Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

What comics are you currently reading?

Started by LJP, December 25, 2013, 07:34:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ms Grace

Holidays were pretty good thanks. Fairly quiet and stress free. I'm on vacation at the moment do that is helping me relax. I've been using the extra time to read through my comics backlog, stuff I couldn't bring myself to read before now (including a number of titles I've since dropped)

Hawkgirl is an interesting character, always overshadowed by her more aggressive partner though. She's currently she's starring in Earth 2 where he doesn't exist.

Good luck with your counsellor!
Grace
----------------------------------------------
Transition 1.0 (Julie): HRT 1989-91
Self-denial: 1991-2013
Transition 2.0 (Grace): HRT June 24 2013
Full-time: March 24, 2014 :D
  •  

LJP

I'm a fan of both the hawks. Their backstory is a mess tho. I saw earth 2 it just didn't grab me tho. It's disappointing the big villain event wasn't good. I had high hopes for the csa. I've all ways enjoyed the alternate reality comic stuff. I've been re reading the authority lately.
Be the change you wish to see in the world
  •  

Ms Grace

Earth 2 has been fairly tedious, I must admit. I'm reading out of some vain hope it will gel at some point. But no. It's sad how, other than Superman or Batman, pretty much every character in DC has been retconned, sometimes into an utterly confusing mess. Wonder Woman has had her origin altered too, although I like this new take, makes her more interesting. Let me know what you think!
Grace
  •  

chrissydr

To be honest, I have avoided reading anything about 52. I can't stand the complete revamps of the unoverses that the comca keep doing. I am reading Harley's simply be ause of my decotion to her and how much I loved her, but I dunno if that will be enough if they keep doing so much.  Mght go back to reading a few different ones, but not sure which ones.
I dunno... I was normal, throughout my life, until I turned 4 and realised that I shouldn't be called a he.
  •  

Jenna Stannis

Reliving 1989/90 and reading The Dead Man, (2000AD prog 650–662).
  •  

Ms Grace

Been meaning to ask you Jenna... is your avatar Power Girl by any chance? It's the boob window that makes me wonder! ;D
Grace
  •  

Jenna Stannis

My avatar is an image of... Jenna Stannis, who features in the Marvel UK Blake's 7 strip.

•  

Ms Grace

Fair enough! I never read the comic although I did see the show when it first aired all those years ago. But other than Blake I don't recall any of the other characters or their costumes. I presume Jenna is in the show, did her costume have a boob window too? :)
Grace
  •  

Jenna Stannis

Yes, she was the blonde eye candy. From memory, she didn't ever wear a "boob window"; I imagine Marvel threw that in to spice things up a bit. It was a BBC production, after all.
  •  

LJP

I just read the fifth beatle, and it is excellent. pick it up if you get a chance.
  •  

TerriT

I read a lot of comics. I go to SDCC every year since I was a teenager. I love it. I read about 10-15 titles a month. I don't have time for more. Right now some of my faves are:

East of West
Saga
Wonder Woman
the X-Men book that Terry Dodson is drawing
Almost everything by Mark Millar
Guardians of the Galaxy (And almost everything by Bendis)
Hawkeye <-I love this book

I finally quit Daredevil after like 8 years. I can't keep up with a lot of the avengers/X-books anymore. The DC stuff isn't that compelling although I'm plodding along with Justice League. Someone mentioned Amanda Conner, who I absolutely adore. I will have to post some of my sketches from her. I hope they do well with Harley. I loved the Power Girl run they had. So far, I also really like the new Black Widow book.
  •  

Lara the Lover and the Fighter

I think I have read Saga like a million times.  Brian K Vaughn is a genius!  I really really liked Y: The Last Man.   

Oh and is anyone else absolutely nuts about Blankets by Craig Thompson?

And I can't forget The Adventures of Tin Tin by Herge.

•  

LJP

Quote from: TiffanyT on January 15, 2014, 12:21:31 AM
I read a lot of comics. I go to SDCC every year since I was a teenager. I love it. I read about 10-15 titles a month. I don't have time for more. Right now some of my faves are:

East of West
Saga
Wonder Woman
the X-Men book that Terry Dodson is drawing
Almost everything by Mark Millar
Guardians of the Galaxy (And almost everything by Bendis)
Hawkeye <-I love this book

I finally quit Daredevil after like 8 years. I can't keep up with a lot of the avengers/X-books anymore. The DC stuff isn't that compelling although I'm plodding along with Justice League. Someone mentioned Amanda Conner, who I absolutely adore. I will have to post some of my sketches from her. I hope they do well with Harley. I loved the Power Girl run they had. So far, I also really like the new Black Widow book.

Hi Tiffany,
I need to try hawkeye I've heard it is great. Hmmm I will have to check the widow out too.I'd love to see a scan of your sketches, I'll scan mine and send em too ya. I don't have many got some from dragoncon in Atl. Artist alley was the only reason I went. I loved to watch those guys sketch. It blows my mind.
  •  

LJP

Quote from: Just Lara on January 15, 2014, 01:16:31 AM
I think I have read Saga like a million times.  Brian K Vaughn is a genius!  I really really liked Y: The Last Man.   

Oh and is anyone else absolutely nuts about Blankets by Craig Thompson?

And I can't forget The Adventures of Tin Tin by Herge.

I haven't read blankets I will have to look that one up. I love Vaughn too. I loved runaway,ex machine, and pride of Baghdad. Every time I read pride of baghdad I cry my eyes out.
  •  

Ms Grace

I'm so utterly dubious of archery as a "super power" that it puts me off reading Green Arrow and Hawkeye - the Arrow TV show isn't too bad though and although the idea of someone fighting an alien invasion with a quiver seems dubious at best Hawkeye was pretty good in The Avengers. I might check out the Hawkeye trades because I have been reading good things about it.

I've been reading good things about Saga and I'm tempted but, although I collected the whole series of Y: the Last Man it really annoyed me a lot of the time, especially the conclusion. But I'm willing to give Saga a go... I tried finding a volume one trade at my local but there wasn't one... :/
Grace
  •  

LJP

Quote from: Ms Grace on January 15, 2014, 01:37:27 PM
I'm so utterly dubious of archery as a "super power" that it puts me off reading Green Arrow and Hawkeye - the Arrow TV show isn't too bad though and although the idea of someone fighting an alien invasion with a quiver seems dubious at best Hawkeye was pretty good in The Avengers. I might check out the Hawkeye trades because I have been reading good things about it.

I've been reading good things about Saga and I'm tempted but, although I collected the whole series of Y: the Last Man it really annoyed me a lot of the time, especially the conclusion. But I'm willing to give Saga a go... I tried finding a volume one trade at my local but there wasn't one... :/

Hey Grace,
Saga is worth a look. I got vol. 3 coming . I think it comes out in a month or so.
  •  

TerriT

Hawkeye isn't really a super hero book. It's more like, what kind of life does Clint have outside of the avengers and what kind of trouble does he get in. It's a fantastic book and bounces between him, his dog, some people who live in his apt building, some Russian mobsters and his sidekick/protege Kate Bishop who is really developing as a character. I guess she's not really a sidekick, she was hawkeye in young avengers years ago.
  •  

Ms Grace

Sounds like fun! I'll definitely check out the trades of both Saga & Hawkeye.
Grace
  •  

Lara the Lover and the Fighter

Quote from: LJP on January 15, 2014, 08:28:02 AM
I haven't read blankets I will have to look that one up. I love Vaughn too. I loved runaway,ex machine, and pride of Baghdad. Every time I read pride of baghdad I cry my eyes out.

Your gonna flippin love Blankets!!! (probably)

I'm gonna try Pride of Baghdad.

Quote from: Ms Grace on January 15, 2014, 01:37:27 PM

I can see why it could be a pain in the butt.  Thinking back, the ending was a little wonky.  I wonder if Saga's ending will be the same.....
  •  

LJP

Quote from: Just Lara on January 16, 2014, 12:55:52 AM
Your gonna flippin love Blankets!!! (probably)

I'm gonna try Pride of Baghdad.

I can see why it could be a pain in the butt.  Thinking back, the ending was a little wonky.  I wonder if Saga's ending will be the same.....

Seems like that happens a lot. It's almost like writers aren't as good as crafting an ending. I guess it's fair to point out they work in a medium that usually is ongoing. Maybe they like to leave them open so they can come back to them. Pride is really good. I'm halfway thru the 100 bullets run. God I wish they would make a good show out of that series.
  •