, if Susan's site is interested, the administrators may want to "advertise" that this site exists to help any of the attendees who may be interested ...  Roberto
It took a lot of doing, but I take a lot of pride in what I am.
  •